Hoveringham gravel

windrush:

robroy:
Only thing I know about ‘Hoveringham’ is that I had a Matcbox series toy of a ‘Mickey Mouse’ Foden high sided tipper, in orange in the 60s.
I did not even know they were a real co. :blush: :smiley:

Oh dear, so young and so innocent! :laughing: They were a good company to work for judging by ex employers and OD’s that I knew and worked with but, as so often happens, a merger occoured with a large combine and things were never the same again. As Dennis said Needlers the chocolate company owned them at one time.

There are a few of those Foden’s up in my loft, both King Size and the smaller versions.

Pete.

Hi Pete, I have a few myself, I will have to hunt them out, Photograph them & post them on here, I have Fodens, Scammells, Bedfords , Dodges, Ive had them for years, My good Lady thinks Im crazey for hoarding old stuff, Regards Larry.

recent model.

there’s a restored Hoveringham Foden out there…not seen it for a couple of years though :frowning: it looked the dog’s wotsits when i spotted it one day on the A46 :slight_smile:

carryfast-yeti:
there’s a restored Hoveringham Foden out there…not seen it for a couple of years though :frowning: it looked the dog’s wotsits when i spotted it one day on the A46 :slight_smile:

Found on Flickr

flickr.com/photos/dawnandmitch/14459102737

Here is another that does the show circuits although I havent seen it for a while.

Hoveringham Albion Clydesdale.jpg

Only ever went to the ‘HQ’ quarry a couple of times, but did a number of years on the stone out of Dene. We also did a fair bit of dry-screened sand from their little tiny sand hole at Mugginton - I’ll bet Pete knows where that is/was!

Steve

hi spud she’s still about doing the shows.it belongs to pearsons transport from Coventry.

IIRC, They had a Plant at Haltwhistle , In the 70s, Im not to sure but the gravel may have been out of the River Tyne, Regards Larry.

thank’s for the info mate.

Ste46:
Only ever went to the ‘HQ’ quarry a couple of times, but did a number of years on the stone out of Dene. We also did a fair bit of dry-screened sand from their little tiny sand hole at Mugginton - I’ll bet Pete knows where that is/was!

Steve

It was just down the road from Richard Lees near that right hand bend, I remember the gate with HOVERINGHAM on it but I don’t remember it being worked. I only ever back loaded from Hoveringham quarry in Tarmacs time, usually to Ilkeston, Kirkby or Pye Bridge concrete plants, as the rates were not good but were OK if going just one way! :wink: I did go into their old Bradwell quarry once but that was when Ferndale’s ran it, and of course I did plenty out of Dene when I worked for Eric and Frank Gough but again that was after Hoveringham had been taken over by those shysters from Wolverhampton! :imp: :laughing:

Pete.

I can really turn the clock back a bit . First driving job for a local builder i fetched all their sand from what was then mugginton sand and gravel . That was about 1962 . dave

Got my order in already… couple of my models

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

regards Colin

We sold them a D-series or Cargo 6 wheeler but I expect it was the only one they had

Tony

rastone:
We sold them a D-series or Cargo 6 wheeler but I expect it was the only one they had

Tony

Got to be this one then Tony?

so good Base Toys made a model…

regards Colin

nilocekyd:

rastone:

Tony

Got to be this one then Tony?

so good Base Toys made a model…

regards Colin

That’s the one

heres a photo of the tyre van

I would be interested in a hoveringham gravel book if these are published

EPHallows:
I would be interested in a hoveringham gravel book if these are published

paul ?

just to keep you informed,the proofs have gone to the printers and I will let you know as soon as it is ready.

My Uncle David used to drive for Hoveringham but not sure if it was on the concrete mixers or tippers but could have both.
Not sure if anyone in here would of known him but it was some years ago (sorry can’t give an approx year). Would be nice to see some history though.