How do I go about this (tacho/digi/driver book)

Hi guys not been on for a while but due to inconsistent overtime I’m now looking again for weekend temp work

So I’ll be applying for my digi card, the problem is my midweek regular job I just use a driver’s hours book. What would change if I had a digicard in my possession?

I usually book 2-3 hours driving as there is some work in between being a suction tanker. And the jobs are within a 5 mile radius of the depot (local authority)

Obviously I’d be using the digicard for any temp work I find, which would be a shift or two on the weekend possibly consider full-time if it was a very good number and there was a vacancy.

Thanks

bigbadjay:
Hi guys not been on for a while but due to inconsistent overtime I’m now looking again for weekend temp work

So I’ll be applying for my digi card, the problem is my midweek regular job I just use a driver’s hours book. What would change if I had a digicard in my possession?

I usually book 2-3 hours driving as there is some work in between being a suction tanker. And the jobs are within a 5 mile radius of the depot (local authority)

Obviously I’d be using the digicard for any temp work I find, which would be a shift or two on the weekend possibly consider full-time if it was a very good number and there was a vacancy.

Thanks

I’m assuming that the driving you do in your mid week job is under domestic regulations ?

You will be required to cary your driver card with you at all times when driving HGVs, the work you do in your usual job including any driving done under domestic regulations will be counted as other work for the EU regulations, however be aware that driving under EU regulations counts as driving time for domestic regulations.

When you use your driver card you will not be required to record your usual work in it because it’s recorded in a log book which you should carry with you when in-scope of EU regulations.

When you use a digital tachograph the time since the last time you ejected the card should be recorded with the ? symbol if you use a type 2 tachograph, a type 1 digital tachograph won’t require you to do anything for the time since you last ejected the card.

tachograph:

bigbadjay:

Thanks

I’m assuming that the driving you do in your mid week job is under domestic regulations ?

You will be required to cary your driver card with you at all times when driving HGVs, the work you do in your usual job including any driving done under domestic regulations will be counted as other work for the EU regulations, however be aware that driving under EU regulations counts as driving time for domestic regulations.

When you use your driver card you will not be required to record your usual work in it because it’s recorded in a log book which you should carry with you when in-scope of EU regulations.

When you use a digital tachograph the time since the last time you ejected the card should be recorded with the ? symbol if you use a type 2 tachograph, a type 1 digital tachograph won’t require you to do anything for the time since you last ejected the card.

I thought that every bit of work you did, had to go on the digicard including any domestic driving/warehouse/van?

Eat My BB:
I thought that every bit of work you did, had to go on the digicard including any domestic driving/warehouse/van?

No, only work that comes in-scope of EU regulations needs to be recorded on a driver card, and event then only if the vehicle is fitted with a digital tachograph.

Work done on domestic regulations can be recorded on log sheets, other work such as work done on none driving work days can be manually recorded on charts or printouts.

Would I be restricted at all on weekends driving mid week for approx 15hours mon-fri? And yes it’s domestic regulations I record my driving in a log book and only ever used a log book nothing else!

bigbadjay:
Would I be restricted at all on weekends driving mid week for approx 15hours mon-fri? And yes it’s domestic regulations I record my driving in a log book and only ever used a log book nothing else!

The problem you will have is that in any week that that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you must have a weekly rest period, legally your usual job would count as other work for the EU regulations so put that together with any work you do on EU regulations and you may not be able to get a regular weekly rest period every week.

Working Monday to Friday in your usual job you could certainly work in-scope of EU regulations one day every second weekend, but whether or not you could legally do more than that would depend on the time you finish on Friday and the time you start again on Monday.

Basically if you can fit in a regular 45 hour weekly rest period as well as a shift on Saturday or Sunday you could do a shift every weekend, most people working Monday to Friday can only fit in an extra shift every second week but there are exceptions.

It’s not the amount of driving you do in the week that restricts you it’s the fact that you need a weekly rest period in weeks that you work in-scope of EU regulations.

The OP could record his domestic hours work on his digi card if the vehicle he is driving is fitted with a digi tachograph on out of scope and his daily and weekly rest periods, and his in scope weekend work, saving him the trouble of having to carry a logbook (or do away with a logbook altogether) when doing his weekend work, thereby keeping a 100% record of his working week in one place.