Horse box / camper 7.5ton euro trip advise please

Not done any european apart from car and bike for 15 years so not sure of regs, hoping some of you experienced guys can please advise.

5 of us are going on a trip to the alps ( we go every year but usually ride there and back ) but this year we are taking one of the lads (farmer) horse / camper wagon. Basically it’s a 2007 7.5 tonner that has been converted to 60% camper and a rear area for two horses.

It has 6 seats with seat belts, kitchen toilet beds etc etc, we will have three bikes on board and two on a trailer.

The taxation class has been changed to private HGV and the v5 shows the same and he has a tachometer exemption form that is used when going for mot but that’s all. Insured fully comp any driver, three of us are class 1 other 2 have full car licence 20 plus years.

What I really need advise on is will this be enough for the French etc or will we be sat at the first toll booth with our pants down ready to be shafted!!!

We will have hotel booking confamation and bike docs etc so should be obvious that this is a trip and not a journey for profit or reward.

Any and all advise is welcome thanks. Ray

All have licence to drive it but each would need to be insured to do so
It is exempt tacho regs in all EU countries because it is non commercial and not over 7.5 tonnes

That’s the limit of what I have for you - I do not do Euro

Class 1 lads will be ok to drive, surely the others would need C1E

PaulNowak:
Class 1 lads will be ok to drive, surely the others would need C1E

WHY??!!
There is no big trailer if I read it right

I am assuming that it is a bike trailer of 750 kgs MAM

Yes that’s right 750kg trailer with two bikes around 180 kg each.

Ray.G:
Yes that’s right 750kg trailer with two bikes around 180 kg each.

Thought so - a C1 will cover that and you all have that

My bad, just had an image of some Carlos Fandango trailer. Apologies

Many thanks for all your reply’s

Unfortunately the vehicle combination will come under EU drivers hours rules, so you had better stick to them and use the Tacho.

The non commercial use exemption does not apply where the Maximum Authorised Mass of the vehicle or combination exceeds 7.5 tonnes. Under normal circumstances the vehicle by itself would be exempt EU hours rules and therefore Tacho when used by itself for non commercial transport. Unfortunately adding the trailer takes the MAM over 7.5 tonnes and I’m sure the Gendarmes let alone DVSA or Police in the UK would be quite interested.

geebee45:
Unfortunately the vehicle combination will come under EU drivers hours rules, so you had better stick to them and use the Tacho.

The non commercial use exemption does not apply where the Maximum Authorised Mass of the vehicle or combination exceeds 7.5 tonnes. Under normal circumstances the vehicle by itself would be exempt EU hours rules and therefore Tacho when used by itself for non commercial transport. Unfortunately adding the trailer takes the MAM over 7.5 tonnes and I’m sure the Gendarmes let alone DVSA or Police in the UK would be quite interested.

I missed putting the MAM of the 7.5 and trailer together :blush: :blush: :blush:
That, of course, takes it over the max combo private limit of 7.5 … tells self off !!