Hours question

Here is the scenario

Daily checks done at the yard and noticed tyre on unit looked soft but thought might have been due to unit sitting in a bit of a pot hole

Decided to go and hook up to loaded trailer and check tyre again
On moving unit noticed a bolt in the tread so definite puncture

Had used 2 minutes driving time. Switched to POA after calling service van
During 2.5 hour wait I put in break for 30 minutes

After 4hr 20 of driving stopped for a break and contemplated only taking a 30 but decided on a 45 just in case 2 minute driving at start of shift was deemed as fiddling the system

What’s everybody else’s take in this

Cheers

As long as 1 minute of driving is logged you can take a 15 - do the orher 4:29 take your remaining 30 then do another 4:30. Not fiddling the system.

m1cks:
As long as 1 minute of driving is logged you can take a 15 - do the orher 4:29 take your remaining 30 then do another 4:30. Not fiddling the system.

+1

do it most days

finlays-dad:
Here is the scenario

Daily checks done at the yard and noticed tyre on unit looked soft but thought might have been due to unit sitting in a bit of a pot hole

After 4hr 20 of driving stopped for a break and contemplated only taking a 30 but decided on a 45 just in case 2 minute driving at start of shift was deemed as fiddling the system

Cheers

As has been said there’s nothing wrong or illegal with having a break after 2 minutes driving.

tachograph:

finlays-dad:
Here is the scenario

Cheers

As has been said there’s nothing wrong or illegal with having a break after 2 minutes driving.

I understand it’s all legal, but I often wondered how it would go down if you were to be pulled if it was a regular thing??
Driving most days for up to 9 hours (ok 8:59) with just a 30 minute break ■■
Do you think they would look closer at everything else or just think" this is a canny lad, hes getting home 15 minutes earlier for the sake of having a 45 mid shift"

Plenty of people in offices and factories do 9 hours with only a 30 minute break

Darb:

tachograph:

I understand it’s all legal, but I often wondered how it would go down if you were to be pulled if it was a regular thing??
Do you think they would look closer at everything else or just think" this is a canny lad, hes getting home 15 minutes earlier for the sake of having a 45 mid shift"

I’ve rarely been stopped by DVSA and haven’t had my records checked in recent years so have no personal knowledge of this, but I can’t see why they would query something that’s perfectly legal.

I don’t think a DVSA bod would even think twice about someone having a break after two minutes of driving, I would hope their attention would be on more serious things like people running dangerous vehicles or running bent :wink:

I’ll go in to work load up the tacho with manual entries from the finish time then start time, do my walk round checks, nip round to the wash and wash the windscreen etc off then park opposite the bay and have a 15 or 30 as the load aint ready… most nights I can do that but I still have an hour later on :wink:

Darb:

tachograph:

finlays-dad:
Here is the scenario

Cheers

stops us driving 8:59 hrs on a 15 min break darb :grimacing: