Hoping to start up soon, help needed!

Hello all,first of all, great site, only found you about two weeks ago and have been studiously reading through the forums since then (though am probably about to embarrass myself by asking some daft q’s) :laughing:

A bit about me, I’ve been an owner driver courier (I know, boo hiss!) running a small van and subbing mostly sameday work off TNT, DHL etc … for about 18 months now.

I’m looking to make the step up to owner driver fairly soon and having spent about a week reading through the forum’s, am keen to start with contract subbing on containers with HD, Maritime or the like.

I already have national/international cpc’s, adr and level 4, and am starting C+E course in April, but need some more info on a few areas, to help me make some (semi) informed decisions. Can anyone help with:

Operating Centres:

Does anybody know anywhere around South London/ Surrey (preferably in an SM, CR, KT or SW postcode) that offers contract parking for your O’ centre. Particulalrly interested in anywhere with fully secured and patrolled premises. I know it’ll cost a bit more, but I’m pretty sure it’s a sensible precaution. :confused:

Tractor Units & Trailers:

Have to concede this a big area of weakness for me, because as far as trucks and trailers go, I really don’t know my arse from my elbow. :blush: I know with HD they encourage renting one of their own trailers, on the premise that;

“This puts you into the trailer pool which allows us to run you more effectively in terms of “drop and swaps”, rather than having to ensure your own trailer is used all the time.”

At £110 p/w + VAT, am I being a tightwad, or does this seem a bit steep, also in practice how big an effect would using my own trailer have on available workload.

As for tractor units, (as a 6x2 will be essential for this type of work) can anyone
offer any pointers on something that is:

Reliable and relatively cheap to repair when problems do occur
Possessed of a reasonable bit of poke
Not prone to drinking like a Glaswegian dole hound :smiling_imp:

Any help you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,
I spent nearly 3 years subcontracting to Maritime, with between 1 and 3 motors, and in that time barely broke even on the job. Just think long and hard is all I’m saying. (If you want more info PM me)
£110 +vat for the trailer is a HUGE amount of money, yes it does meant your more flexible, but my skellies, 2002/04 dennisons cost me just over £60 a week and the’re mine in the end.
Best of luck to you.
Tramper
P.S about the parking, I shouldn’t look anywhere around Hungerford if I were you! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: (is that in bad taste? I’m sure a Moderator might think so… DENNIS! :laughing:

I live in the SM postcode on the border of CR and when I first started up I parked in a yard just off the Purley Way.
However this is now gone and it also cost a small fortune.I looked just about everywhere in the local area and it is just too expensive I eventually found a secure parking (patrolled by the police) space inside Tilbury Docks and at a reasonable rate.It was also handy as at the time I was subbying for H.D (in my experience I wouldn’t touch ‘em with a barge pole).
I am no longer trading so who know’s the space may be available and I know my neighbour there was thinking about giving up and he had 2 spaces also I sold him my old sliding skelly (with lifting & steering axles)
From my understanding tho’ I was under the imppression that you would make more profit in the business you are in now. :unamused:

Thanks for the replies gents, hope you don’t mind, but I’ve sent you both a pm. Any pointers or info you can offer will be greatly received.

Cheers

Mike

Mike Ryan (no, really):
Thanks for the replies gents, hope you don’t mind, but I’ve sent you both a pm. Any pointers or info you can offer will be greatly received.

Cheers

Mike

I havn’t received anything :confused: