Hoover Dam

Hello all Stateside Truckers. I am a trucker in the UK. Can you tell me if its true, that trucks have been banned form crossing the Hoover Dam. I visited the South West States back in 96, and particularly remember Trucks crossing it then. Thought it strange, that’s all. Have even got photos of your Trucks crossing the Hoover Dam.
Cheers Steve

Yes, they have. It’s quite a problem for drivers heading from Las Vegas to Kingman and Phoenix. You now have to go down to Laughlin and cross there.

:slight_smile: Thanks Alex, that’s a shame. Any idea why they banned them ?

One word mate, paranoia. They got worried that some foreign nutter would explode a truck full of something on the dam and bust it open. A lot of Dams here are now no truck zones.

Hey DAF, I’m a tanker driver in Phoenix and go to Las Vegas at least once a month, and I also go there to play regularly, actually just got back on Friday last week.

As for the Hoover Dam, yes, it is closed to commercial trucks…but, that does not apply to the trucks that are involved in the construction of the freeway overpass, a freeway over the Hoover Dam is coming, and for us truckers here, it is a god send. The days of having to go by Laughlin and adding an extra 60-70miles on a round trip will be gone. Probably will take them a few more years till it is complete, but it is well on its way.

It truly is a spectacular sight, but, once you’ve seen it, thats it. The traffic gets worse on it, everytimme I go over it. THey still allow huge Rv’s and boats and cars hauling other types of trailers, but on both sides of the ArizonaNevada border are police checkpoints that pull over anything that isnt a car.

Coming out of Vegas a year or so back, it took me almost three hours to get from Boulder City to the Arizona side of the border… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: a distance of some 10-15miles :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .

If any of you come back in this area of the US, drop me a line, always fun to hang out with folk from back home…

Stuart

I still remember my first time going down US93 over the dam. I was pulling a 53’er, came to those gawdawful switchbacks on the downhill, and was tracking a good bit over the centre line of one turn when one of those “mountain tankers” combos comes roaring full-bore up the other direction. :open_mouth:

Here’s some good pics of trucks on the Hoover dam: hankstruckpictures.com/nevada.htm

Stuart, I’d love to come back over and visit all around that area again. But I’ve got to wait till I’ve got some pennies :blush: :blush: :wink:

Alex, thanks for the photos, they’re great. Brings back some good memories.

Here’s your reason DAFMAD… but this was considered in the 1990’s anyway, due to the increased volume and weight. They were starting to think that the dam could no longer safely accomodate the traffic, which had more than doubled over the last 15 years… couldn’t cut and paste that part, was on a pdf adobe file… but there were no major restrictions until after sept 11…

Hoover Dam closed to commercial traffic

Fleet Owner, Sep 14 2001
Print-friendly format E-mail this information

The Hoover Dam and surrounding highways have been closed indefinitely to commercial vehicle traffic, according to a report issued today by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
FMCSA said in an e-mail that FBI sources indicated the action was precautionary, and not in response to any direct threat.

Thanks Kate. :smiley:
There’s always someone out to spoil it for everyone else. :wink: