How can you forget

…to stow a hiab?!

vertikal.net/en/stories.php?id=4069

Vertikal.net:
Motorists in Poole faced traffic chaos yesterday after a loader crane was ripped off of its truck after it hit a footbridge on Dorset Way. The vehicle is owned and operated by Southern Brick and Tile Co of Abingdon.

The crane’s boom, which had not been stowed properly, smashed into the underside of the footbridge leaving the crane, its sub-frame and a load of debris scattered across the dual carriageway.

The main part of the crane left in the road

The falling crane gouged large grooves into the road surface and caused significant damage to the underside of the bridge.

The eastbound carriageway of the Dorset Way was closed for two hours, causing traffic tailbacks while highway workers cleared hydraulic fluid off the road.

The driver of the truck pulled over around 200 metres on from the footbridge.

A spokesman for the company said: "The driver had just collected some materials and unfortunately he had forgotten to put the crane down, so it was a simple case of driver error I’m afraid”.

“The crane is used to lift things on and off the lorry. We have lost the entire crane and the accident caused considerable damage to the lorry.”

Note. Copyright of news item and image Vertikal.net :wink:

bit like the car transporter driver who instead of going under the centre of the arched bridge [ road marked out to do this] on harlaxton road as you come out of the centre of grantham. he stayed tight to the left and ripped off what looked like a ram and had a deck full of cars hanging off on the nearside.in these cases it would be intresting to know what the driver was thinking :question: maybe a momentary lapse of concentration :confused:

Yes, driver error but let he who is without sin etc.

Harry Monk:
Yes, driver error but let he who is without sin etc.

Yep, i’ve drive down the road with my tail lift lead still plugged in, tail lift still out !! :blush: Ladder still up on my tanker etc…you name it !!!

Mike-C:
Yep, i’ve drive down the road with my tail lift lead still plugged in, tail lift still out !! :blush: Ladder still up on my tanker etc…you name it !!!

We DO read your diaries Mike :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I had one the other day, under a low bridge (about 13’ IIRC) and turn left into an Ind Est. to collect a 5t digger. Now I’m 11’6" empty and the bridge was of no concern. However the digger stands above the cab and the bridge had escaped from my thought as I was within the warning markings other than those on the bridge itself. It was only after I’d come through that I realised what I’d just done and got away with.

It only takes a little slip of memory for it all to go wrong.

Mind you it’d probably be the best way of remembering in the future. :laughing:

Does that mean there is a HIAB job going :smiling_imp:

Sockpuppet:

It used to be a HIAB job, now it’s a handball job. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

Sockpuppet:

It used to be a HIAB job, now it’s a handball job. :wink:

Nice one Coffee

Mind you I remember loading the van one dark morning and leaving the back doors open when I left the customer :slight_smile: Soon heard about that one…

Calv

When i worked on the roads erecting crash barriers, we had the contract for the widening of the M25. The Scottish bloke who drove the hi-ab did the same, he’d dropped off some barriers and while driving down too the next gang of erectors hit the bridge. I went too see him straight away because i didn’t like the fella much so went too laugh at the stupid git. It was a balfour beatty site so the healthy an safety was strict and came too the bridge in minutes. He was always on the booze and came to work stinking of the stuff every single day. He was taken too the H+S office where they gave him a breath test and he failed so he was immediately reported too the police banned from working on any Balfour sites in the future, and then sacked from our company :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Many years ago there used to be a foot bridge on the island of Guernsey. It was well known, a bit of a folly really. Some eccentric years ago had it built so he didn’t have to walk across the road to get to his property. Nice looking thing two granite towers and a bridge inbetween. Then this lowloader came along with a digger on the back and the bridge was no more. He never lived it down, it was the only bridge on the isalnd :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

knight:
Many years ago there used to be a foot bridge on the island of Guernsey. It was well known, a bit of a folly really. Some eccentric years ago had it built so he didn’t have to walk across the road to get to his property. Nice looking thing two granite towers and a bridge inbetween. Then this lowloader came along with a digger on the back and the bridge was no more. He never lived it down, it was the only bridge on the isalnd :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bloomin heck thats got to be a record I think :laughing: