How do I add provisional coach entitlement if I hold C+E?

I wonder if anyone could answer a couple of questions that are puzzling me.

Firstly, I hold a C+E licence, but if I want to add provisional coach entitlement do I have to go through another medical even though I had one to get my Cat C provisional?

Secondly, as I hold a C+E and have Grandfather’s rights for the HGV CPC until 2014, do I have to do the CPC if I go for my coach licence as I know the CPC has already been in place for coaches for a year , so I wondered if I’m exempt from it?

Thanks for any help

When I tried to apply for a provisional cat D I was told I needed a medical, AIUI this was because over a year has lapsed since I’d last sent one to the DVLA.

mrpj:
When I tried to apply for a provisional cat D I was told I needed a medical, AIUI this was because over a year has lapsed since I’d last sent one to the DVLA.

Correct.

Most newbies are now encouraged to tick the D prov box when applying for C prov as that then covers the medical for both C & D

As this is not the case for your good self then you may need a seperate medical but then both the D & C medicals will run together from the date of the D medical so in future only one wil be needed for both.

You will have to do the PCV INITIAL CPC - the LGV aquired rights exemption for the driver CPC does not count for PCV as the senarios for module 2 and the practical for module 4 are different.

In other words, you will have to do everything that a complete newbie that has just a B (car) licence has to do.

Thanks to you both for the answers. I’ll phone up about a medical and get that sorted then.

Also, do they include the CPC with the driver training and how many modules do you have to do and how long does it take?

Cheers :slight_smile:

jay110:
do they include the CPC with the driver training

Usually yes - ask what modules are included - there are 4 in total with module 1 being in 2 parts

Module 1a theory questions - multiple choice
Module 1b HPT
Module 2 Initial driver cpc theory - senario questions - multiple choice
Module 3 practicle drive
Module 4 Initial driver cpc - practical on site (no driving)

Both 1a & 1b must be passed before taking 3
2 must be passed before taking 4

1a, 1b & 2 done at theory test centre
3 & 4 done at PCV/LGV driving test centre

You do not have to do all the modules with the same training provider.
You may find that it is cheaper to shop around for the best deal for each module

jay110:
how long does it take?

Depends on many things - theory test centre booking slots - when a school has a slot to train you - if you pass each test first time etc…

You will have to do the PCV INITIAL CPC - the LGV aquired rights exemption for the driver CPC does not count for PCV as the senarios for module 2 and the practical for module 4 are different.

The UP side is that you will only need to complete one lot of 35hrs periodic training and that will cover you for both truck and bus. The modules you take can be a mix and match of the two sectors or you can do all the 35 hrs on one sector and it will still count for both truck and bus.

Madness, but that’s how it is. Good luck :laughing: :laughing:

That lets you know just how useful and relevent the CPC.is. A bus drivers duties are in no way similar to a lorry drivers job and vice versa.applies.

alamcculloch:
That lets you know just how useful and relevent the CPC.is. A bus drivers duties are in no way similar to a lorry drivers job and vice versa.applies.

Hmm… tacho regs - customer service - first aid …

ROG:

alamcculloch:

Hmm… tacho regs - customer service - first aid …

Bus driver/coach drivers are 2 completely different things workwise… :wink: