hourly rate

What is the going rate for ordinary agency work in the northwest?
It seems to have crept through the £10 mark but overtime rates/thresholds have slipped

I’ve just started for a new firm I was asked the dreaded question “What do you want an hour?”

I hate being asked this as the chap asking always knows what the job’s worth to the firm and how much they want to pay. Why not just say “It’s £11.50 an hour”

I told the bloke I wanted £120 a day and £25 a night out and he’s worn that. I can’t complain really the job is easy enough and it’s a decent lorry.

What’s the rate for S/E elsewhere?

overtime rates went a few years ago. its all flat rate now, some do night rates but only from a certain time of day which i wont accommodate that. tell me what the job pays from start to finish or dont bother. i am suggesting £10.50 per hour for weekdays but i am still to negotiate saturday and sunday rates for us. i should be seeing him today and want to discuss rates with him once and for all

An agency I worked for about 10 years ago periodically sends me a flier advertising current jobs, presumably when they are really desperate. A total waste of time as I have told them over the phone more than once that I’m not ‘in the market’ but it keeps happening every six months or so.

This week’s effort contains two C+E jobs for an area which is just about in the NW.

The first is for wag+drag work, trunking. Five days out of seven, £9/hr days, £10/hr nights.

The second is where my eyes nearly popped out of my head. Monday to Friday trunking, occasional Saturdays for the wonderful rate of… £7/hr :open_mouth: or a tenner after eight hours. I just hope that whatever drivers they get to work for seven quid an hour damage each and every single vehicle of whoever the operator is. Maybe then they might work out that if you pay a decent wage you’ll get decent drivers, who bring the kit back in the same condition it went out in.

The other jobs are: 7.5t home deliveries, £6.50/hr; 7.5t double-manned Tues-Sat £7.25/hr and £8.25/hr after eight hours; and class 2 at £8/hr straight through including weekends.

I know for a fact that apart from the wag and drag job rates were at least as good or better than these ten years ago. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

scanny77:
overtime rates went a few years ago. its all flat rate now, some do night rates but only from a certain time of day which i wont accommodate that. tell me what the job pays from start to finish or dont bother. i am suggesting £10.50 per hour for weekdays but i am still to negotiate saturday and sunday rates for us. i should be seeing him today and want to discuss rates with him once and for all

I charge overtime rates.

Not as much as I’d like but at least time and a third as a guide. If they don’t want to pay it that’s ok I don’t work for them.

scanny77:

Jesus I was on that when I stopped driving in 2008.

Conor:

scanny77:

Jesus I was on that when I stopped driving in 2008.

the rate i have been on has varied from £9 (days) to £10.20 (days/nights) depending on agency. £10.50 round the clock isnt a bad rate round here but it gives me room to suggest a higher rate as an incentive to work hard and be careful. the customer i am working with will put drivers on a rota so they will give them the shifts directly and they get priority. as its up to the customer who gets put on that, it all comes down to how well the drivers do the job. i think they should get a higher rate as a reward for putting the effort in and its an incentive to get on the rota but since it comes down to drivers themselves, they should reap the rewards instead of the agency taking the money for their hard work

scanny77:
overtime rates went a few years ago. its all flat rate now.

Standard Rate at least £10ph for days, overtime at 150% after 8 hours.

150% Standard rate saturday

200% Sunday rate

I know that drivers will work for less, I am S/E and set my prices according to supply and demand, you wouldn’t go to a car dealer and ask for a full service and say “I only pay £7 an hour…” they would tell you to ■■■■ off