Hook Parking

dieseldog999:
so did you find somewhere acceptable for your requirements,or did you just rough it in the four seasons? :unamused:

No you peasant. I rang my butler who picked me up in the Rolls and dropped me of at The Savoy for the night. I will leave the laybyes free for serfs such as you! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

pierrot 14:
Well we now come back to what the OP was asking for don’t we ? Somewhere to park up that isn’t a lay-bye, so I presume he wanted somewhere with facilities, which is why I pointed him in the direction of those 2 places.

Yeah fair enough. I’m just saying because he’s obviously got the impression that all lay-bys and I’m guessing industrial estates are third world, but I’m pointing out that many of them when you know where to go can often be cleaner and quieter than truck stops, and have some facilities close by in supermarkets etc. Just plan your shower on route and your sorted.

msgyorkie:

dieseldog999:
so did you find somewhere acceptable for your requirements,or did you just rough it in the four seasons? :unamused:

No you peasant. I rang my butler who picked me up in the Rolls and dropped me of at The Savoy for the night. I will leave the laybyes free for serfs such as you! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
at least us peasants know the correct spelling for the word … layby…laybys…lay-by…lay-bys…either is acceptaby correct.whereas laybyes is apparantly the incorrect spelling that only peasants would use.
hard to think that someone on here would be pedantic enough to have to resort to spelling and grammar mistakes though? :smiley:

Rowley010:

pierrot 14:
Well we now come back to what the OP was asking for don’t we ? Somewhere to park up that isn’t a lay-bye, so I presume he wanted somewhere with facilities, which is why I pointed him in the direction of those 2 places.

Yeah fair enough. I’m just saying because he’s obviously got the impression that all lay-bys and I’m guessing industrial estates are third world, but I’m pointing out that many of them when you know where to go can often be cleaner and quieter than truck stops, and have some facilities close by in supermarkets etc. Just plan your shower on route and your sorted.

Point taken Rowley, but haven’t you found that more and more Industrial Estates and other places that used to be great to park up are now getting more and more restrictions ? Take that other thread on Kent parking for example, I know Kent very well and over the years it’s been getting tighter and tighter to find somewhere. I remember about 10 years ago, they stopped you over-nighting in that little estate between J9 and the truckstop, then it was lay-byes on the A20 anywhere near J10 and Sellinge, then others on the A20 between J9 and Lenham. It’s getting worse and worse every day.

pierrot 14:

Rowley010:

pierrot 14:

Point taken Rowley, but haven’t you found that more and more Industrial Estates and other places that used to be great to park up are now getting more and more restrictions ? Take that other thread on Kent parking for example, I know Kent very well and over the years it’s been getting tighter and tighter to find somewhere. I remember about 10 years ago, they stopped you over-nighting in that little estate between J9 and the truckstop, then it was lay-byes on the A20 anywhere near J10 and Sellinge, then others on the A20 between J9 and Lenham. It’s getting worse and worse every day.

Fortunately I rarely have to park overnight in Kent. When I do park in a decent spot I just try and do my bit to respect it such as not leaving litter, etc because once all the business on the estate get annoyed then that’s it, they will all come together and get the council or other estate owner to put restrictions in place and then we’ve lost it.

Rowley010:

pierrot 14:

Rowley010:

pierrot 14:

Fortunately I rarely have to park overnight in Kent. When I do park in a decent spot I just try and do my bit to respect it such as not leaving litter, etc because once all the business on the estate get annoyed then that’s it, they will all come together and get the council or other estate owner to put restrictions in place and then we’ve lost it.

I’m with you 100% on that last comment . If I am in the area I normally try for the Airport Cafe, Sellinge, haven’t been for a while but someone I know told me that they’ve extended the parking using land on the opposite side of the road.

:smiley:

dieseldog999:

msgyorkie:

dieseldog999:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
at least us peasants know the correct spelling for the word … layby…laybys…lay-by…lay-bys…either is acceptaby correct.whereas laybyes is apparantly the incorrect spelling that only peasants would use.
hard to think that someone on here would be pedantic enough to have to resort to spelling and grammar mistakes though? :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley:

Rowley010:

pierrot 14:

Its like this fella…my company is a modern thinking company and doesn’t like us parking where there are no wash/toilet facilities. They correctly believe that this is a minimum you should expect when parking for the night. So they have issued us with company credit cards that are used for overnight parking. Our contract also states that an evening meal is also to be provided by the company.
So when all that is on offer why would I then go and use a layby or some industrial back street to sleep in?

msgyorkie:

Rowley010:

pierrot 14:

Its like this fella…my company is a modern thinking company and doesn’t like us parking where there are no wash/toilet facilities. They correctly believe that this is a minimum you should expect when parking for the night. So they have issued us with company credit cards that are used for overnight parking. Our contract also states that an evening meal is also to be provided by the company.
So when all that is on offer why would I then go and use a layby or some industrial back street to sleep in?

Generally you’d always choose the truck stop. However even with that if my choice was between a truck stop where I know I’d be wading through mud to go and brush my teeth or a decent industrial estate that’s clean and quiet, as long as I could get myself sorted with facilities en route I’d occasionally still go for the estate in those circumstances. But yeah totally if your company is paying for all that I’d be trying to plan to get a good, clean one, with decent facilities. No doubt.

msgyorkie:

Rowley010:

pierrot 14:

Ok yeh, lay by deffo no no …end of.
However tbf, and as long as I’m not loaded high value of course, I’d much rather park in an area described with nearby facilities, on edge of a town.
As for toilet facilities…, unless you have prostate or IBS symptoms or something, you don’t really need a bog through night, but even if you do, a lot of Maccy Ds are 24 hrs afaik.

As for washing I always shower somewhere before I park up, and I have a washbowl for morning, not really a hardship is it?
Also you have much better choices of eating establishments in a town, with better quality cooked food than some msa cheap crap at premium prices ■■■■ hole or second rate truckstop.

pierrot 14:

Rowley010:

pierrot 14:

Rowley010:

pierrot 14:

I’m with you 100% on that last comment . If I am in the area I normally try for the Airport Cafe, Sellinge, haven’t been for a while but someone I know told me that they’ve extended the parking using land on the opposite side of the road.

They did extend parking only for the locals to object. It is now all fenced off permanently closed. Word is they never had permission to open parking on the opposite side of the road

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk