Honest question, honest answers please

Aren’t the DVLA on strike again due to covid safety breaches?

Daf245:

Harry Monk:

Daf245:
Why let you’re entitlement go then?
No sympathy here you get entitlement to drive you hang onto it.

Well, because people do sometimes change their occupation if it suits their personal circumstances at the time and if someone does do that it wouldn’t necessarily make sense to spend £500+ on renewing a licence that wasn’t required.

I don’t think he was asking for sympathy.

Well he wants licence now all off a sudden

Yes, the OP needs a licence now and although his HGV test pass is still valid, he needs to renew the entitlement. This obviously entailed having a medical before the licence would be renewed by DVLA and the timeframe for this renewal is what he was asking about.

It wouldn’t make much sense to take a medical (and do the DCPC) if a person was not expecting to drive a truck for a living in the foreseeable future.

I thought,but probably wrongly, That if you did not hold a current licence for more than 10 years, then it was a retest. It was when I was a driving instructor

Daf245:

applecomson:

Redstar46:
Hi, I did my whole licenses through the pandemic ie car to class 1, every time my license was sent to the DVLA I had it back with in the week

Car licence, digi card and CPC card were all done online and arrived in less than a week. This HGV renewal thing is according to many people taking weeks ■■
It’s mental as I’m turning down good money because of DVLA and I want to be working.

Why let you’re entitlement go then?
No sympathy here you get entitlement to drive you hang onto it.
You obviously thought there was better out there for you.
That never worked out eh?
Youll never get rich driving a wagon but you’ll always eat

Maybe a prison sentence, sailing around the world, in a coma, working offshore!

So I found an email address today and discovered HGV drivers are on the ‘‘critical workers’’ list and I’m allowed to email and ask about the progress of my licence renewal, here’s their reply.
After reading through it I’m going to start applying for agency work somewhere in a warehouse or something and maybe I’ll like it and say screw the driving when or if they ever get round to returning my licence.
''Critical workers" ? My arse we’re thought of as anything as grand as that.

Thank you for your enquiry received on 2/7/2021.
Your case reference number is XXXXXXX.

I appreciate you contacting us to check the progress of your application.

As you have already sent your application into us, you can check if it has been issued by using our view driving licence service < gov.uk/view-driving-licence >. The ‘licence valid from date’ will be the date your last licence was issued. Please allow 2 weeks from this date to receive your licence.

If you sent it by recorded / special delivery please check the track and trace system on the Royal Mail website royalmail.com/track-your-item

Your barcode reference number can be found on your Post Office receipt. We are processing postal applications, but it will take longer than usual because we have less staff on site to comply with social distancing.

Paper applications are likely to take between 6-10 weeks to process, but there may be additional delays in processing more complex transactions. You can now check the earliest dates our departments are currently working and for any updates on our services here: gov.uk/guidance/dvla-corona … -19-update

There is no need to phone to chase up your application during this time as we are dealing with all paper applications as quickly as possible and in the order in which they are received.

I trust this is of assistance to you and I hope you receive your licence soon.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our reply form link or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser: