How do you get expereince?

I am in the same catch 22 as probably a lot of you newbies are. I am applying for a C class licence but when it comes to finding a job every one want 180 days experience. But how do you get the experience?? also whats the average wage for a C class or a C+E class driver?? Alot of these brokers are promising jobs from the start but Im guna go alone as its waaaaaaaaay cheaper and I dont trust these promies. Tips are welcome please :laughing: :laughing:

bartonio:
I am in the same catch 22 as probably a lot of you newbies are. I am applying for a C class licence but when it comes to finding a job every one want 180 days experience. But how do you get the experience?? also whats the average wage for a C class or a C+E class driver?? Alot of these brokers are promising jobs from the start but Im guna go alone as its waaaaaaaaay cheaper and I dont trust these promies. Tips are welcome please :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome to TNUK.

First off - do not touch brokers with a very long bargepole. Job promises from them are just that - promises, not jobs.

The 180 days experience rule is not written in stone. Read through this forum, there are lots of tips on getting your first job. Perseverance is the key. Just lately we have had a few impressive ‘first job’ posts.

Average wages vary in different parts of the country. Where are you?

There’s no hard and fast rules fella …
If your gonna use an agency they’ll want or try to get you to be SE or go through an umbrella company which WILL cost you money.

Knocking on doors is the way clean and smart, find out who does the B&Q delivery’s Homebase and other places that will use adhock drivers.

Perseverance is the key to getting a permanent job. There are companies out there that will take on newbies, it’s hard trying to find them, but be up front, show them the qualities you have that could over ride the lack of actual driving experience, and be positive in your approach, regardless of what companies say!
Be prepared to accept a slightly lower rate, even if it does get you the experience to move on, try travelling a little further, a think outside the box. Companies you may not think about having trucks, maybe the type of job your looking for!
Good luck in your search

At the risk of repeating myself

Visit don’t phone tipper and skip firms

Avoid agencies like you’d avoid a ■■■■■■ with AIDS and sharp teeth. They are out to shaft you and not in a good way.

As a newbie it would be nice to think of the pay but unfortunately its experience which is more valuable. Its the key to unlocking the former.

Research companies who take on newbies in your area and target them. Probably better to use agencies as a last resort.

It is a struggle, no question but you just have to keep plugging away.

Thanks guys, Im based in the North west in Lancashire. How much would you expect to earn as a newbie with a C class?? would you recomend me to go for the C+E straight away or just the Cclass 1st?? thanks for the great advice you guys!¬! Much appreciated!!!

bartonio:
Thanks guys, Im based in the North west in Lancashire. How much would you expect to earn as a newbie with a C class?? would you recomend me to go for the C+E straight away or just the Cclass 1st?? thanks for the great advice you guys!¬! Much appreciated!!!

Up here in the North East earnings are around £7.00 ph for CE sometimes a little higher some on £100 per day but that often means a 15 hour day

If it was me go for the CE as can open a lot more doors I know it did for me

£7 per hour!!! realy !!! for a C+E driver. that sounds realy bad money surely not!!! thats just above minimum wage

bartonio:
£7 per hour!!! realy !!! for a C+E driver. that sounds realy bad money surely not!!! thats just above minimum wage

Yep how much did you think drivers were on

Oh Aldi in Darlington do pay more but you have to do more like load/unload at the shops this is for around £10 ph

Go have a look in your area or ask the agency what they are paying as about the same

bartonio:

You can make more money driving a 7.5 tonne lorry in the uk :unamused:
then driving a c+e it’s a sad fact.

bartonio:

But don’t forget its not going to be a set 9 to 5 so although its not great per hour there are many more hours to be worked.

Any farms that operate trucks in the area?
Owner drivers needing holiday cover?
Go to Vosa website on applications/decisions pages that list small to large firms with addresses.
Most firms ignore emails and phone calls.

Hi, first post but been lurking for while. Have been doing agency stuff since 91 on CE between regular job offshore, don’t golf or drink so get bored easily. Some good advice above on doing the footwork rather than emails phonecalls. The only thing I can add is that none of the agencies who keep me busy have ever seen me unshaven, unkempt or without a shirt and tie when I visit the office.
First impression does give you an edge over the fella who turns up in track suit and rigger boots.

Dont think they have ever seen me unshaven but nor in a tie either a skirt poss though

truckster5:

bartonio:

But don’t forget its not going to be a set 9 to 5 so although its not great per hour there are many more hours to be worked.

This man is right! You can work yourself into the ground at £7ph and make yourself tired and weary! But hey, It’s a job!!! :unamused:

7ph lol surly not. Realistically C+E drivers should earn around 8-12 quid an hour if you work for a company. And between 9 and 16 as a ltd driver working for agencies.
Btw you will always hear people rubbishing agencies but if your a good reliable flexable driver who can stand up for him or herself and only use agencies who actually have work. You’ll make much more and have more freedom.
I also live in NW plenty of work around. Just get whatever work you can for 12 months get C+E then the world is your oyster.

nightstar:
7ph lol surly not.

I’m afraid so and some working for less than that! :unamused: