F88

CFAT

Early pioneer

Another f88 spacecab.

Steve

robthedog:
Early pioneer

Great photo Rob note the air stack up the back of the cab unusual for an AEC

Those Ergo sleeper cabs for Leylands/AECs weren’t as rare as you may think, especially in LHD; and they weren’t home brew, as they were factory built.

6x4 beaver lhd.jpg

5178662246_d4904a18b6_z.jpg

Some AEC examples

2j1ann9.jpg

AEC on Middle East 2.jpg
AEC%20004.jpg
AEC%20001.jpg
5897923234_b0dfaaf823_z.jpg

Who was JHW that looks like a well worked Mandator. Weren’t the high roof sleepers built by Sparshafts at Southampton?

There’s a lot about this on the AEC mandator V8 thread

EF27FCCC-910F-4905-BA46-84DB8255D25C.jpeg

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 96#p852838

Ramone,the J H W AEC was Geoff Frost who later went to Astran

robthedog:

I remember that discussion. Can’t work out whether those are my words, or the other fella (whose username also escapes me)! Whatever- we both learned a bit of interesting history, if I remember it correctly.

The first Ergo you posted, with the decoration on the front and a red tilt behind it, is a home-brew one, I think, as is the one pulling the other red tilt in Rowena’s “fleet”.

[zb]
anorak:

robthedog:

I remember that discussion. Can’t work out whether those are my words, or the other fella (whose username also escapes me)! Whatever- we both learned a bit of interesting history, if I remember it correctly.

The first Ergo you posted, with the decoration on the front and a red tilt behind it, is a home-brew one, I think, as is the one pulling the other red tilt in Rowena’s “fleet”.

Member ERF

robthedog:

[zb]
anorak:

robthedog:

Member ERF

‘ERF’, who used to post on here, was a very knowledgable and reliable source of information.

As for the Ergo sleeper cabs: perhaps the Leyland ones were the factory ones (see the brochure I posted above) and the AECs were conversions.

ERF-NGC-European:

robthedog:

[zb]
anorak:

robthedog:

Member ERF

‘ERF’, who used to post on here, was a very knowledgable and reliable source of information.

As for the Ergo sleeper cabs: perhaps the Leyland ones were the factory ones (see the brochure I posted above) and the AECs were conversions.

That sounds about right but i think i’ve seen a Mandator or Mammoth Major photographed new at Southall with a sleeper cab …
. ERF is the bloke who stopped posting on here , he spent quite a few years restoring a V8 , Graham had the good fortune of seeing it and said it was stunning

The early pioneer AEC above is reportedly a v8 mandator,hence the intake is just extended up from the normal position behind the front wheelarch.

Steve

ramone:
That sounds about right but i think i’ve seen a Mandator or Mammoth Major photographed new at Southall with a sleeper cab …
. ERF is the bloke who stopped posting on here , he spent quite a few years restoring a V8 , Graham had the good fortune of seeing it and said it was stunning

The AEC V8 thread has a good few “factory” sleepers on it, plus lots of Sparshatts high-roof conversions. I think the latter conversion was a 6 cylinder job, initially. No way would 2 bunks fit above the ordinary Ergo engine hump.

SD

Sleep tight ! NMP off FB

FB_IMG_1635944216918.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
Those Ergo sleeper cabs for Leylands/AECs weren’t as rare as you may think, especially in LHD; and they weren’t home brew, as they were factory built.

i seriously cant believe some of those options , a fully reclining passenger seat with a vibrating pad, in 1968 !!! , rear window blind ,on a leyland of all things crikey word fail me .

tony