How about working after Retirement Age?

Harry Monk:

Santa:
Also, note that NI is not payable after pension age which gives you an automatic 10% (or so) pay rise.

ISTR that this has changed now or is going to change, possibly for those retiring after a certain date?

The change was that all working people above retirement age had to pay the 1.25% levy. But that will be stopped on 6 November '22.

lolipop:
It just goes to show,that many have been relying on the state pension to live on in retirement.Never gave it a thought to take out a private pension or be in a works pension as retirement was YEARS away. Now its to late and have to think about working after retirement age.
Maybe I was fortunate in my earlier years 30/40ish to have jobs that had company pensions,transferring pensions from one to another as I moved on,which abled me to hang up my keys at 65 never to get behind a wheel again.
My mistake was not starting a scheme early in life,like my Daughter did at 19 she now at 50 has a substantial pension pot.

99% of private pensions are worthless stock market linked - total waste of time - I think mine loses 2-3 grand every year with the stock market flatlining. 50’ years ago it was a good idea - not anymore. You need that money for food and heat/petrol.

I am a kid still at 36 but I could quite easily see myself working maybe 1 or 2 days a week to top up the pension. Maybe a little bit of weekend work when the roads are empty. With an average of say 150 quid a day that will give you 15 grand a year plus the 10 grand a year pension. More than enough to live off quite comfortably.

I am putting away for a pension but surely boredom will come into it a little. Even working 2 days a week that still gives you 265 days a year off and your body will more than likely thank you for it. Especially if you do some self tipping or strapping.

AdamST205:
I am a kid still at 36 but I could quite easily see myself working maybe 1 or 2 days a week to top up the pension. Maybe a little bit of weekend work when the roads are empty. With an average of say 150 quid a day that will give you 15 grand a year plus the 10 grand a year pension. More than enough to live off quite comfortably.

I am putting away for a pension but surely boredom will come into it a little. Even working 2 days a week that still gives you 265 days a year off and your body will more than likely thank you for it. Especially if you do some self tipping or strapping.

Be prepared to change your view in the next 30 years. You dont see many older guys in sport. You would think that they have plenty of time to train etc. If you did a bit of loading/self tip and or strapping you would need a day or three to recover from your efforts.

alamcculloch:

AdamST205:

Be prepared to change your view in the next 30 years. You dont see many older guys in sport. You would think that they have plenty of time to train etc. If you did a bit of loading/self tip and or strapping you would need a day or three to recover from your efforts.

My grandad worked till he was 78 albeit part time. 22 years in the army. Then the rest in computers (back when they filled rooms). He only retired at 78 because the Soviet Union fell and he got made redundant. (They refurbished computers for Russian use as there was some embargo on new equipment). He lived till 93 and used to walk 6 miles to the pub and back in the next village for a pint. He didn’t need the money as he had a company, army and state pension. He just always wanted to stay active.

Spending a couple of days driving with a little bit of electric truck use isn’t going to kill no one.

AdamST205:

alamcculloch:

AdamST205:

My grandad worked till he was 78 albeit part time. 22 years in the army. Then the rest in computers (back when they filled rooms). He only retired at 78 because the Soviet Union fell and he got made redundant. (They refurbished computers for Russian use as there was some embargo on new equipment). He lived till 93 and used to walk 6 miles to the pub and back in the next village for a pint. He didn’t need the money as he had a company, army and state pension. He just always wanted to stay active.

Spending a couple of days driving with a little bit of electric truck use isn’t going to kill no one.

AdamST205:

alamcculloch:

AdamST205:

I am coming up for 70. years young. Drive a school mini bus for a couple of hours on school days. It loads and unloads itself. I would like to do a wee bit ad hoc on tippers again , they almost load and unload themselves.