Hours question....

I normally pride myself on knowing my stuff hours wise, but something in my head is niggling me & I think I might have messed up. I did a driving assessment at a company on one of my rest days, however this followed working 6 consecutive days.

This was my shift pattern… I thought it would be OK because the 6 days I worked were Wed-Mon so technically spread over 2 weeks. Was I OK doing the assessment?

Week 1
Mon - OFF
Tues - OFF
Wed-Sun - Worked

Week 2
Mon - Worked
Tuesday - OFF/Driving Assessment
Wednesday - OFF
Thursday - Back to work (still had over 45 hours rest).

Looks OK.

rob22888:
I normally pride myself on knowing my stuff hours wise, but something in my head is niggling me & I think I might have messed up. I did a driving assessment at a company on one of my rest days, however this followed working 6 consecutive days.

This was my shift pattern… I thought it would be OK because the 6 days I worked were Wed-Mon so technically spread over 2 weeks. Was I OK doing the assessment?

Week 1
Mon - OFF
Tues - OFF
Wed-Sun - Worked

Week 2
Mon - Worked
Tuesday - OFF/Driving Assessment
Wednesday - OFF
Thursday - Back to work (still had over 45 hours rest).

Assuming the assessment was recorded?

Week 1 has a regular weekly rest

Week 2 … as long as you had at least 24 hours off before the assessment then ok
Also you would need at least 24 hours off after the assessment in order to reset the 144 hour/ 6 day clock

what would be useful is …
The time you started on the Wednesday
The time you finished on the Monday
The time you started and finished the assessment on the Tuesday
The time you started on the Thursday

Looks like I am OK then, cheers chaps. Yes, I had my card in for the assessment.

The time you started on the Wednesday - 5am
The time you finished on the Monday - 3pm
The time you started and finished the assessment on the Tuesday - 6-7am
The time you started on the Thursday - 10am.

Was just concerned about the 7 days on the bounce.

rob22888:
Looks like I am OK then, cheers chaps. Yes, I had my card in for the assessment.

It appears that you went over six 24 hour periods (144 hours) between weekly rest periods so you can expect an infringement.

tachograph:

rob22888:

It appears that you went over six 24 hour periods (144 hours) between weekly rest periods so you can expect an infringement.

Knew there was something. Rats.

Depending on your start time on the 1st Wed and the time of your assessment, but looks to me like you ■■■■■■ up I’m afraid mate.

144hrs from start to end - ie 6x24hrs from the 1st minute until your next weekly rest period, looks to me like you would most likely have gone over that.

rob22888:

Weds 5am to Tues 7am is 2 hours over the 144 max

Tue 7am to Thu 10am is 51 hours so a regular weekly rest for week 2

If you had done the assessment after 3pm on tue you would have been ok

ROG:

It’s the problem with driving assessments though when your already in a full time job, trying to fit it in. This place could only do them early morning.

rob22888:

ROG:

It’s the problem with driving assessments though when your already in a full time job, trying to fit it in. This place could only do them early morning.

I assume the driving assessment was part of an interview for another job, so you could argue it wasn’t work, but something you wanted to do that had no benefit for your employer.

Might be worth doing a printout for that day and writing on the back “driving assessment for (whoever) company” . Hopefully it will be enough of an explanation to stop to many more questions being asked.

muckles:

rob22888:

ROG:

I assume the driving assessment was part of an interview for another job, so you could argue it wasn’t work, but something you wanted to do that had no benefit for your employer.

Might be worth doing a printout for that day and writing on the back “driving assessment for (whoever) company” . Hopefully it will be enough of an explanation to stop to many more questions being asked.

Will do a print out but not sure we are likely to see a precedent being set for driving assessments being OK during rest periods though!

I did an assessment inbetween two night shifts, I did a print out and kept that for a month, I would have acted dumb (not much acting needed) if I had got pulled. I got the job and it got me away from a place I really no longer wanted to be :grimacing: so was worth it

I think I might have asked the assessor if I could just do a manual print out for it and not insert the card = VERY NAUGHTY :smiling_imp: :wink: :unamused: