Hook loader/hiab work

Hi everyone, I have been a member of this forum for a little while, not a frequent poster but a frequent reader, i work for family run firm in south Wales that builds sports grounds and play facilities.

Its my dad that owns and runs the firm, my brother is a surveyor and contracts manager and I run the transport and plant along with most of our larger natural grass sites.

We have just changed our O license from restricted to national as we have bought a new truck and would like to be able to hire it out along with our other truck when we are not as busy. I would ideally like a regular 2-3 days work a week for each.

My question is: does anyone know of any regular work for hook loaders (long distance is fine as the cab is a sleeper) and Hiab work? (Medium to long distance work is fine)

We currently own 3 vehicles, a old M reg 7.5 tonne tipper with a selection of 3 trailers, this is handy for us but we don’t intend to hire it as its old and shagged out!

The second is a scania tractor unit with a large 55t Hiab, this is then accompanied by a 3 axle step frame trailer with cheese wedge ramps at the back for over hanging containers or loading our plant and agricultural equipment, this trailer also has rear steer and a front lift axle.

The final vehicle is a brand new MAN 6 wheel rear steer hook loader and a custom 3 axle drawbar trailer with front lift axle and ramps at front and back to load plant onto the trucks plant puller body. This combination can carry 2 roll on roll off skips, pallets, plant, agricultural and even 2 x 20ft containers.

Francis

I work for a plant hire firm driving an 8w Hiab Beavertail.

My work is mostly local (80mile radius) and about 25% is own account work moving anything from a skiploader to a 14t excavator. The other 75% is for other plant hire firms, machinery dealers, fabricators, and groundwork / construction companies moving their plant, materials and cabins etc. Previously I had a 6w beavertail without a crane and we had another 6w with a crane when things were busier.

We also run a 44t step frame lowloader that does about 60% own account work and also plant movements for the above customer base.

Aside from just about of imaginable plant there is we have also moved tanks, boats, aircraft, cranes, fire engines, dustcarts and just about any other item that is not a regular shape or size.

There is definately work out there for flexible vehicles if you know where to look and can get the pricing right, our lot don’t seem to look for transport work and we keep busy. A few cards made up dropped into farm sales and auctions and a handout to give to local dealers or people with stuff to move will cost pence to produce, likewise ebay would be a good place to advertise. Advertise JCB, CAT, Digger, Dumper transport that sort of thing so that if someone is looking for a dumper then they’ll stumble across your listing which although isn’t selling anything directly it’s put your name forward when they consider how to get it home.

We are based in Essex which does have a fair bit of development going on so I guess that helps, but if you already have the equipment in place then you have nothing to lose by trying to drum up some business. Just think about the various organisations that might find you useful and target them.

PM me if you need to.

Thanks for that 8wheels, I currently have brochures on order, a new website being made and have an idea of local company’s that I’m going to chat to.

I have re branded our name for the logistical side and just can’t wait to get some work in.