Hours question

Hi, just a quick one that I’m unsure on if any of you can help.

Monday 14hrs worked
Tuesday 8hrs workday but took a reduced rest
Weds 14hrs worked
Thurs 11hrs worked

Am I able to work 15hrs today
Tommorw will be weekly rest.

Office say I can but to be honest I’m unsure.

Thanks

Edited

Yep you can! Tuesday is automatically a reduced rest because you worked 14 hours Monday

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sorry maybe that doesn’t read right.

I’ve had 3 reduced rests already for the week
But Tuesday was only around 8 hours work if I remember rightly

I’m 90% sure I can’t do 15 hours today but the office are saying that I can.

You can do a split rest.

You need to take a break of at least 3 hours during the day. Then you can take a legal 9 hour overnight rest.

Ok thanks for that, that might actually help me out.

BradCarTransporter:
Sorry maybe that doesn’t read right.

I’ve had 3 reduced rests already for the week
But Tuesday was only around 8 hours work if I remember rightly

I’m 90% sure I can’t do 15 hours today but the office are saying that I can.

Office = wrong
You = right

Thanks rog

Simple way is from start of day one count 24 hr blocks then count

BradCarTransporter:
Monday 14hrs worked
Tuesday 8hrs workday but took a reduced rest
Weds 14hrs worked
Thurs 11hrs worked

Am I able to work 15hrs today
Tommorw will be weekly rest.

As has been said you’ve had 3 reduced daily rest periods and that’s all you’re allowed until after your next weekly rest period.

If you can get a 3 hour rest period in during the shift you can have a split daily rest period and so do a 15 hour spread-over.

Thanks for that, they were telling me I can work 15 hours as tonight don’t count for daily rest. I’m glad I checked as they made me doubt myself tbh.

Even on the last shift of a working week you need to have a daily rest period completed within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift.

On the last day of the working week the period immediately after the end of the shift is both a daily rest period and part of a weekly rest period.

Time and time again the office staff giving drivers incorrect drivers hours info. Untimely it’s the drivers responsibility, or that’s how dvsa would see it, when your new ish and the office tell you something different to what you think it makes you question yourself though, and can put you in a tricky situation. Do I go with what I think? Or could I be wrong, and does this planner who speaks with more experienced drivers all the time actually know better than me? Planners should definitely have to do drivers hours cpc to be able to sit there and plan a drivers day.

Rowley010:
Time and time again the office staff giving drivers incorrect drivers hours info. Untimely it’s the drivers responsibility, or that’s how dvsa would see it, when your new ish and the office tell you something different to what you think it makes you question yourself though, and can put you in a tricky situation. Do I go with what I think? Or could I be wrong, and does this planner who speaks with more experienced drivers all the time actually know better than me? Planners should definitely have to do drivers hours cpc to be able to sit there and plan a drivers day.

I strongly disagree with that - it’s the drivers responsibility to know the regs. If they are sure, and the planner is insisting different, then look it up! It’s all there in black and white.

If what the planner plans, doesn’t come off due to a lack of knowledge, that’s their look out…

F-reds:

Rowley010:

I strongly disagree with that - it’s the drivers responsibility to know the regs. If they are sure, and the planner is insisting different, then look it up! It’s all there in black and white.

If what the planner plans, doesn’t come off due to a lack of knowledge, that’s their look out…

I don’t think you are disagreeing with him at all…

Sent using smoke and mirrors

He’s saying a planner should have a cpc in drivers hours.

I don’t think we need to be devalued anymore than is necessary! Learn the regs so it doesn’t matter what the bloke on the end of the phone thinks he knows…

I don’t think it is necessarily a bad idea that a planner (and I mean purely scheduling/running drivers, nothing more in depth) has some form of certifiable training.

I don’t mean a full CPC but certainly the equivalent of a couple of modules of the drivers CPC particularly in relevance to drivers hours.

It would certainly solve some problems as a bog standard planner can always fall back in the fact they often have no specific training.

The proviso should be they also hold some accountability. This would certainly sharpen their “optimism” regarding some routings if the prospect of them being held to be responsible is there.

I don’t mean that they stand in the dock next to a driver who knowingly runs bent of his own accord but certainly should be answering questions if a firms drivers are continually running over due to ■■■■ poor planning.

I think ‘planners’ should at least have to attend an ‘OLAT’ (Operator Licence Awareness Training) course to make sure they are fully aware of the Operator Licence undertakings and conditions, and a Drivers Hours course would be a very good idea as well.

We get a few ‘planners’ and compliance staff attend Transport Manager Refresher courses so they are up to date with drivers hours rules etc

kjw21:
I don’t think it is necessarily a bad idea that a planner (and I mean purely scheduling/running drivers, nothing more in depth) has some form of certifiable training.

I don’t mean a full CPC but certainly the equivalent of a couple of modules of the drivers CPC particularly in relevance to drivers hours.

It would certainly solve some problems as a bog standard planner can always fall back in the fact they often have no specific training.

The proviso should be they also hold some accountability. This would certainly sharpen their “optimism” regarding some routings if the prospect of them being held to be responsible is there.

I don’t mean that they stand in the dock next to a driver who knowingly runs bent of his own accord but certainly should be answering questions if a firms drivers are continually running over due to ■■■■ poor planning.

That’s what a Transport Manager is for. If you have a planner asking you to break the law, you go to your Transport Manager. They are the responsible person that gets held to account as well as the driver. It is in their interest to ensure the routers have the knowledge.The system has this right, we are always complaining that the industry is over-regulated. The last thing we need is more hoops to jump through. I agree with F reds. Learn the rules, refuse to do anything you shouldn’t be.

Don’t have to rely on BS you hear in waiting rooms at RDCs. I swear the misinformation and half truths passed on by Barrack Room Lawyers in these places that becomes canon is responsible for more unnecessary Friday nights stuck in lay-bys than the genuine rules are.

I know that’s what a transport manager is for. under the current scheme. But how many actually personally monitor planning decisions and conversations between drivers.

Basically there is a middle man who can plan a driver into situations where two peoples livelihood and legal standing may be affected. And they have no comeback on them at all.

I know at the moment a driver has the final say over his hours compliance.

Look at dozy with stobarts. How many “dozy’s” do you think their are in the uk? For all his faults over a period of “as long as I can recall” his planner could screw him with no penalty.

How many of us in the past when we were new have been told basically pure ■■■■■■■■ in order to force us to work unknowingly illegally?

I know I was once if I’m honest. And I fell for it when I was new.

Hell a firm tried it with me a couple of weeks ago but now got told firmly that I’m right. I have been doing this a while now and I’ve also got a management CPC and the legendary drivers CPC, so legally I have no excuse really at all.

Look how many come on here with the same “my office told me…” And the office is wrong?

It’s more than once or twice. Admittedly usually newbies though.

I mean devolve the responsibility/accountability to a certain extent.

Level the playing field.

I have no clue how this could ever be implemented. It’s just an idea.

I mean no disrespect here at all, but if you’ve got a tmcpc as well as a dcpc, why did you need to post on here? Three reduced rests is pretty much rule number one on drivers hours, so it should’ve been obvious to a Tm qualified driver :open_mouth: