Hough Green doing a bit of recovery

Some one dropped a trailer on the M58 today, just some pics of the event.

Started with just one wrecker.

Then backup arrived in the shape of a Scania 8x4 R470

Then more backup arrived this time it was an XF tractor unit

But now how do we turn a wrecker around on an open motorway?

A few shunts later and bingo!

Then more backup arrived, this time its a MAN 6x4 with trailer

Do we need more help?

Maybe not.

But 10 mins later he’s back!

What more do we need? A DAF CF maybe?

Lets start the lifting.

Then i got bored and went home.

It is certainly going to be an expensive mistake for someone :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

might not have been a mistake.

The jaws may have broken up and fallen out letting go of the pin, trailer comes off naffs up the pin or neck meaning the skelly cant be used so a swap has to be done …

We had a set of jaws disintagrate once Dot ( VOSA now) had us all walking the route about half a mile looking for bits of metal to find out what happened from leaving the yard to where the trailer came off…
We never found any of the bits, the 5th wheel was taken away and checked and the result was a faulty 5th wheel , the company and the driver were cleared with no fault.
The unit had only been MOT’d a few days before…

8 legger:

Nice to see the HATO’s actually aiding the manouvere by stopping traffic :unamused:

nickyboy:

8 legger:
That U turn is out of order!!!

Nice to see the HATO’s actually aiding the manouvere by stopping traffic :unamused:

My renault,how do you know another HATO unit was just about to implement a rolling road block,when the recovery driver could not be bothered to wait and turned around??
If one of my crews allowed this manouvre,we would be having words.Then I would be talking to recovery manager.

That manoeuvre is bang out of order by the recovery driver. He could have caused a serious head on collision!! The worst thing is, there is photographic evidence that can get him in a whole lot of trouble!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

extrucker:
My renault,how do you know another HATO unit was just about to implement a rolling road block,when the recovery driver could not be bothered to wait and turned around??
If one of my crews allowed this manouvre,we would be having words.Then I would be talking to recovery manager.

There is only one man to blame for that turn and that’s not the HATO officers.

Trouble is they were sat on the HS right behind him so god knows what they were thinking

I dont claim to be a recovery expert or an expert on container weights but are 2 wreckers needed to lift a container of that size? Seems a bit of over kill in my eyes.

nick2008:

Wheel Nut:

might not have been a mistake.

The jaws may have broken up and fallen out letting go of the pin, trailer comes off naffs up the pin or neck meaning the skelly cant be used so a swap has to be done …

We had a set of jaws disintagrate once Dot ( VOSA now) had us all walking the route about half a mile looking for bits of metal to find out what happened from leaving the yard to where the trailer came off…
We never found any of the bits, the 5th wheel was taken away and checked and the result was a faulty 5th wheel , the company and the driver were cleared with no fault.
The unit had only been MOT’d a few days before…

It’s been mentioned before :wink:

Wheel Nut:

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:
They did discover a fault on the plastic wearing ring on one of our trucks. The driver picked a trailer up in Poole Harbour, drove it back 300km to Hilton and it came off in the yard :open_mouth:

It is a simple check when the unit is uncoupled, just look at the throat for cracks on the white insert, 2 minute fix.

damage is accentuated when driving on and off ferry ramps at stupid angles

Blimey so effectively all that stands between an artic staying coupled up and the trailer flying off the back of the unit is a piece of plastic.As if we have’nt got enough problems.

The picture is a bit poor as I took it from my screen, but that is about the size of it :stuck_out_tongue:

The Highway Man:
That manoeuvre is bang out of order by the recovery driver. He could have caused a serious head on collision!! The worst thing is, there is photographic evidence that can get him in a whole lot of trouble!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I have no intention of getting anyone into trouble, i only posted the pictures as i thought i would be of interest to some people so i’ve deleted the “photographic evidence” off my photobucket account.

I can understand your intentions, and I know you didn’t mean to get anyone in trouble. We all know these forums are open to anyone to see. The last thing we want is for anyone to get into trouble. I know it looks bad on all of us, the recovery driver for doing a dangerous manoeuvre, ourselves for not shutting the motorway temporarily to allow him to turn round. However, I wasn’t there so I’m not going to comment either way without knowing the full circumstances surrounding the incident. Stay safe. :wink: