How do I keep record of drivers hours in a diary

Hello, I start my first driving job next week and I wonder how I keep a manual record of my drivers hours could anyone help me and show me how to keep it recorded in a diary thank you

I always had for each day

Start time/ Finish time

Total hours worked as well as total minus breaks

I used to mark “d1, d2,d3” etc for each driving time.
This lets you see how many hours youve driven for that day to avoid going over your 9 hrs to many times

Records of all time on break (eg 17 + 36 + 18) and a total of all those times.

Any POA used (Yes,I used to use it sometimes before anyone jumps in. Shoot me!)

Total hours for the week and at the end of the week id add up my total hours for each day to give total hours driven and worked for each week

With regards to working out averages for WTD and total driving hours for two week periods, reduced rests, when weekly rests need taken, earliest you can start etc, I used a site called mydrivinghours.co.uk.
You need to enter all the times manually which is where the diary comes in handy but it works everything out for you and keeps you right.

Just do a print-out and transfer the info from there.

Sidevalve:

Or, just do a print out, and staple it the page in your diary for the day worked…

Modern Tacho`s tell you how much you have done during the day / week / fortnight :wink:

Stanley Mitchell:

Sidevalve:

Or, just do a print out, and staple it the page in your diary for the day worked…

Modern Tacho`s tell you how much you have done during the day / week / fortnight :wink:

They do but I still like to keep a record myself.

I use a spreadsheet on my phone which is stored on some cloud somewhere…

toonsy:

Stanley Mitchell:

Sidevalve:

They do but I still like to keep a record myself.

I use a spreadsheet on my phone which is stored on some cloud somewhere…

I actually run a weekly spreadsheet for my lads, they text me with their hours, and I add them to the relevant columns…

It makes life easier all round, especially when one is too eager to get another shift in with not enough hours, or another is trying it on to escape an extra shift with plenty of hours left… :wink:

I also include where they have parked, how much it cost, and all the bridge tolls ect., makes for an easy “suss” when doing the wages ect… :slight_smile:

Ilxsmithy123:
Hello, I start my first driving job next week and I wonder how I keep a manual record of my drivers hours could anyone help me and show me how to keep it recorded in a diary thank you

Pretty much the same as the The-Snowman, when I started I used to keep a record start and finish times, hours worked, driving hours and where I’d been to add to my time sheet.
The diary I had was a week on each page, so at the end of each week I’d total it all up and and put that at the bottom of the page and also made a note of when I had to make up for a reduced weekly rest period.
(also noted reduced daily rests, but they dropped needing to compensate for them years ago)

However with modern technology, I’m surprised there isn’t an app to that will do this.
I know many trucks will give you loads of information about your hours; the information system on a Scania seems quite comprehensive, not sure if they have a different system for the Tang spec though, which just says “Crack On”. :laughing:

P.S. Please note if you’re are one of those Tang drivers or somebody who likes to take offence on behalf of others, the comment was meant as a bit of gentle banter and I hope it would be taken in the same way as I’d take comments about Norfolk people being a bunch of 6 fingered, webbed feet, inbreeds. :wink:

I just press button on steering wheel, and all the information is there, daily time weekly totals.

The-Snowman:
I always had for each day

Start time/ Finish time

Total hours worked as well as total minus breaks

I used to mark “d1, d2,d3” etc for each driving time.
This lets you see how many hours youve driven for that day to avoid going over your 9 hrs to many times

Records of all time on break (eg 17 + 36 + 18) and a total of all those times.

Any POA used (Yes,I used to use it sometimes before anyone jumps in. Shoot me!)

Total hours for the week and at the end of the week id add up my total hours for each day to give total hours driven and worked for each week

With regards to working out averages for WTD and total driving hours for two week periods, reduced rests, when weekly rests need taken, earliest you can start etc, I used a site called mydrivinghours.co.uk.
You need to enter all the times manually which is where the diary comes in handy but it works everything out for you and keeps you right.

+1.Its also handy for wrighting down any deviations from the rules.Ie.Rta or some holdup.Or any other excuse you care to come up with.Then do a printout.Staple it to relavant page.If you ever do get stopped by dvsa.Its all there for them to see.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

just out of curiosity as some of us are on a different planet here.
is there anyone else reading this that keeps no written record whatsoever except now and again does a printout pack of lies to cover tipping off the card?
or has never done a manual apart for the same reason? :confused:
i dont know anyone personally that does .

I keep a diary of when my I start, when my card goes in and vehicles and trailers i use, destinations and just bits and Bob’s. I also download my card to tachomaster and it works it all out as well. It costs a £1 a week more or less but gives all my info to me via my phone

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

dieseldog999:
is there anyone else reading this that keeps no written record whatsoever except now and again does a printout pack of lies to cover tipping off the card?

Was thinking the same…

This is a bit like the blokes who say they use their satnav after only carefully checking the route in at least 3 hgv map books, and who presumably pull over and do the same every time the satnav reroutes them.

dieseldog999:

I keep no written record whatsoever, don’t fill a diary in, and can’t remember the last time I did a printout.
I got pulled for a roadside tacho check a couple of weeks ago and had no infringements at all, even got complimented by DVSA for having a clean sheet and obviously knowing what I was doing.

dieseldog999:

Nope, nothing, never have!

I’ll do a printout and write on the back if I went over hours etc, but that’s it, don’t need anything else

Apart from a printout and stapled to the date in your diary the next best thing is a Pen or Pencil and enter manualy :laughing: :laughing:

It can be useful for a new or newish driver to keep a record of what they do, and for an agency driver it can be very useful.

Probably less important now we have digital tachographs but a work record can still be useful.

Sent from my mobile.

Does anyone have a copy of there manual diary so I know how others lay it out. Thanks for all the guidence

muckles:

Ilxsmithy123:

Pretty much the same as the The-Snowman, when I started I used to keep a record start and finish times, hours worked, driving hours and where I’d been to add to my time sheet.
The diary I had was a week on each page, so at the end of each week I’d total it all up and and put that at the bottom of the page and also made a note of when I had to make up for a reduced weekly rest period.
(also noted reduced daily rests, but they dropped needing to compensate for them years ago)

However with modern technology, I’m surprised there isn’t an app to that will do this.
I know many trucks will give you loads of information about your hours; the information system on a Scania seems quite comprehensive, not sure if they have a different system for the Tang spec though, which just says “Crack On”. :laughing:

P.S. Please note if you’re are one of those Tang drivers or somebody who likes to take offence on behalf of others, the comment was meant as a bit of gentle banter and I hope it would be taken in the same way as I’d take comments about Norfolk people being a bunch of 6 fingered, webbed feet, inbreeds. :wink:

I joined Tachomaster got a terminal and just download my card. I also keep a spreadsheet.

Ilxsmithy123:

with a pen and a bit of paper!!

There is a great app for that

play.google.com/store/apps/deta … ottydog.tt