How do i back up a pvr?

Happy new year,

Right after going mad recording lots of things over the festive period my Hard disc recorder is now nearly full.

Is there a way to back up my movies from the recorder to dvd’s via my laptop?

Any thoughts?

:confused: :confused:

Depends on what ‘out’ sockets/connections it has.

The connections on the rear are

2x scart
Left/right RcA
CVBS (yellow rca type)
optical out

and a rs232 socket.

I have a Humax digital recorder which came with stacks of instructions,cables and a CD.
I have not read all the instructions or played the CD in the 2 years I’ve had the device as I have found I can use all the facilities I need at the moment with just the basic instructions.
I have not yet managed to fill the memory with unseen events,this model holds 160 hours of entertainment.
If I ever get a full memory I may well read the full instructions to find out what else I can do with it.

what brand of pvr bones

also what connections uve got on ur pc

farmer:
what brand of pvr bones

also what connections uve got on ur pc

Its a digihome DTR160 (asda own brand?)

Laptop just got standard Usb and card reader ports :neutral_face:

I bought a pvr, and couldn’t wait to unload the poxy thing. I bought a Panasonic HD recorder with two HDD’s and two HD tuners. It holds 350 Gb and is real easy to get on with. I can edit on the hard drive, copy to dvd, copy from dvd to HDD , and watch a dvd while I’m recording two programmes if I want. Maybe you should toss the PVR off the Humber / Forth / Dartford, etc bridge next time you’re around one of them. :smiley:

AFAIK, the only way to do it would be either:

a) Get a TV tuner for your computer, connect the two via UHF (aerial) cable and play the pvr while recording it on the computer (Could take days)
or
b) Take the hard drive out and plug it into your computer, or (if you’ve only got a laptop) get an external drive enclosure so you can plug it into a usb socket. (There’s a choice of SATA or PATA, it will probably be a SATA drive, but check before you buy - pics here and here) Then copy and paste

Like I said, find a nice high bridge.

arronls:
There’s a choice of SATA or PATA, it will probably be a SATA drive,

The HDD in my recorder is an eSATA, which has a different connection to normal SATA.

marcustandy:

arronls:
There’s a choice of SATA or PATA, it will probably be a SATA drive,

The HDD in my recorder is an eSATA, which has a different connection to normal SATA.

I’d never spotted that, I just assumed they were the same. :blush:

In that case you’ll have to add this to the list as well, that can be connected with something like this

or

peterm:
find a nice high bridge.

:smiley:

Looks like the bridge option :laughing:

Trust me. :sunglasses:

Have you asked 26 years an LGV Trainer? He normally has tips for drivers :stuck_out_tongue: