How about this!

Some one i know works for the council on refuse lorries. So no tacho, digi card required. But council say they have to have one. He has never used it. Came up for renewal a while ago and was told by his manager to renew it now as still only £19. He said it would be going up to £85 soon!!!. Is this the truth or just scare tactics or lack of knoweledge?.

Don’t understand what you mean is coming up for renewal! Refuse vehicles are excempt tachographs similar to Emergency Service and Military vehicles as well as other categories, this is from the Tachograph Declaration Form on excempt vehicles, as you see statements 13 and 14 cover Council refuse vehicles.

Vehicle used by public authorities to provide public services which are not in competition with professional road hauliers.
Vehicle used in connection with the (mains) sewerage, flood protection, water, gas and electricity services, road maintenance and control, door to door refuse collection and disposal, telegraph and telephone services, radio and television broadcasting and the detection of radio or television transmitters or receivers

I think you’ll find a lot of councils operate under the tacho now, mate of mine was just saying he’s taking redundancy the end of this month from Gateshead council after 20 years service as they are now operating under tacho regs and also wanting them to do CPC courses.

i was exempt from using a tacho when I drove for the show company but they insisted we used them and stuck to the regulations, even so if stopped by the plod they could not actually do anything to prosecute us.
They never had Digicards when I lived there.

If your doing Trade rounds ie pubs ect even if you a council man or not you need a Tacho. On wheely bin work you dont but some use them anyway.

Peter

tortoise:
Some one i know works for the council on refuse lorries. So no tacho, digi card required. But council say they have to have one. He has never used it. Came up for renewal a while ago and was told by his manager to renew it now as still only £19. He said it would be going up to £85 soon!!!. Is this the truth or just scare tactics or lack of knoweledge?.

I haven’t heard anything about it going up from £19, but even if it did I really can’t imagine it going up that much so I’d say his manager is talking rubbish.

The council may want the drivers to be universal so they can drive any motor in the fleet. I cant see any other reason for keeping the tacho card up to date.

When i was on agency i used to do the recycling sometimes. Which i was told is exempt from tacho, but they always insisted that you put your card in anyway.

tortoise:
When i was on agency i used to do the recycling sometimes. Which i was told is exempt from tacho, but they always insisted that you put your card in anyway.

Depends what you mean by “the recycling”, if you mean the door to door collection of recyclable materials then I’d say it is tacho exempt.

I can understand what’s being said but the truth is if the vehicle is excempt as in the list it doesn’t need a Tacho and the regulations haven’t changed, again its someone taking things on their own back and forcing rules that are not required. I work for the Fire Service and our vehicles don’t require rear marker boards yet you will see them on every vehicle because someone thought they should be fitted as they didn’t know the regulations. We seem to have a thing in this country about reading rules, laws and regulations and then disregarding them or taking them to the extreme and adding our own version instead of just doing what is written down.

Frankydobo:
We seem to have a thing in this country about reading rules, laws and regulations and then disregarding them or taking them to the extreme and adding our own version instead of just doing what is written down.

Never a truer word said.

Peter Wells:
If your doing Trade rounds ie pubs ect even if you a council man or not you need a Tacho. On wheely bin work you dont but some use them anyway.

Peter

Over the past 4 yrs, I reckon I’ve done about 3 accumulated months worth of ash carts. Did 3 days on them last week in fact. Every single vehicle I’ve driven has had analogue tacho (the newest one was on 04 plate I think). Commercial, domestic kerbside, recycling facilities with HIAB, that stupid little green box ■■■■ where you’re sat in the driving seat climbing the ■■■■■■■ walls doing 19km in 9 hrs, the lot.

Maybe it’s the way they do things round here but not once have I used a log book or the digi card. Digi’s always been in the back pocket though.

I do some agency on the bins, never used the tacho just filled in the councils log sheet.

nickb67:

Peter Wells:

Peter

Over the past 4 yrs, I reckon I’ve done about 3 accumulated months worth of ash carts. Did 3 days on them last week in fact. Every single vehicle I’ve driven has had analogue tacho (the newest one was on 04 plate I think). Commercial, domestic kerbside, recycling facilities with HIAB, that stupid little green box [zb] where you’re sat in the driving seat climbing the [zb] walls doing 19km in 9 hrs, the lot.

Maybe it’s the way they do things round here but not once have I used a log book or the digi card. Digi’s always been in the back pocket though.

Presumably you’ve used the tachograph on most of that work ?

Saaamon:

Frankydobo:
We seem to have a thing in this country about reading rules, laws and regulations and then disregarding them or taking them to the extreme and adding our own version instead of just doing what is written down.

Never a truer word said.

They are doing it as its written down. If they do trade work, they charge individuals for that work, therefore its no longer a public service, its ‘hire & reward’ work, which includes standard O licensing & EU rules 561/2006 apply.

Was talking about this with a mate who does a lot of installation work on bin lorries.He can’t ever remember seeing a Dennis Eagle with a tacho fitted.There must be some about,surely?

tachograph:

nickb67:
…Every single vehicle I’ve driven has had analogue tacho (the newest one was on 04 plate I think)…

…Maybe it’s the way they do things round here …

Presumably you’ve used the tachograph on most of that work ?

On bins, all of it on charts.

Sir +:
Was talking about this with a mate who does a lot of installation work on bin lorries.He can’t ever remember seeing a Dennis Eagle with a tacho fitted.There must be some about,surely?

Yep, have driven Dennis eagle and Mercedes fitted with digital tacho.

Frankydobo:
I can understand what’s being said but the truth is if the vehicle is excempt as in the list it doesn’t need a Tacho…

It’s usually the type of work that is exempt and not the vehicle. Same refuse vehicle could do door to door domestic collections one day and collect from commercial properties the next, driver would need to use the tacho one day but not the other, although the company/council could require it both.