How crazy/stupid to do training+tests in other part of UK

Failed first time on rigid with 2 serious. Given how bad I was to begin with, I’m not too upset.

But realistically, and I’m not trying to be negative, it would take me another couple of tests to pass. This is a busy area to do a test in.

Which made me consider taking a 12 day holiday up somewhere in Scotland where the pass rate is nearer to 70% than 40% - is this an insane thing to even think of? I could get in 8 to 10 days training and take a couple of tests. There would be the cost of staying in a B&B/hostel, but other than that the cost overall would the same as training + 2 tests where I am down here in England.

Sorry to hear about your test matey,

My advice would be to stick with it, when you do pass and start driving for a living you will be driving on busy roads and in busy areas for most days anyway, so if you can grit your teeth and get a pass in this type of traffic it will put you in good stead for the real world.

Good luck with whatever you do.

John.

The DSA do not know publish test routes for a reason

Their reasoning is that a LGV driver should be able to drive safely and cope with all situations no mattter where they are or what roads they use

If you feel that more LGV training is required then consult with your instructor

If you think your instructor is crap then go elsewhere for an assessment

If it is your general road driving then perhaps you might consider putting the LGV training on hold for a while and contacting one of the advanced driving organisations

Plenty to think on

Firstly, sorry to hear it didn’t work out for you. I can only speak from experience, but we have a steady flow of candidates from all over the UK and rarely do we have a problem. I used to make a point of undertaking some sort of training course every year myself and always went away to avoid the distractions of work and home.
All the best for your next test - wherever that may be. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi mate /
I Also am sorry to here that you failed your C test I failed my C1st time at Atherton so you are not on your own i dont know where in the uk you are mate but I did pass 2nd time round although i did and still do have a Huge negative about Atherton test Centre …Given the choice i would have taken it at Kirkam just outside Blackpool but i didnt have a say in the test Centre . I am now 14 HRS away from my CE test at 8.30am in the morning . and Again its at Atherton nr wigan but you know what :laughing: i had a real good drive today 9 am till 11 am and all in rush hr traffic and I feel a lot better . …
Think about it this way mate what if you didnt have a choice of test centre :open_mouth: (would you give up ) NO …ok it would be nice to take the dreaded test out in the country side but would that make you pass any easier (probebly not) …if you dont drive to test standards … :blush: … at the moment you feel like I DID 2/3 days ago as regards the test centre HONESTLY :laughing: and i know exactly how that feels .
Like driver john says you Will nead that traffic expearience one day belive me you will …
Best of luck mate with what ever you decide to do :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Keep at it, theres plenty of people on here who have failed a few times and evenutally passed. You need to get the, “i’d pass up north because its less busy” attitude, because the reality is when you start work you’ll be driving something much bigger than what your learning in, on much narrower roads carrying a ■■■■ load that anything other than ultra smooth driving will cause it to fall off the back.

Good luck, stay positive and with the right training you’ll get there.

Hiyyaaa foresttrucker, sorry to hear about your fail :frowning: . The thing to consider is, just because the pass rates are a bit higher in various other places, that does not nessessarily mean that someone will gain a pass. If things dont go quite as hoped on the day for any variety of reasons, the outcome of the test may not be favourable :neutral_face: . You may gain more expierience where you are , & possably the traffic is heavier where you did your test, in which case that would help you to gain confidence too. If you take into concideration the cost of traveling up north, wether by bus, air,or car etc, & cost of accomadation/food, bering in mind up there it’s possable that your accommadtion may not be near the ‘trainers’, so having to travel more perhaps!, & they may/may not be able to book a retest in the said time limit of your stay. There is a lot to consider & plan, is it worth the hasstle, & how would the overall cost compare between your choices? :confused: , not forgeting theres no garanteed pass!. What ever you choose to do I wish you good luck :wink: :smiley: Oh…& welcome :smiley:

foresttrucker:
Which made me consider taking a 12 day holiday up somewhere in Scotland where the pass rate is nearer to 70% than 40% - is this an insane thing to even think of? I could get in 8 to 10 days training and take a couple of tests. There would be the cost of staying in a B&B/hostel, but other than that the cost overall would the same as training + 2 tests where I am down here in England.

As a qualified DSA driving instructor all I can say is “are you local”. The examiners are usually part time and the farmers boys they are testing know the local area’s like the back of their hands and have been driving “off road” rally cars, tractors and trucks since they could reach the pedals. :laughing:

not forgeting theres no garanteed pass!.

Really? :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

not forgeting theres no garanteed pass!.

Really? :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Best thing the DSA ever did was get rid of publishing the test routes. Nobody could understand them anyway.

On a personal basis I have trained in around 25 test locations and the worst was Weedon (Northampton). Saying that the start was easy but those ■■■■ bus lanes in the town.

Best for my personal pass rate was always Gillingham. Nice start to the test, bit around Chatham then home time.

It really doesn’t matter where you test. Watch the signs (especially speed and weight limits). Make progress where you can and be defensive where neccessary.

3 tricks to a good test:-

1. Know the speed limit wherever you are and stick to it
  2. Know what gear your in
  3. Know whats behind you

The rest will fall into place.
Thats about 90% of the secret

Regards

John
Flair Training

Hey John
I have never seen as many Bus lanes as in Bolton / Atherton / Leigh mate and as for mini roundabouts well i wont even go into that ha spent all last week afternoons training CE and still got caught out by a Bus lane because my test was 8.30 am one bus lane does not even have a sign . (thats all day every day) and the ones that do have a sign its evey 1/2mile so if you miss the first one :blush: and i truely belive if you can pass at Atherton then you can pass anywere …so i know how Forestrucker feels .

Thanks everyone for the replies, food for thought!

LGVTrainer:
On a personal basis I have trained in around 25 test locations and the worst was Weedon (Northampton). Saying that the start was easy but those ■■■■ bus lanes in the town.

You just made me feel really smug by saying that; I passed C+E first time last year at Weedon :smiley: :smiley:

I’d say local knowledge counts for a lot. If I’d done it blind I’d have failed I’m sure Barry at Powerdriver was really good at pointing out how the road layouts could catch you out.

To the OP, I’d say re-test where you are mate. You know a bit more of the route, what’s expected of you and it’ll be a lot cheaper. Good luck!