How do you drive a Scania?

So, lads and lassies, I’ve worked my way up to driving a Scania! :metal::metal::metal:

…and I have a few questions.

The midlife obviously lowers automatically as required, is there any chance it could be set to raise automatically when not required to add traction?

What do any of these buttons do please?

The EXT with the green light I mean!

Is that the proximity sensor? Does green light mean it’s off? I never hear it. (The car in a circle)

sorry don’t know the answer to your question but the one time i drove a scania i know i had issues with the midlift bloody warning light seemed completely counter intuitive.

what do you think of the scania compared to the mercs you used to drive? I absolutely hated it. far to complicated for absolutely no reason wouldn’t go up a dry slope that the merc would go up with the midlift up or down and tacky build quality

AEB

Yeah pretty happy with it. It’s a P450 at 12’6" with a flatbed. Managed to get up the Beaconsfield hill in the wet alright , empty with the wheels spinning at 20-30 mph :joy: Midlife was up. But when it’s empty , it MUST be up.

Thanks Franglais, love a manual :+1:
It doesn’t match exactly, but explained a thing or two.

The night heater doesn’t work. It says error when you start it and switches itself off. Work know about it and obviously have no intention of getting it fixed. Is there anything I can try to get it to work?

i take it that you could go up the hill before with out the wheels spinning? As i said i only ever did one shift in the scania it might be that given a day or two more i could of worked out the quirks and made it play ball

I would say that it’s less complicated than the Merc which had all the bells and whistles to drive itself. But not as simple as a simpleton DAF!
Build quality seems to be fine (night heater aside). Hard to say because it’s filthy (nature of the work)

No I hadn’t done it in a truck before, it’s really steep.
Can’t remember the name or number, but with a roundabout at the bottom.

the one i had had 8 or 9 switches/buttons for the interior cab lights a 23 plate merc i have driven with the screen had 2 sliders if i remember correctly for brightness and one button to turn them on and off

i know you had to help me with the finer points of the cruse control though

Yeah tbh I spent a whole day in darkness the scania cab because id switched off the lights somehow and couldn’t find the switch. But actually it’s quite simple and also it’s the only switch that’s backlit when it’s in darkness.

Knowing how you blokes think Scania is the pinnacle, I must restrain, I must restrain. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’ll leave you with a picture, though.
download (9)

1 Like

There was previously a photo of a “Scania Babe” somewhere wasn`t there? The image is still imprinted on my retinas… :anguished:

Without resorting to spanners, check that the air intake isn`t blocked by dust and fluff. Or by old underpants.

Sometimes the glow plug needs replacing, but don`t play with that unless you know what you are about. 15 minute fix in a workshop.

1 Like

EXT is for controlling external equipment outside the vehicle. tailift, grab, etc.

This covers most of it:

Switches & Driver Info

1 Like

would that be pto in non scania speak

i might of sent that image to my friend that now works at the company i worked at and raves about the scanias:))