How do you forget?

Hi all,

got a question.

One of our ‘experienced’ (he been driving trucks for 25 years) drivers got the sack last week. he arrived at a customer, parked on an incline, jumped out the cab to go to the goods-in office and somehow forgot to apply his parking brake!!!, and apprantly before he realised what he hadnt done his truck had gathered momentum and rolled into staff cars and knocked down part of a brick wall in the proccess. I havent been doing this for all that long but surely its second nature??, you come to a stop and you apply the park brake? like riding a bike you never forget?? especially on a hill??

laters
gregz

I couldn’t find a halo for you :laughing:

It happens, even ‘second nature’ stuff can be overlooked on occasion if your mind is elsewhere. As you say you haven’t been doing this long and it is an almost certainty that you will one day overlook something important that you normally do without even thinking about it.

When your heads up your arris you can forget a lot of things mate.This job can do your head in at the best of times,so forgetting the hand brake is not a rare thing :blush:

Surely when hes stopped on this incline hes took his foot off the brake and its starrted rolling then? Load of ■■■■ and bull hes only noticed when hes jumped out… Some 25yrs experience?

Happened to me a few year ago so i can’t really criticise, i was doing the legs, pushed the trailer brake the whole lot started moving :open_mouth: Luckily i was quick enough to pull the trailer brake back on.

Stuff on your mind, someone nipping your head as you about to get out the truck lots of things can cause it. The daf i have at the moment has a nice chap who shouts at you saying ‘‘caution handbrake not applied’’ which is a pretty good invention.

Something ain’t right :unamused:
How long had this chap worked for this Copmpany?
Why didn’t the vehicle start to move as soon as he took his foot off the brake?

Nah, soz but I think there’s more to this :confused: :confused: :confused:

scottishcruiser:
Surely when hes stopped on this incline hes took his foot off the brake and its starrted rolling then? Load of ■■■■ and bull hes only noticed when hes jumped out… Some 25yrs experience?

The world is full of experts that never make a mistake, must be frustrating living on the same planet as those of us that do.

dinosteveus1:

Hi

I dont know how long, i only know what i was told in the yard, sorry mate,

groovy greg:
Hi all,

got a question.

One of our ‘experienced’ (he been driving trucks for 25 years) drivers got the sack last week. he arrived at a customer, parked on an incline, jumped out the cab to go to the goods-in office and somehow forgot to apply his parking brake!!!, and apprantly before he realised what he hadnt done his truck had gathered momentum and rolled into staff cars and knocked down part of a brick wall in the proccess. I havent been doing this for all that long but surely its second nature??, you come to a stop and you apply the park brake? like riding a bike you never forget?? especially on a hill??

laters
gregz

How many times do you wait at traffic lights or junctions and the driver in front has their foot on the brake rather than apply the handbrake. Your assumption is incorrect.

groovy greg:

dinosteveus1:

Hi

I dont know how long, i only know what i was told in the yard, sorry mate,

Ahhhhh ‘Yard Speak’, that explains it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I take it you don’t know this chap or spoken to him about the ‘incident’?

waddy640:

scottishcruiser:

The world is full of experts that never make a mistake, must be frustrating living on the same planet as those of us that do.

Dont take the PET waddy but common sense if your on an incline, even before jumping out of the cab, the lorry would roll back?

dinosteveus1:

It is quite possible to leave a vehicle on a slight incline with the brake off and it doesn’t start to move straight away. The act of slamming the driver’s door shut after getting out could be enough to start it moving.

scottishcruiser:

waddy640:

scottishcruiser:

Dont take the PET waddy but common sense if your on an incline, even before jumping out of the cab, the lorry would roll back?

It does depend of the actual gradient of the incline what speed it will attain. It also depends how far the driver has gone before he notices and whether he can return to the vehicle in time.

i’ve done it, not quite the same situation though, i’ve backed under a loaded trailer, coupled up, raised the legs and knocked the trailer brake off and everythings started moving! not done anything like that since, i sometimes even go back now to double check i’ve got the hand brake on even though i know i have.
i’m sure theres many a driver who’s done exactly what this fella did but the wagons started moving before they’ve jumped out.

paul b:
i’ve done it, not quite the same situation though, i’ve backed under a loaded trailer, coupled up, raised the legs and knocked the trailer brake off and everythings started moving! not done anything like that since, i sometimes even go back now to double check i’ve got the hand brake on even though i know i have.
i’m sure theres many a driver who’s done exactly what this fella did but the wagons started moving before they’ve jumped out.

Far more than will admit to it, I confess I did once and now always recheck. The problem is that it is an automatic reaction, like driving through green traffic lights, you sometimes have a doubt in your mind.

been on agency this last couple of weeks driving newish wagons and i thnk everyone has had a warning buzer that sounds if you try and open the drivers door without the hand brake on, not a bad idea really.

groovy greg:
Hi all,

got a question.

laters
gregz

You have alot to learn, I’ve do this coming off the ferry, queing up, a bit sleepy, you think you put the handbrake on, next thing you think the truck in front is reversing in to you, until you hit the footbrake out of panic. just because something is second nature, doesn’t mean you can’t forget.

Dieseldogsix:

groovy greg:
Hi all,

got a question.

laters
gregz

You have alot to learn, I’ve do this coming off the ferry, queing up, a bit sleepy, you think you put the handbrake on, next thing you think the truck in front is reversing in to you, until you hit the footbrake out of panic. just because something is second nature, doesn’t mean you can’t forget.

Murphy’s law says that even if you’re parked on a 1in 3 incline and forget to apply the park brake the thing will just sit there and let you get out of the zb cab and walk half a mile down the zb road before the zb thing will start rolling down the hill. :imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wilkinsons units have a thing where if you open the door with the park brake off a fappin loud whistle goes off, just what you need to wake you up when the doors not shut right so you open it to slam it harder as you move off!!

Trouble is, the park brake has to be applied and door shut to stop the bloody thing. Works well though and I think it’s a retro-fit kinda thing.