Hours question

I’ll try to explain this as best I can and hope someone can tell me if what I’m doing is OK

Friday 15th November - finished work at 17.20 and was asked to run out on Sunday afternoon. Took 46h 30m off (regular weekly rest) and ran out on Sunday 17th at 15.50, doing 4h 45m total driving and duty time.
Now, I use the TruckerTimer app to keep an eye on my hours, and when I started work on the Sunday afternoon it counted these hours as part of the previous week (week commencing Monday 11th November) - was it right to do this, as they fell within that “fixed week” or do those hours count towards w/c November 18th because I’ve had my weekly rest and started a new “working week”?

Worked my normal hours on Monday 18th and Tuesday 19th, finishing work at 15.25 on Tuesday, then I’ve had two days holiday on Wednesday 20th and Thursday 21st. I’m back in to work tomorrow, Friday 22nd, and I’m not starting til midday and am likely to be working til midnight or 1am as I’m loading in Bradford to go to Uckfield to tip on Saturday morning. After I tip in Uckfield, it’s straight back to the yard and finish.

My questions are -As I’m running in on Saturday and aren’t likely to get back to the yard til about 2pm, assuming I start work at a normal time on Monday (say 6am) I presume this will result in me having a reduced weekly rest? Does the fact I’ve had a couple of days holiday make any difference to my weekly rest patterns? By the time I start work tomorrow I will have had about 68 hours off work in the middle of the week.

I’ve never had to run out on a Sunday afternoon and run back in a Saturday before, and I’m sure it’s all perfectly legal and suchlike but I just want to be clear in my own mind about which week those Sunday hours are counted in, and if this week will be a reduced rest which I’ll have to compensate for in the weeks ahead.

Hope this makes sense!
Thanks

kevchalluk:
Friday 15th November - finished work at 17.20 and was asked to run out on Sunday afternoon. Took 46h 30m off (regular weekly rest) and ran out on Sunday 17th at 15.50, doing 4h 45m total driving and duty time.
Now, I use the TruckerTimer app to keep an eye on my hours, and when I started work on the Sunday afternoon it counted these hours as part of the previous week (week commencing Monday 11th November) - was it right to do this, as they fell within that “fixed week” or do those hours count towards w/c November 18th because I’ve had my weekly rest and started a new “working week”?

The driving and other work you did on the Sunday 17/11/13 was part of the fixed week commencing 11/11/13, so yes it was right.

kevchalluk:
Worked my normal hours on Monday 18th and Tuesday 19th, finishing work at 15.25 on Tuesday, then I’ve had two days holiday on Wednesday 20th and Thursday 21st. I’m back in to work tomorrow, Friday 22nd, and I’m not starting til midday and am likely to be working til midnight or 1am as I’m loading in Bradford to go to Uckfield to tip on Saturday morning. After I tip in Uckfield, it’s straight back to the yard and finish.

My questions are -As I’m running in on Saturday and aren’t likely to get back to the yard til about 2pm, assuming I start work at a normal time on Monday (say 6am) I presume this will result in me having a reduced weekly rest? Does the fact I’ve had a couple of days holiday make any difference to my weekly rest patterns? By the time I start work tomorrow I will have had about 68 hours off work in the middle of the week.

The two days holiday count as a weekly rest period for this week.
Any time off of 45 hours or more count as a weekly rest period regardless of whether it’s holiday or just days off.

kevchalluk:
I’ve never had to run out on a Sunday afternoon and run back in a Saturday before, and I’m sure it’s all perfectly legal and suchlike but I just want to be clear in my own mind about which week those Sunday hours are counted in, and if this week will be a reduced rest which I’ll have to compensate for in the weeks ahead.

The time between about 14:00 Saturday and 06:00 Monday will count as a reduced weekly rest period but will not require compensating for as you’ve also had a regular weekly rest period this week (Wednesday/Thursday).

If you have another reduced weekly rest period the weekend of Saturday 30/11/13 - Monday 2/12/13 you may wish to decide which one to compensate for, if you have a regular weekly rest period that week you won’t need to compensate for this weekend, you can cross that bridge when you get to it and know what you’re doing that weekend.

The important thing is that you’ve had a regular 45 hour weekly rest period for last week and this week (Wednesday/Thursday), so far everything you want to do is legal :wink:

kevchalluk:
Hope this makes sense!

Me to :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

OK that’s great, thanks a lot. I thought that Wed/Thu may count as weekly rest but wasn’t sure where I stood with the time off between Saturday and Monday. I may well get back to you next week when I know what I’m doing and you can explain the other bit to me then :laughing:

kevchalluk:
OK that’s great, thanks a lot. I thought that Wed/Thu may count as weekly rest but wasn’t sure where I stood with the time off between Saturday and Monday. I may well get back to you next week when I know what I’m doing and you can explain the other bit to me then :laughing:

The time off this Saturday/Monday is a reduced weekly rest period, but as you’ve already had a regular weekly rest period for this fixed week (Monday to Sunday) the reduced one is used solely to allow you to start a new set of six 24 hour periods.

So this reduction doesn’t have to be compensated for unless I have less than 45 off next weekend?

I don’t quite get what you mean when you say I may wish to decide which one to compensate for

Lets say you had another reduced weekly rest period the weekend 30/11/13 to 2/12/13, you could then decide which one to use for the coming week (25/11/13 to 1/12/13) and compensate for just that one.

If one reduced weekly rest period was 36 hours and the other was 24 hours you may wish to compensate for the longest to keep the compensation down, but more likely you would want to compensate for the last one.

OK I think I get it. I’ll see what next weekend brings and may get back to you to double check! :smiley:

Just remember your 2 days holiday counts as 8x2 =16hrs for the wtd … stupid I know but hey ho

nick2008:
Just remember your 2 days holiday counts as 8x2 =16hrs for the wtd … stupid I know but hey ho

That depends how much holiday had already been taken this year.

Gonna put this another way but is saying the same thing as tachograph

A fixed week is sunday midnight to sunday midnight

A weekly rest that includes sunday midnight can be used for the fixed week ending or the fixed week beginning because it is at least 1 minute in each fixed week

Finishing sat 23rd 2pm and restarting mon 25th 6am will give you 40 hours reduced weekly rest for the fixed week 25/11 to 1/12 as it includes the sunday midnight - leaves 5 hours to pay back

The two previous fixed weeks have been regular weekly rest weeks

The weekend of the 30/11 and 1/12 can also be a reduced weekly rest and if it is then it is likely to be at least 29 hours so can be a 24 + 5 payback - the 24 does not need compensating for as the 40 hours reduced weekly rest has been used as the weekly rest for the same fixed week

A regular weekly rest would need to start no later than 2359 hours on sunday 8/12 for the fixed week 2/12 to 8/12

==================================================

If a regular weekly rest was to be taken on the weekend of the 30/11 and 1/12 (including sunday midnight) then that can be used as a regular weekly rest for the fixed week 2/12 to 8/12
That effectively puts the weekly rests at the start of each fixed week so leaves the driver with the option of taking two reduced weekly rests in a row at a later date with one not being used as the weekly rest for any fixed week so not needing compensation

As Xmas day and boxing day are on a weds + thurs this year this info may be useful to others as they may find themselves in a similar situation