Hours gurus answers on a postcard please

I have a truck in France at the moment. Currently double(multi) manned. The guys will be coming off the back of 24 off tomorrow evening to start a new shif. 1 started Sunday am did one day solo the other joined on Monday am so no bother weekly rest etc. Driver who started Monday suddenly remembered that he has an important appointment on Wednesday lunchtime and wants to get off.
My options are let them start Wednesday pm, get to uk and take both off and replace with 2 more. (Single manning not an option due to load) or my theory which I may be way out on as not tm, let the 2 start in France, let mr forgetful off in uk and replace with third driver. Am I right in thinking driver who is staying on board does not go over the 21 hour spread or his 9/10 driving hours. And drivers getting on/off don’t exceed 15 hour spreads or 9/10 driving and vehicle is stationary for 9hours in the 30 all is doable?
Is that not why the term was changed to multi manning?
All answers greatly received.

2nd man must join within 1st hour of journey.

So if I’m reading what your saying no you can’t do it

Good question!

AFAIK, it doesn’t have to be the same two crew members, so as long as the the first driver is not driving more than his hours and has a second man all the time ( that first hour rule doesn’t apply here ), that would be OK and that the third driver is not exceeding the 15 hour rule, I’d do it.

I’d be interested in what the definitive is, given that we multi-man for load reasons as well. Not a scenario we’ve had to do, but you never know.

At what point in the shift of driver one, will drivers two and three swap?

As has been said already the ‘1 hour rule’ only applies if driver 1 starts the shift on his own meaning the 2nd driver must join the shift no later than 1 hour so in this case that doesn’t apply.

You can change the ‘other’ driver at anytime as long as there are two or more drivers and driver 1 is one of them.

The whole thing will be restricted by driver 1. He can do the 21 hour duty period leaving him 9 hours rest in the 30 hour day but because he cannot take a rest in a moving vehicle the vehicle will need to stop at that point. The other driver could carry on working - but not driving. If driver 1 leaves the vehicle multi-manning is finished.

So it sounds to me like you got it right :smiley:

Drivers 1 + 2 will be ok legally for MM but it is driver 3 which may not be depending how far into driver 1 shift they join him - more than 1 hour into shift then driver 3 is not on MM rules

If driver 1 always has another driver with him then that driver is on MM rules for the entire shift

If it goes like this …
Driver 1 + 2 do the first 6 hours of the shift together then at the 6 hour point driver 3 takes over from driver 2, it means that driver 1 can do a 21 hour shift and driver 3 can do a 15 hours shift proving he has a reduced available
That means both drivers 1 + 3 will need to start rest at the same time

If the driver 2 + 3 changeover is not at base then any time travelling to or from the changeover point cannot be counted as rest

This is why I drive & don’t do TM, I don’t even understand the question let alone the answers :blush:

Do you have the link to that bit in writing rog?
Job is load round chantilly 1/2 hour, up to train 3,1/2 hours 1hour to cross and 2 hours to cobham services so 2/3 man swap 7 hours into shift then 8 hours worth of running in uk so driver 1 well under 21 and drivers 2 and 3 both well under 15.

mutley75:
Do you have the link to that bit in writing rog?
Job is load round chantilly 1/2 hour, up to train 3,1/2 hours 1hour to cross and 2 hours to cobham services so 2/3 man swap 7 hours into shift then 8 hours worth of running in uk so driver 1 well under 21 and drivers 2 and 3 both well under 15.

Its in the regs

No probs at all if all under 15 with reduced available - no need for MM

will the swap happen at base ? - if not then the travelling to and from the swap place from base/home must be officially recorded for each swap driver