Holidays

If one was to drive,while on holidays from ones normal employment,is there a provision or exclusion from doing so?
For example,if one was to cover another drivers holiday break,would this be legal?Presuning all daily/weekly rest periods etc were adhered to?
The reason I ask is I have been asked to cover an owner driver friend of mines holidays this year,while on my own summer holidays.

whiplash:
If one was to drive,while on holidays from ones normal employment,is there a provision or exclusion from doing so?
For example,if one was to cover another drivers holiday break,would this be legal?Presuning all daily/weekly rest periods etc were adhered to?
The reason I ask is I have been asked to cover an owner driver friend of mines holidays this year,while on my own summer holidays.

You can legally work for someone else or a different company in your holidays if you want to as long as your employer is told what hours you work so they can track your working time for the RT(WT)R.
You should also be aware that working in your holidays does not in any way exclude you from all the drivers hours regulations or the RT(WT)R 48 hour average week, so if the holiday work is likely to impact on that your employer would have every right to protest.
I don’t know where you would stand legally if your employer did complain that your holiday work would impact on your normal working time (48 hour average working week) in such a way that you wouldn’t be able to carry out your usual duties so if it’s likely to be an issue I’d look into that first :wink:

Have done,tentatively tacho,and I was told “theyd rather I didnt”.
However,on an average week,Id rarely see 40 hours worked,let alone driven,so,taken over the course of the year,an average of 8 hrs short per week,by say 50 weeks, would in my estimation leave me with 400 hours or thereabouts to play with. Dont want to fall foul of anyone,I do want to keep my employers onside,plus keep my buddy sorted also.Plus the fact of the trip away,nice for a change.
Thanks for your guidance.

Not that it seems like it would make any difference but the 48 hour average week is calculated over the reference period which is usually 17 or 26 weeks, it’s not calculated over the year :wink:

It’s a difficult decision for you to make being stuck between pleasing your boss and doing what you want to do, as it doesn’t seem likely that it will affect your usual work in any way I fail to see why your boss should object.

You could point out that a change is often as good as a rest and if that doesn’t work … do it and keep quiet about it, unless you’re on a digital tachograph of course :wink: