Hourly rate for LTD company

Mike-C:
Its long been a source of amusement for me, this situation… There are guys looking for a full time job and can’t get a step on the ladder because they do not have the covetted “2yrs experience”. And yet, at the same time, someone who has barely passed his test can set himself up as a Ltd. Company, and be his own “Director” of his company, charge clueless rates and no one is really bothered… Well, until he decides its not working out !! At the same time as not knowing his arse from his elbow as regards driving a truck, he wouldn’t know his arse from his elbow as regards running a Ltd Company either. And a “Contract” is one of them things you get with your fone innit ?
Thats not a pop at the OP or anyone in general, its just an observation having seen this many times before.

Always makes me grin when a driver tells me he’s a “director” of his own Company :grimacing: Sure you are bud!!! And you have a great big accountants bill and no shareholders xmas party with your exies !!! :slight_smile:

What a sad little man you come across as.

Mark500:
Dear God £9.50 ph LTD! Bet u get plenty of work at those rates & no wonder. They’ll be loving you. No expenses, no mileage & having to fund your own hols on £9.50 ph! I recently changed from Ltd on £19.25 ph back to PAYE £18.03 ph because the £1.22 difference per hour was not viable. I seem to remember Winseer, I think, state that LTD had to be approx £2.85 ph more than PAYE to be viable. £9.50 ph LTD is definetly “plant pot” territory!!

What company is this ? :sunglasses:

del trotter:

Mike-C:
Its long been a source of amusement for me, this situation… There are guys looking for a full time job and can’t get a step on the ladder because they do not have the covetted “2yrs experience”. And yet, at the same time, someone who has barely passed his test can set himself up as a Ltd. Company, and be his own “Director” of his company, charge clueless rates and no one is really bothered… Well, until he decides its not working out !! At the same time as not knowing his arse from his elbow as regards driving a truck, he wouldn’t know his arse from his elbow as regards running a Ltd Company either. And a “Contract” is one of them things you get with your fone innit ?
Thats not a pop at the OP or anyone in general, its just an observation having seen this many times before.

Always makes me grin when a driver tells me he’s a “director” of his own Company :grimacing: Sure you are bud!!! And you have a great big accountants bill and no shareholders xmas party with your exies !!! :slight_smile:

:neutral_face:
What has he said wrong exactly for you to come back with that comment. :open_mouth:
At least try and elaborate on it rather than just make a short meaningless sound bite, if only to enlighten us. :bulb:
I can not see anything that he has said that aint true, so I suppose I’m a sad little man also.

(Btw just for the record I’m ecstatically happy and 6 foot 1 :smiley: )

alix776:
950 per hour if there’s no other would be worth doing. All these that’s a rubbish rate need to get in to the real world many driver earn much less

£950 an hour .thats huge money .on another note if your happy to get bent over to please your boss for £9.50 per hour good for you lad…

So Mike-C is a " sad little man " for saying it how it is Del?

I don’t know what size you are, but I would suggest it is you that is pretty sad. You come across as an angry character with a chip on your shoulder. The VAST majority of drivers who are self employed or LTD Co or whatever are simply trying to maximise their earnings at the expense of the taxpayer.

Have an opinion, that’s fine but the truth will always be the truth regardless.

eagerbeaver:

I don’t know what size you are, but I would suggest it is you that is pretty sad. You come across as an angry character with a chip on your shoulder. The VAST majority of drivers who are self employed or LTD Co or whatever are simply trying to maximise their earnings at the expense of the taxpayer.

Well the fan boys are out and arse kissing the mighty Mike-C, the day I listen to anything an idiot like you has to say is a long way off.

del trotter:

eagerbeaver:

Well the fan boys are out and arse kissing the mighty Mike-C, the day I listen to anything an idiot like you has to say is a long way off.

Please don’t include me in that mate, just because I agree with the guy that you do not does not make me a fan nor kissarse.

As for Mike being ‘mighty’ that is your opinion, where as I do not even know him.
Still no explanation or refutment of the original argument I notice, but instead another insult.

The thing is Del, I enjoy being an idiot. However from time to time, I like to expose the part of me that can have a reasoned and potentially intellectual debate.

But in fairness, you have natural ability at the former :wink: I have to work at it…

Mike-C:

Mike there is another way of looking at this. Coming from a director of a ltd company that does his own books and has for 4 years now.

I work as “agency scum” because it suits me. To be honest I hate the job and do it to earn money. My goal is to earn the money i need to survive every year in as few weeks work as possible.

I started a ltd company to avoid (legally) tax. The removal of travel allowance has taken most of this benefit away. So I considered going paye. But heres the problem i might work for 5 different agents a year switching back and forward. The constant hassle of switching employers would be a nightmare, one which would no doubt confuse hmrc (it doesnt take much). As for getting the benfits of paye from agents (holidays and sick pay) holding ones breath would result in suffocation. An agent who cant tell the truth about simple things is never going to deliver holiday pay that will reduce their margin.

So i will continue as a ltd company, Paying myself a wage and paying tax (be it IT NI or CT is my business) because it is the easiest way to operate. IF the government comes up with a scheme more suited to the flexible working practices they encourage I would happily sign up. I would happily be self employed and complete the annual tax return but no agency will employ me that way.

All that said it is concerning the amount off flipflops who are ltd, that pay no tax file no returns and simply intend to fo home when the bill finally arrives…

del trotter:

Mike-C:

Explain that for me ? I’ve just highlighted how inexperienced drivers get the ■■■■ taken out of them, their holiday pay reduced to nil through a scenario of “self employmemt”. I’ve highlighted how a company “needs” an experienced driver with two years experience, probably for Insurance reasons. But when it comes to contracting as a “Ltd. Company” they don’t give two ■■■■■ what he knows or doesn’t know. By me pointing this out i come across to you as a "sad little man " ? I am BTW, but i just wanna know how you know this ?

For the benefit of anyones doubt… i do not advocate going the self employed route. Been there got the tee shirt. Being a contactor (IR35), which i’ve done also is a whole different ball game. Its great, when you are actually a “contractor”.

So tell me Del, why am i sad for grinning about a guy who can barely drive asking what he should charge? Personally speaking if someone came to me who hardly knew what they where doing, then i’d pay then the minimum i had too. Thats pretty much par for the course everywhere not just here. Who pays top money for someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing?

You come across to me Del as one of them Company Directors !!! :grimacing: New ones of course.

calsdad:
Mike there is another way of looking at this. Coming from a director of a ltd company that does his own books and has for 4 years now.

I work as “agency scum” because it suits me…

There isn’t another way to look at it. You have not read what i said. I know fully how Ltd Co works, i know fully how Agency works. You’ve just said how you work.

What advice do you have for the OP, who does not know what to charge ? Would you like to tell him his rate ? He’s not been going long, so wether he can turn his hand to tail lift deliveries, blow off a tanker, discharge one, collect a container from a sea port i’ve no idea. Get himself round the UK in the shortest distance permissable ? Strap, provide PPE ? Insured ? Maybe best start negotiating it all at the traffic desk infront of employed drivers !! As they do … :grimacing:

HGV driving as a ltd isn’t to bad the real urine extractors are the likes of Amazon paying 100 quid a day then extracting 200 per week for van rental. It seams like the American lease hauling deal to me . Actually its not Amazon them selves that run it they get service partners in to do that

I am a bt puzzled here…Surely its the agency that dictate the hourly pay to the ltd company…I mean yes you can negotiate a little but they will always cry that they are hardly making anything…

The resource i.e. the Driver is what it is, we are not offering anything unique…be on time, press D and away you go…surely there is no favouritism and why should they pay more rather than the market rate flip flops, warts and all…

On another note can someone care to explain why travel expenses are no longer so…surely if you are working at multiple customers via one or multiple agencies you can claim for those expenses…

ie

Mon - Coalville
Tue - Burton
Wed - Tamworth
Thur- Leicester

Total Miles from home…350 @ 45p for first 10,000 miles then down to 25p

Am I missing something here??

Mike-C:

calsdad:

I work as “agency scum” because it suits me…

There isn’t another way to look at it. You have not read what i said. I know fully how Ltd Co works, i know fully how Agency works. You’ve just said how you work.

What advice do you have for the OP, who does not know what to charge ? Would you like to tell him his rate ? He’s not been going long, so wether he can turn his hand to tail lift deliveries, blow off a tanker, discharge one, collect a container from a sea port i’ve no idea. Get himself round the UK in the shortest distance permissable ? Strap, provide PPE ? Insured ? Maybe best start negotiating it all at the traffic desk infront of employed drivers !! As they do … :grimacing:

Dont see the point of having a pop at the way of working that is becoming par for the course in more industry sectors that the one we talk about here. Clearly OP doesn’t have experience, the frequently posted about “experience problem” forces agency work on such drivers and brings them to being a LTD company director. OP what you should be getting to cover for holidays etc is not really the issue, get what you can always push the agent a little more see where you stand.

Why have a pop at the individual, who may have little choice in the matter. Wouldn’t your ire be better focused on the employers who use the agency route to keep down there employment costs and the agencies who enable it … maybe even the government who allow it to happen. Not the individual who is just tries to earn a few quid and maybe in this case gain some experience.

boltonboy:
I am a bt puzzled here…Surely its the agency that dictate the hourly pay to the ltd company…I mean yes you can negotiate a little but they will always cry that they are hardly making anything…

The resource i.e. the Driver is what it is, we are not offering anything unique…be on time, press D and away you go…surely there is no favouritism and why should they pay more rather than the market rate flip flops, warts and all…

On another note can someone care to explain why travel expenses are no longer so…surely if you are working at multiple customers via one or multiple agencies you can claim for those expenses…

ie

Mon - Coalville
Tue - Burton
Wed - Tamworth
Thur- Leicester

Total Miles from home…350 @ 45p for first 10,000 miles then down to 25p

Am I missing something here??

You are missing that this method of claiming was stopped at the end of last tax year. This is now commuting. Suggest you visit hmrc website and get current on what you can claim for.

calsdad:
You are missing that this method of claiming was stopped at the end of last tax year. This is now commuting. Suggest you visit hmrc website and get current on what you can claim for.

I can just imagine BB’s shock reaction when he reads this :wink:

If you’re self employed you set your own hourly rate, and the client takes it or leaves it.

If you work for an agency, then they are employing you, but pretending you’re still self employed by the looks of it.
Worst of both worlds. You pay all your own overheads, and you don’t get to claim it back for tax - because that’s only allowed for “proper” self-employed.

I’m surprised there is any of this still going on - now that HMRC has cracked down on it already. :open_mouth:

Winseer:
If you’re self employed you set your own hourly rate, and the client takes it or leaves it.

If you work for an agency, then they are employing you, but pretending you’re still self employed by the looks of it.
Worst of both worlds. You pay all your own overheads, and you don’t get to claim it back for tax - because that’s only allowed for “proper” self-employed.

I’m surprised there is any of this still going on - now that HMRC has cracked down on it already. :open_mouth:

HMRC crackdown … The only eveidence I have seen of this is the investigations into umbrella/ltd scams. Many agencies dont offer a PAYE option that they manage themselves its ltd or PAYE through umbrella. If they do offer PAYE they will allocate work to ltd first it’s easier and more profitable no doubt for them.

All this talk of crackdown by hmrc!! yet not one person on here has posted about being investigated without it being linked to umbrella scams. Just scaremongering about said investigation, but no actual poster saying it happened to me.Just non ltd drivers saying you will get caught. Happy to be corrected.

As someone caught in this scam who keeps money to one side for the potential fine (easy to calculate exposure, being 3 years for tax and forever for VAT) which is a bonus if i get away with it, I would love some proof that ltd drivers have been investigated and fined so I can estimate my exposure. If there are 100 ltd drivers on here and one has been fined I can handle a 1% risk if its 50% (which i doubt as I haven’t seen anyone posting about there misfortune in 2.5 years) evasive action might be required.

Is that you who waved on the pillows calsdad ?

Not me Dan. Been working away for the green machine for last few weeks. Just having some time at home this week.