hours/days

TEMPORARY RELAXATION OF THE ENFORCEMENT OF DRIVERS’ HOURS AND WORKING TIME RULES: DISTRIBUTION OF ROAD SALT; ANIMAL FEED AND KEROSENE, GAS OIL AND LPG

In response to requests from Industry, the Department for Transport has agreed to a temporary, and limited, emergency relaxation of the enforcement of EU drivers’ hours and working-time rules for drivers of vehicles engaged in Great Britain in the delivery of (a) road salt; (b) raw materials to feed mills and prepared feed to livestock farms; and (c) kerosene, gas oil and Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) to domestic, agricultural and small industrial premises (including journeys involved in the supply of these specified products between refineries to distribution depots).

This temporary relaxation applies from 12:01 on 28 March 2013 and will run until 23:59 on 08 April 2013 and will apply only to those drivers involved in the delivery of (a); (b); and (c) detailed above within Great Britain.

The Department reserves the right to withdraw the relaxation earlier if circumstances change, for example if GB experiences significantly warmer weather during the period.

The Department wishes to make clear that driver safety must not be compromised. Drivers should not be expected to drive whilst tired - employers remain responsible for the safety of their employees and other road users.

For the drivers and work in question, the EU drivers’ hours rules will be temporarily relaxed as follows:-

• Replacement of the EU daily driving limit of 9 hours with one of 10 hours;
  • Reduction of the daily rest requirements from 11 to 9 hours;
  • Lifting the weekly (56 hours) and fortnightly driving limit (90 hours);
  • Postponing the weekly rest requirement until 23:59 on Wednesday 3 April, following which drivers should take their weekly rest as normal. Drivers will however be required to take a minimum rest of 24 hours beginning no later than the end of the eleventh day since the end of his/her last weekly rest period.

The requirement to take a 45 minute break after 4½ hours driving remains and will continue to be rigorously enforced.

The enforcement of working time rules has also been relaxed for this period to allow drivers to work up to 66 hours instead of the usual 60 hour weekly maximum. This extra time should be recorded, but does not count for the purposes of determining average working time

The practical implementation of the temporary relaxation should be through agreement between employers and employees and/or driver representatives.

The drivers in question must note on the back of their tachograph charts or printouts the reasons why they are exceeding the normally permitted limits. This is usual practice in emergencies and is, of course, essential for enforcement purposes.

The temporary relaxation of the rules described above reflects the exceptional circumstances of the increased demand for supplies of the commodities in (a), (b) and (c ) above due to the current extreme weather conditions. The Department emphasises that businesses are expected to plan for and manage the risks of disruption to supply chains where adverse weather conditions have been forecast. Further relaxations will not be granted beyond 8 April if the adverse weather conditions persist and alternative arrangements are not made.
All enquiries regarding interpretation of these temporary arrangements should, in the first instance, be made to the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency on 0300 1239000 or via email at enquiries@vosa.gov.uk
We will keep these temporary arrangements under review.

In light of this temporary relaxation, the earlier temporary relaxation issued at 00.01 on Sunday 24 March 2013 for drivers involved in the distribution of raw materials to feed mills and prepared feed to livestock farms within Great Britain, and which was due to end at 23.59 on 30 March 2013, will be withdrawn with effect from 12.00 on 28 March 2013.

28 March 2013

how many consecutive days can be worked

I just want to be absolutely sure about this

sea frog:
TEMPORARY RELAXATION OF THE ENFORCEMENT OF DRIVERS’ HOURS AND WORKING TIME RULES: DISTRIBUTION OF ROAD SALT; ANIMAL FEED AND KEROSENE, GAS OIL AND LPG

In response to requests from Industry, the Department for Transport has agreed to a temporary, and limited, emergency relaxation of the enforcement of EU drivers’ hours and working-time rules for drivers of vehicles engaged in Great Britain in the delivery of (a) road salt; (b) raw materials to feed mills and prepared feed to livestock farms; and (c) kerosene, gas oil and Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) to domestic, agricultural and small industrial premises (including journeys involved in the supply of these specified products between refineries to distribution depots).

This temporary relaxation applies from 12:01 on 28 March 2013 and will run until 23:59 on 08 April 2013 and will apply only to those drivers involved in the delivery of (a); (b); and (c) detailed above within Great Britain.

The Department reserves the right to withdraw the relaxation earlier if circumstances change, for example if GB experiences significantly warmer weather during the period.

The Department wishes to make clear that driver safety must not be compromised. Drivers should not be expected to drive whilst tired - employers remain responsible for the safety of their employees and other road users.

For the drivers and work in question, the EU drivers’ hours rules will be temporarily relaxed as follows:-

• Replacement of the EU daily driving limit of 9 hours with one of 10 hours;
  • Reduction of the daily rest requirements from 11 to 9 hours;
  • Lifting the weekly (56 hours) and fortnightly driving limit (90 hours);
  • Postponing the weekly rest requirement until 23:59 on Wednesday 3 April, following which drivers should take their weekly rest as normal.
    The requirement to take a 45 minute break after 4½ hours driving remains and will continue to be rigorously enforced.

The enforcement of working time rules has also been relaxed for this period to allow drivers to work up to 66 hours instead of the usual 60 hour weekly maximum. This extra time should be recorded, but does not count for the purposes of determining average working time

The practical implementation of the temporary relaxation should be through agreement between employers and employees and/or driver representatives.

The drivers in question must note on the back of their tachograph charts or printouts the reasons why they are exceeding the normally permitted limits. This is usual practice in emergencies and is, of course, essential for enforcement purposes.

The temporary relaxation of the rules described above reflects the exceptional circumstances of the increased demand for supplies of the commodities in (a), (b) and (c ) above due to the current extreme weather conditions. The Department emphasises that businesses are expected to plan for and manage the risks of disruption to supply chains where adverse weather conditions have been forecast. Further relaxations will not be granted beyond 8 April if the adverse weather conditions persist and alternative arrangements are not made.
All enquiries regarding interpretation of these temporary arrangements should, in the first instance, be made to the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency on 0300 1239000 or via email at enquiries@vosa.gov.uk
We will keep these temporary arrangements under review.

In light of this temporary relaxation, the earlier temporary relaxation issued at 00.01 on Sunday 24 March 2013 for drivers involved in the distribution of raw materials to feed mills and prepared feed to livestock farms within Great Britain, and which was due to end at 23.59 on 30 March 2013, will be withdrawn with effect from 12.00 on 28 March 2013.

28 March 2013

how many consecutive days can be worked

I just want to be absolutely sure about this

Drivers will however be required to take a minimum rest of 24 hours beginning no later than the end of the eleventh day since the end of his/her last weekly rest period.
hth

This is worth printing off.
If anyone ends up in court being told how dangerous they are, How much they have put other road users at risk for doing 95 hours in a fortnight, for doing 3, 10 hour drives in a week, or not catching up on a reduced rest period.
If it’s dangerous, Then the Government wouldn’t sanction the relaxation of the rules.

limeyphil:
If anyone ends up in court being told how dangerous they are, How much they have put other road users at risk for doing 95 hours in a fortnight, for doing 3, 10 hour drives in a week, or not catching up on a reduced rest period.
If it’s dangerous, Then the Government wouldn’t sanction the relaxation of the rules.

I agree, they can’t say that in broad terms it’s a danger to other road users one week ,then suddenly say it’s safe the next when it suits them, it’s like moving the goalposts back and forth. I remember a couple of years ago they done the same when the supermarkets ran short of food due to bad weather or something, I just stuck to my 13/15 spreadovers and said ■■■■ them, I could have done the extended S/over that week and got done for going over by 5mins the next so why should I, we can’t be looked on as vermin one day and heroes the next, just cos it benefits them :imp: .

robroy:

limeyphil:

I agree, they can’t say that in broad terms it’s a danger to other road users one week ,then suddenly say it’s safe the next when it suits them, it’s like moving the goalposts back and forth. I remember a couple of years ago they done the same when the supermarkets ran short of food due to bad weather or something, I just stuck to my 13/15 spreadovers and said [zb] them, I could have done the extended S/over that week and got done for going over by 5mins the next so why should I, we can’t be looked on as vermin one day and heroes the next, just cos it benefits them :imp: .

well said :sunglasses: I did exactly the same! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: STOBRATS = GOALPOSTS MOVE JUST FOR THEM! :bulb: I don’t think so! :smiley: