Hoping for good news

I had an e-mail from an old boss this week a guy i used to work for about 3./4 years ago i have been on his ■■■ for ages wanting to go back and 2 years ago he offered me a job back with him but i knocked it back as i thought i had prospects otherwise in an office job but that didnt work out.

Anyway it was an excellent job i got home on occasions and booked a night out and even got my parking ticket paid for :wink::wink: no need to say any more about that, So its looking like i can go back if the guy whos driving there does anything else wrong, it was one of the best jobs i ever had and the main point was i enjoyed the job.

Theres one major drawback though its a Scania P cab (260 rigid with occasional drag) :frowning::(:frowning: and i have been spoilt recently driving FH12,s and occasional agency work in top motors.

So whats more important a decnet motor or a reasonable wage??>?>

I think the wage should come first however if he says hes bought some old ERF,s i have my limits !!!

I hope he gets in touch soon as it was probably the most enjoyable job i had in the past.

Jammy, good luck and I hope it works out for you.

I think that a decent wage is a higher priority than a fancy new motor, you cannot live on prestige, and if you like the job then that must go some way to making up for the older truck.

Just my view for what its worth :slight_smile:

I think you need a resonable wage and a reasonable motor, im a big bloke aswell, and i would point blank refuse to do nights out in a p cab, regardless of the wage.
Also you should think about whether or not you want to go back on nights out and miss out on family time.

Flash motors don’t pay the bills.

Ken.

:slight_smile: Only you know the answer to that one Jammy. I am also quite a big bloke and wouldn’t entertain a Poxy-cab either (they are torture chambers) or an ERF come to that. :slight_smile:

They could give me the oldest cab in the fleet as it won’t go as fast as them new one’s nowaday’s.At the end of the day it boil’s down to money,if it’s right then you gotta take it and it’s an added bonus if the guy ain’t that bad to work for,and the job is good.You’ll kick yourself Jammy if you let this job go by ( provided it come’s your way) on a silly thing like what truck you’ll be driving.

The very best of luck m8. :wink:

Well I drive an old '98 plate daf 85, over a million clicks on the clock, and i couldn’t be happier. But being realistic, the work we do wouldn’t pay for smart new motors. I’d rather have a well maintained old tub, a decent wage and a secure job than a flash motor anyday.
I must also be one of those extremely lucky people who actually enjoy their work…but it does grind when you’ve been soaked to the skin for the umpteen time.

Trucks dont, and never have ruled my choice of jobs, I would sooner work hard for a decent bloke then drift along with some big company accountants methods.

Having said that, I am off for my plane in 5 hours to get my new FM :stuck_out_tongue: its only the second brand new truck I have driven in 30 years :exclamation:

Money would have to be good for me to drive an ERF on a daily basis. Yes it is the money that the bills blah blah, but if you don’t get on with your “tool” for the job, you won’t be happy and just get agitated easily.

I thought many times of doing tramping with Charlie ■■■■’s on the Poundies contract through the agency but I wouldn’t be happy because I’d have to drive a Premium, even there’s potential to earn some serious money there.

Having said that, when the money gets as good as what I’m taking at the moment, then alright, you’ve talked me into it, I’ll take the ERF :laughing: .

To me, P-cab Scania 260’s aren’t too bad, when compared to Renault’s and ERF’s etc, but Alex might hate them as much as I hate Premium’s. Just depends what you’re prepared to put up with :bulb: .

P-cab Scanias are bearable to live in if you take the passenger seat out - the same as anything low roof, really. You took a ride in “Penfold” once Alex, remember how much junk I had crammed in? You were sitting on top of most of it at the time, after all! :blush: :blush: :blush: :wink:

That aside, job satisfaction is almost as valuble as money to me, if not more so…if you can get a job which gives you both, I’d overlook the motor. Unless it was a Premium. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well if the money was alright and you liked the job when you worked for him before maybe if you get the job it’s actually time to stop looking for greener grass.

Hope you get the news you want soon.

Money is what attracts anyone to the job first of all…after all…we cant live without it. There are exceptions of course…and i personally wouldnt spend nights away if the truck wasnt up to it. So at the interview…or sometimes beforehand…the mention of the trucks come into the conversation…if im not hapy..i tell them... I did go for an interview a while back...the money was good..the hours suited me..and the job was mine...as we walked into the yard...i said ..what truck will i be driving...that little volvo over there he said...it was the biggest heap of scrap id ever seen…so i told him …it looks like a scrap motor…or the shunter`
so i politely told him it wasnt for me…and walked out…so at the end of the day…its what suits you…

SORRY ;BUT the moneyis one which is first most in ones mind,and the fact that the vehicle is roadworthy and safe , yes it is nice to be seen driveing a
top of the range vehicle and if the firm can afford to pay my wages and buy such vehicles and stay in the trade, then i would of course take both but honestly a EMPLOYER needs also to make money and that is why one runs a business 89% OF THE TIME ,THE other 11% DO SPEND MORE ON THEIR TRUCKS;

Just had a phone call today looks like ill be starting soon hes just waiting for the other driver to leave or be pushed ( dont want to go in to detail), So im now a bit happier than i was when i was going to lose my job it olooks like ive got something a bit better on the horizon.

£24k a year plus £20 night out (2 a week), plus £10 a week meal allowance, all stats off, shut down 2 weeks at xmas which doesnt come out of my holidayallowance and all parking paid for with no limits.

something stupid like 40 days a year holiday :slight_smile::):):)…

:slight_smile: Best of luck with it then Jammy, got to be better than Wincanton anyday I spose. :wink:

carnt take the shinney motor to tescos can u bud, money,money,money, never mind the motor its only something you have to sit in and jockey around after all, but in your own head you will know what u want to do, good luck either way, daz

go for it jammy

im leaving the big wincanton to pastures new next week

£23.5 k plus a couple of nights out per week

Well it looks like ive DEFINATELY got the job its just a waiting game until the guy leaves or is pushed which wont be long hopefully :slight_smile::):):)…

Need to dig out me old telly and kettle and sleeping bag and water jug and…■■■■ where is it all :slight_smile::):):):)…

:slight_smile: Good Luck, Jammy.

A change is as good as a rest, as they say… :wink:

:blush: Sorry -

and Good Luck to you as well, Jonboy. :slight_smile: