How do you feel about

… rearward facing dashcams with microphones?

I was talking with our garage manager the other day, and he told me a few of the new motors have forward and rearward dashcams with microphones. He had to watch about half an hour of a driver’s dashcam video for some reason. He told me the driver was on a hands free phone for the entire time and was talking with his wife. This got me thinking.

My whole life I’ve always given privacy prime value, and for me, rearward facing dashcams with microphones are a step too far. I often take out friends and girlfriends and don’t wish for our conversations to be continually monitored. I sometimes play my ipod, and yes, one or two of the tracks are by the Spice Girls :blush: and I often hold philosophical conversations with myself to relieve boredom. I feel really uncomfortable knowing I’m being filmed and recorded constantly and this taps into one of the reasons I decided to be a lorry driver - to be on my own, in a private space.

Luckily, as of yet, I still drive the older motors without such devices, and I would be able (just) to tolerate forward facing dashcams - mainly because they aren’t that bad of an idea, especially if you do take a pride in your driving and drive well. But rearward facing with microphones? For me that’s the final straw because of the way I value privacy, and if I couldn’t block them with blu-tak it would be a factor is changing jobs or career - I feel very strongly about this.

But what about you? How do you feel about rearward facing dashcams and microphones? What are your thoughts on this?

I did search to see if this topic has been addressed before and couldn’t find anything recent, or from the first few pages, so excuse me if this is “that thread again”.

My gaffer can watch me sing pick my nose scratch my balls and holler at traffic all he wants. Wouldn’t make the most interesting viewing though

ezydriver:

I was talking with our garage manager the other day, and he told me a few of the new motors have forward and rearward dashcams with microphones. He had to watch about half an hour of a driver’s dashcam video for some reason. He told me the driver was on a hands free phone for the entire time and was talking with his wife. This got me thinking.

My whole life I’ve always given privacy prime value, and for me, rearward facing dashcams with microphones are a step too far. I often take out friends and girlfriends and don’t wish for our conversations to be continually monitored. I sometimes play my ipod, and yes, one or two of the tracks are by the Spice Girls :blush: and I often hold philosophical conversations with myself to relieve boredom. I feel really uncomfortable knowing I’m being filmed and recorded constantly and this taps into one of the reasons I decided to be a lorry driver - to be on my own, in a private space.

Luckily, as of yet, I still drive the older motors without such devices, and I would be able (just) to tolerate forward facing dashcams - mainly because they aren’t that bad of an idea, especially if you do take a pride in your driving and drive well. But rearward facing with microphones? For me that’s the final straw because of the way I value privacy, and if I couldn’t block them with blu-tak it would be a factor is changing jobs or career - I feel very strongly about this.

But what about you? How do you feel about rearward facing dashcams and microphones? What are your thoughts on this?

I did search to see if this topic has been addressed before and couldn’t find anything recent, or from the first few pages, so excuse me if this is “that thread again”.

Personally I don’t think it’s right that someone can watch you 24-7 in a cab that a lot of drivers is also there home for the week, simple solution, throw some tape over the rear facing camera, and if you can get access to the memory card in them, insert it into your laptop and change the sound function/record, to mute [SMIRKING FACE]

They can watch me doing my job all they want. If they don’t like the way I do it, then that’s up to them, best they start investing in some serious robotic technology. I’m a straight shooter and I don’t believe in saying anything about someone that I wouldn’t say to their face. They would get bored of watching long before they found anything really juicy.

F-reds

A lot of trucks nowadays have forward facing cameras to protect against the ‘crash for cash’ mobs and other ne’er do wells trying to claim against hauliers. The only backward cameras (till now) have been on the reverse of vehicles, or down the sides to spot errant cyclists.

I should think there would be little entertainment value in watching the average trucker. Hours of being bored, the inevitable ‘FFS’ when the motorway comes to a standstill again, another bacon sandwich being inserted into the facial orifice sideways. Man it would be more tedious than watching celebrity big brother…

1. get the mrs or mate to take a picture from just behind the cam.
  2. print off said picture
  3. place said picture in front of camera
  4. place I player or device with small speakers next to microphone on full blast
  5. enjoy

How long before the worlds most annoying and naive bloody statement ever rears its ugly head? If you’ve nothing to hide, you’ve nothing to worry about. :imp:

I wouldn’t be happy, but as long as I was informed beforehand I could then make a decision about my continued employment there.

Wonder how long it’d take to catch someone, shagging their missus/■■■■■■/knocking one out, with some of the fluid stains I’ve seen on beds not long is my guess!

I’d like a forward facer, plus any others dotted around the outside of the lorry are fine by me, better chance of proving my side of things if anything happens, if i’m to blame i put me hands up anyway.

But i aint putting up with a camera pointed straight at me ugly mug, microphoned or not.

Bloody Stazi would be having ■■■■■■ wet dreams over what we are sleep walking into in this country.

Obviously my face will have to pixilated, because of all the undercover work I did with the unit :wink:

If your employer doesn’t trust you there ain’t much point in working for them, But if i came across such devices, both mic and rearward facing camera would suffer a fatal accident with a cup of coffee or similar,

Forward facing, furry ■■■■. Pointed at me, no chance, I is shy.

Forward facing fair enough was thinking about getting one (not works idea was mine) but rear facing with microphone? No ta very muchly work should trust drivers to do what they are payed for if they dont and want to spy on us all day then its time to move jobs.

ezydriver:

I would think they’re only legal with your express permission. I havn’t checked. The camera you’re talking about would be filming and recording specifically YOU, all the time.

Mike-C:

ezydriver:

I would think they’re only legal with your express permission. I havn’t checked. The camera you’re talking about would be filming and recording specifically YOU, all the time.

Agreed!

Don’t know how it would stand up in court if a company tried to sack somebody using evidence took off a forward facing camera for things other than accident purposes as it is an invasion of privacy plus the cameras are there for accident purposes and nothing more. It’s like a driver rigging up a mike in the traffic office without them knowing and finding out what gets said when the phone gets put down to them.

wouldn’t give a monkeys tbh, worst they’d see is me muttering an expletive about another driver.

Until some office ■■■■ uploads it to Youtube and makes you a national laughing stock… :wink:

I would dearly like to know who the smalldicks behind this latest nail-in-the-coffin are, sos I can wire **their** office/living room/bedroom 24/7 and let them know about it the instant they do or say something that offends **my** delicate sensibilities. Havent these pervy ■■■■■■■■ got enough actual real work to do in a day, without indulging in pointless voyeuristic liberties?
Its not about whether you have anything to hide, its about being treated like a responsible and professional adult, and not some lump of crud that can`t be trusted to be let out of sight.

I won`t tolerate it - I find the whole idea demeaning, insulting and utterly contemptible. :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: