hook loading

How diffucult is this to master correctly and safely?

Rich80:
How diffucult is this to master correctly and safely?

Start with a short rod and use maggots and work up from there :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry - don’t know anything about it, but there’s bound to be a course and certificate for it. I’m thinking of doing a PhD in tail-lifts :laughing:

Well I can’t say for certain as I’ve never actually done it, but I have done skips and to be honest it’s a no brainer.

I was working for a scrap metal company, and we had a few roll off wagons so they were always about.

The worst thing about skips is getting yourself positioned correctly so that you can get all four chains on first time, with hooks you only need to get out of the cab to open or close the bin door. Some wagons have cameras to help line up, most others just have a rear cab window. Getting square on to the bin is not essential, the hooks will pick them up at a surprising angle.

As for safely, then it’s common sense all the way. Is it a good site to drop the bin in? Power lines etc. Loose stuff in the bin.

It’s not very glam. work but if you are prepared to give it a go it might get you a good start.

i have done the hook lift job before did it for my first year driving its very easy mate and when you get used to it you can drop them any where we used to drop em then drag or push them in to buildings that was being knocked down or a refurb
:smiley:

one problem is hooking under the cross-member by mistake and attempting to lift by this instead of the pin, the bin then lifts to a certain angle then drops off. One waste company I know of fitted deflector plates to prevent you from doing this.

Go out and get some experiance you could keep asking questions all day long about various jobs.