Hovis losing jobs

Just caught a bit on the news about Hovis shutting down 2 distribution depots due to losing a big contract with the coop amongst other things so anybody know which ones ? There’s one just down the road from me Avonmouth I hope it’s not that one.

Greenford and Garretts Green bakeries and the Plymouth DC

"The owner of Hovis is to cut 900 jobs and close two bakeries as part of plans to overhaul its struggling bread business.
The biggest impact will be felt in Birmingham, where 511 jobs are to be lost with the closure of a factory and a distribution operation, scheduled to take place next year.

Hovis operations at Greenford, west London, will also shut with the loss of 196 jobs, and Premier Foods is preparing to close distribution sites at Plymouth and Mendlesham, Suffolk, resulting in the loss of 95 jobs in total."

Don’t worry you’re safe, but it looks like a few of my runs may be ■■■■■■ up.

schrodingers cat:
"The owner of Hovis is to cut 900 jobs and close two bakeries as part of plans to overhaul its struggling bread business.
The biggest impact will be felt in Birmingham, where 511 jobs are to be lost with the closure of a factory and a distribution operation, scheduled to take place next year.

Hovis operations at Greenford, west London, will also shut with the loss of 196 jobs, and Premier Foods is preparing to close distribution sites at Plymouth and Mendlesham, Suffolk, resulting in the loss of 95 jobs in total."

Don’t worry you’re safe, but it looks like a few of my runs may be [zb] up.

I don’t work there but as its local I do know several workers there.

Crumbs, that’s bad news. Very bad if it’s your bread and butter work, I guess a large slice of the work will go abroad. They used to employ some nice crumpet at those plants, one had the biggest baps you’ve ever seen. I expect the management expect the workers to just roll over and take these closures. Worst time of year to hear this news when you’re trying to earn a crust in time for christmas.
Personally, I think these proposals are half baked.

Has premier foods sorted out their disaster of a pension fund? Could see this company go to the wall and its a giant!

So i take it by losing a contract they mean they will no longer make coops own label bread?

No doubt there will be high fives and loads of champers in a boardroom somewhere, as a rival looks forward to the possibility of taxpayers (our) money in the form of a grant for the expansion necessary for the increased business. There will be a message from the minister to the chairman congratulating him on his company’s growth which will look good for the government.

Meanwhile x hundred directly employed will be out of work, several hundred more in suppliers and probably several small companies that depended on the closing bakeries, will go to the wall.

Shortly there will be an announcement about new jobs created (for immigrants) at the ‘winning’ sites.

All in the name of progress and growth. Actually all in the name of greed.

A repeat of Pondchase Mushrooms and Romney Marsh Potatoes. Both shafted by a supermarket.

Hovis products were always too expensive, if they had realised that, they would be still in the game as before.
Boardroom failure once again. :unamused:

Muckaway:
Crumbs, that’s bad news. Very bad if it’s your bread and butter work, I guess a large slice of the work will go abroad. They used to employ some nice crumpet at those plants, one had the biggest baps you’ve ever seen. I expect the management expect the workers to just roll over and take these closures. Worst time of year to hear this news when you’re trying to earn a crust in time for christmas.

Normally I would smile at the humour within your post but in this instance I think it’s in extraordinarily bad taste - perhaps you ought to engage the brain before you start battering the keyboard…

On this thread, you’re making light of people losing their jobs and possibly the knock-on effects for some members of this very forum - then in your own thread you’re whinging because YOUR employers won’t let you do what YOU want! :unamused: :imp:

It can’t just be me, surely…? :confused: :confused:

I deliver bagged flour on a regular basis to the birmingham (garatts green) bakery, and to the Avonmouth bakery so that means at least 1 less drop for me, and potentially less work so ~I don`t find jokes about it funny :cry: Nor do I think the few dozen guys/gals at birmingham who drive the bread trucks will be happy either

peirre:
I deliver bagged flour on a regular basis to the birmingham (garatts green) bakery, and to the Avonmouth bakery so that means at least 1 less drop for me, and potentially less work so ~I don`t find jokes about it funny :cry: Nor do I think the few dozen guys/gals at birmingham who drive the bread trucks will be happy either

im sure i delivered to garatts green when i worked for rank hovis in southampton docks

Piston broke:

Muckaway:

Normally I would smile at the humour within your post but in this instance I think it’s in extraordinarily bad taste - perhaps you ought to engage the brain before you start battering the keyboard…

On this thread, you’re making light of people losing their jobs and possibly the knock-on effects for some members of this very forum - then in your own thread you’re whinging because YOUR employers won’t let you do what YOU want! :unamused: :imp:

I think making fun of someone else’s misfortune is very immature and not what we should be advocating on this forum.

Piston broke:

Muckaway:

I agree think of all the Dough those drivers are going to lose :blush:

waddy640:

Piston broke:

Muckaway:

I think making fun of someone else’s misfortune is very immature and not what we should be advocating on this forum.

I think some people need to chill the [zb] out.

I hope this helps.

No one has stopped to consider the company’s addiction to cheap labour changes the demographic make up of this country to such an extent, that in the years to come, the government will no longer be able to rely on the English reluctance for Revolution. Many of those now working in this country on the cheap are from places they’ve already risen up against, even if in a bloodless manner. Bloodless revolutions came about because some kind of “Union” of people was recognised, leading to the former regime stepping down fairly quickly. Solidarity, The Velvet Revolution, and the like.

The recent US elections have shown that future politicians ignore this new western demographic makeup at their peril!

Does anyone on here for example think that the Tory party in this country are anything but toast in 2015? - Even if you, personally, voted for them last time around as well?

Well, I still won’t be voting for Milliband - since he’s re-iterated only this week that “Nope, we’re not going to leave Europe, nor give the public a referendum.”.

FFS this is NOT the time to copy the incumbents already moving towards oblivion!

The two main parties rely on our electoral system that keeps minority parties out of reach of westminster. Public apathy can then be relied upon to do the rest. “Not voting” is effectively voting for the current party to stay put.

Sooner or later some bright spark is going to come up with the idea of scrapping subsidies for the low paid or raising interest rates or both.
So many employers won’t be ready to then double pay overnight, that when a week’s food shopping costs more than double a full time job @ minimum wage, we’ll perhaps finally see a serious movement to overturn our “business baron serfdom” that we now live in.

che.jpg

JLS Driver SOS:
I agree think of all the Dough those drivers are going to lose :blush:

“You too are a bad man…”
…Said Mr Kipling.
It’s the wholemeal changes in the way we shop; I buy Lidl bread when possible and avoid the high price of something that to me, tastes no different. I am the main bread winner in the house after all.

There all ■■■■■■■ in the same pot…and wont be worried about xmas… :open_mouth:

Muckaway:
I guess a large slice of the work will go abroad.

Nope the firm I work for has won the Co-Op contract. Hovis has been in financial turmoil for a number of years, this is just another failing which has forced them into these closures.

Sad news though for our brother workers in this industry.

Muckaway:

Ha ha… You take the biscuit.

shytalk:
There all ■■■■■■■ in the same pot…and wont be worried about xmas… :open_mouth:

That explains the funny taste in their loaves then.