How close would you say i am to being employed

Hi everyone. All I’ve got to do now is pass module 4…haven’t a clue really about chains n straps etc. Obviously I’ll give it a go but its my last hurdle before being let loose in these beasts, and just need some reassurance that its nothing to worry about. Thanx :unamused:

RPL in Milton Keynes will probably give you a shot, they won’t pay you much but at least it’s a start.

I was same, never seen a curtain side before my first job but ask and someone will show you. They might throw a few tuts about but ignore that and listen.

Since then I’ve youtubed galore and might not physically have done but it’s means I’m not totally oblivious to how to do something. Tell a little fib - ’ well I’ve seen it done so have an idea but if someone could just show quickly?’ usually gets results.

Once shown or see you’ll pick it up very quick. Wouldn’t worry too much about it, Just ask!

Not everyone bites and if you think about it it’s in the company’s interest to show you as its their goods your looking after.

djp:
Hi everyone. All I’ve got to do now is pass module 4…haven’t a clue really about chains n straps etc. Obviously I’ll give it a go but its my last hurdle before being let loose in these beasts, and just need some reassurance that its nothing to worry about. Thanx :unamused:

If your referring to the mod 4 test it’s a piece of p***

YouTube lgv mod 4 cpc there’s a lengthy video explaining everything. As for the chains and straps there is another video which is a good guide, but don’t worry about the dolly knot, I got told you need a hook to finish it off, but health and safety says the test centres aren’t allowed a hook on there rig.

When I did my module 4 they didn’t even get the rig out to test restraining methods but maybe I was just lucky

I grandfathered my way around the module 4 requirements by default. My driver training filled 28 of my 35 hours CPC, so the only other training I’ve had is a 7 hour course on driver hours. I know little about load security or weights etc, and I am very aware of these gaps in my knowledge, but it isn’t stopping me from finding agency driving work. Fridges and boxes with pallet work are okay, although I had a curtainsider once and had to ask how it worked, what the strapping rules were and how I’m supposed to deal with a situation where the trailer has been loaded already and not strapped etc. One of the other drivers (also agency) was happy enough to show me the ropes…err…straps, and some YouTube videos have shown me some of the other principles in theory at least.

If I’m in a situation where securing the load becomes important I’ll have to ask. I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I figure if someone is happy to be asking and paying me to take their wagon out on a job then they should be happy enough to show me how it works if necessary. There are more drivers who claim to know everything about everything than those who actually do. For the rest of us it is all about learning as we go along, and learning is often best achieved by being taught by others more experienced than ourselves.