Horseboxes and speed limiters

Trundling up the A19 yesterday towards Stockton, (Well someone has to. :smiley: ) and a couple of rather large horseboxes came past me at warp factor 9,and this got me thinking.

Why are they allowed to be exempt from the limiter laws?

The two concerned,were a Daf 1900 on a G plate,and a rather tidy Scania 82m,which was a similar vintage,so both within the scope in relation to age.

Now I know you could argue that they are not used for hire and reward,so maybe they should be exempt,but the fact is that they do carry livestock,like any livestock vehicle,and they have limiters,and more often than not,they are of the size of vehicle that should have limiters.

And if they were to have an accident,the carnage would be as bad as a limited vehicle.

What I do find though,is,in the case of the Scania,the driver is usually a rather nice laydeee,so every negative has a positive. :wink:

Ken.

You will probably find that they are not exempt

I think the limiters on the old scanias are easily by-passed

burnie1:
You will probably find that they are not exempt

I think the limiters on the old scanias are easily by-passed

Very easily!! Just pull fuse No1 and they go like a rocket.

You do lose all the intrument panel though as well.

But this is a common thing,no matter what the age or type of the vehicle.

I have been passed by vehicles that are brand new,and they seem to get away with it. :angry:

But it seems that the smaller vehicles, (7.5 t and under.) seem to plod along. (No pun intended.)

Although it might have everything to do with the fact our government don’t want to enforce ANY laws on the country/horsey/foxhunting set,but will continue to shaft the law abiding road transport set. :angry:

Ken.

Quinny:
Why are they allowed to be exempt from the limiter laws?

they’re not :wink:

and since last April they’re not exempt from tacho rules either

So what age of vehicle are we looking at here Denis,before the rules apply?

Ken.

they’re not

and since last April they’re not exempt from tacho rules either

When we have the misfortune of having horse boxes in for mot prep, the tachos now have to be sealed and calibrated (both the 2year and 6year). You can no longer fill in the ‘tacho excemption form at test centre’ to get round this.

Had a ‘C’ reg beford TK :open_mouth: in a couple of months ago for MOT and the last calibration date was something like 1990! It then had to go to tacho centre for calibration and ended up having a new head!! It was that rotten didnt even want to drive it to the end of the industrial estate let alone test centre, but shockingly it passed!! :open_mouth: :confused: :laughing: :laughing:

am looking to buy myself a horsebox (dont worry i’ll drive it right)

i was under the impression that as a personal vehicle they were exempt from limiters, but after looking at one or two to buy, i found that cables and fuses had been pulled out, so that the tacho/limiter wouldn’t work, when i asked about speed, they told me they used the speed on a sat nav - i quickly walked away and never considered it again.

i think most people who drive fast use horses as a business, raceyards and eventers, and the ones who go stupidly slow are the bog standard person who is scared that every little hole in the road will kill their beloved horse.

the other thing that i cannot work out is with 2 or 3 500-750 kg horses over the rear axel, wouldnt they be exceeding the axel weight ?

Quinny:
So what age of vehicle are we looking at here Denis,before the rules apply?

Ken.

I’ve had this in my photobucket album for a few years - think it explains it

hope it’s not out of date :wink:

So that Diagram that denis put on means I could by a 1987 Scania 142 and a speed limiter exempt?