Holding back and making progress

ok i think i understand the difference on this one but i see alot of peeps are having the same problem when it comes to testing so i thought i would get some opinions on this one. when is it safe to overtake?

on my test i was marked down for not gaining enough speed on a dule carrigeway as a car had come up my inside on the exit of a roundabout, the examiner said that i should have gained more speed sooner and pulled back in, but i had held back as he shot up my inside.

this happened in about 200 meters and i was doing just under 30 when he had passed, i pulled back in to the left hand lane and continued with my drive. i would love any advice on when to overtake and when to hold back, as next time i want to avoid any minors if possible!

I reckon it is all to do with confidence. If you have come off a roundabout, and a car is as you say inside of you, no doubt the car dithered, no doubt you did too. You are the professional driver, the car driver is probably going to the hairdressers.

When I did my driver training, you were expected to gain maximum speed as quickly as you could, you were not encouraged to slow down to allow for traffic lights to change.

In my mind an examiner is not looking for perfection, he is looking for a driver who can read situations and be safe.

Im getting used to being slated by being outspoken, but I believe the problem lies in the fact that there are too many driving instructors who were good drivers but cannot teach, rather than good teachers or tutors who can drive a lorry.

my instructor said i needed to speed up, like i would in my car when moving away from junctions, and slow down just before them, but i found that i lost concentration on my observation because i was watching the speedo!

lokey:
my instructor said i needed to speed up, like i would in my car when moving away from junctions, and slow down just before them, but i found that i lost concentration on my observation because i was watching the speedo!

As long as you are not over the speed limit. there should be no need to look at the speedo
You are expected to use your perception (feel) of speed on the approach - I’m sure you know that you are going too quick in your car for a situation without looking at the speedo - yes :question: :question:

Wheel Nut:
Im getting used to being slated by being outspoken, but I believe the problem lies in the fact that there are too many driving instructors who were good drivers but cannot teach, rather than good teachers or tutors who can drive a lorry.

BANG :exclamation: :exclamation:
Hit one of the nails on the head first time :smiley: :smiley:

IMO there are 2 nails: -
1 - Instructors who can teach to pass a test (DSA) and those who teach driving (Beyond DSA).
2 - Trainees who cannot drive properly in the first place.

The problem with no.2 is that it is almost impossible to teach someone HOW to drive properly in under 20 hours if they have multiple general driving faults - the instructor is lucky to get them somewhere near DSA standard :exclamation:

How do you change the THINKING aspect of a person in a week :question:

The solution to number 2 is to have the prospective trainee practice safe driving in their current vehicle for a few months prior to their training and to ask for an independant honest view on their current driving. This could be done by having a FREE assessment by one of the driving charity organisations or by an experienced LGV driver.
The trainee MUST be open to critisism otherwise they are wasting their time and that of the person assessing them.

Well, thats my view - anyone got any other SOLUTIONS :question: :question: :question:

Hi Guys,

I am not stalking you ROG/Wheel nut…honestly!

But this seems like a similar situation that i had on my test,ie…What do i do? ie Would being less hesitant and more decisive on test reap a better result in these type of situations? What i am trying to say is can you be too cautious or on the other hand over confident? Where is the common ground here that can get you through the test without filling your pants on every situation like this that comes up? :confused:

jmcg73:
Hi Guys,

I am not stalking you ROG/Wheel nut…honestly!

But this seems like a similar situation that i had on my test,ie…What do i do? ie Would being less hesitant and more decisive on test reap a better result in these type of situations? What i am trying to say is can you be too cautious or on the other hand over confident? Where is the common ground here that can get you through the test without filling your pants on every situation like this that comes up? :confused:

I am sure you can also be too cautious too, it is a case of you are damned if you do and damned if you dont.

I dont think it helps to just quote pieces of text verbatim, but I will here.

1.Preamble

To drive safely, drivers of all power-driven vehicles must have the knowledge, skill and behaviour to be able to:

-recognize traffic dangers and assess their seriousness,

-have sufficient command of their vehicle not to create dangerous situations and to react appropriately should such situations occur,

-comply with road traffic regulations, and in particular those intended to prevent road accidents and to maintain the flow of traffic,

-detect any major technical faults in their vehicles, in particular those posing a safety hazard, and have them remedied in an appropriate fashion,

-take account of all the factors affecting driving behaviour (e.g. alcohol, fatigue, poor eyesight, etc.) so as to retain full use of the faculties needed to drive safely,

-help ensure the safety of all road users, and in particular of the weakest and most exposed by showing due respect for others.

That was a direct quote from a document I was looking at earlier. It is the same document as the examiner might have in his folder to remind him what he is looking for on test.

Probably Rog said it all when he said go and practice in the car for a few weeks or months before taking a test.

Your job at Walon pulling cars, maybe doesnt do much for the mirror signal manoevre, but you will probably never crash a new car into another one :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you ask the instructor about his thoughts about your DR10?

No in all honesty i did’nt ask him about that at all, because he was a car instructor and not too well up on ■■■■■■ up wannabe LGV test candidates!,but maybe for my own peace of mind and i know your right about examiners not giving a flying about the dr10 but i might just wait till its wiped as i feel i would gain a psychological lift if i retake with a clean ticket…plus it gives me time to save up plenty of back up funds should the worst happen so even having a financial cushion on test day can i am sure take some of the pressure off,and this course cleared me out so it was either pass or hang…now where did i put that rope■■? :confused:

About that Walon thing, i never bash into any of the new cars :unamused: ,And there is one good thing about my job (and it aint the money!)i am sh*t hot at reversing transporters when i get a nice driver that will let me play! …do you think they will let me do the C+E first■■? :bulb:

jmcg73:
About that Walon thing, i never bash into any of the new cars :unamused: ,And there is one good thing about my job (and it aint the money!)i am sh*t hot at reversing transporters when i get a nice driver that will let me play! …do you think they will let me do the C+E first■■? :bulb:

No, you got me wrong again :stuck_out_tongue: I meant you will be inch perfect with the Walon job with one hand on the wheel and 30mph backwards.

It might not be quite what the examiner will be impressed with, but I was :smiley: