HMRC Tax deductible

I did a webinar yesterday on some basic skills re setting up as self employed and associated subjects.

I asked a question whether or not the cost of training for new qualifications (licence categories) could be claimed as a business expense, the answer was simply no.

I clarified this in relation to the DCPC and was told if it was a new driver going for new qualification then no. If it was a refresher then yes.

Discuss…

I claimed for my driver’s CPC and my Operator’s CPC and HMRC paid up with no problem.

Thats interesting was this recently?

Summer 2012.

Just claim for everything you can think of, if it’s not allowable then they’ll soon let you know. It’s not an offence to claim something.

Sounds like it depends on which officer reviews your accounts and whether they got their leg over.

stevo101:
I did a webinar yesterday on some basic skills re setting up as self employed and associated subjects.

I asked a question whether or not the cost of training for new qualifications (licence categories) could be claimed as a business expense, the answer was simply no.

I clarified this in relation to the DCPC and was told if it was a new driver going for new qualification then no. If it was a refresher then yes.

Discuss…

Well the training should be refunded, He hasn’t got a clue. Training/career advancement of any sort is tax deductable. PAYE, Self employed, or Ltd company.
Tools of the trade are tax deductable. For a plumber or mechanic it’s spanners, for us it’s passports, DCPC, ADR, Licence renewal, Driving lessons and tests.
It would be nice if you could ask him one more question, "Are accountancy fees tax deductable?
There is no simple answer to that one. :wink:

limeyphil:
Well the training should be refunded, He hasn’t got a clue. Training/career advancement of any sort is tax deductable. PAYE, Self employed, or Ltd company.
Tools of the trade are tax deductable. For a plumber or mechanic it’s spanners, for us it’s passports, DCPC, ADR, Licence renewal, Driving lessons and tests.

Is the right answer.

Funny enough he did say that the accountancy fees would be included! LOL

Wow huge grey area not getting any clearer then!

Harry Monk:

limeyphil:

Is the right answer.

Yep, I’ll go along with that. It seems whoever the OP was talking to is a little confused.

Paul

How does the webinar thing work ? Can someone post a link please.

Can a employed driver claim back a medical fee ? , or can i claim it back for him if he works for me ?

Re the webinar. hmrc.gov.uk/webinars/index.htm

limeyphil:

stevo101:

Discuss…

It would be nice if you could ask him one more question, "Are accountancy fees tax deductable?

Can I claim for my ADR that I did in Feb 2012 or have I left it too late?

*edit to add, I’m PAYE

I claimed for all my annual CPC courses, Medicals, licence changes, new DIGI cards etc and have never had it queried.

I’m just about to ADR course and will be claiming for that, and for any costs associated with it.

Harry Monk:
I claimed for my driver’s CPC and my Operator’s CPC and HMRC paid up with no problem.

How exactly did you claim and how did HMRC ‘pay up’.I am only now about to pay HMRC a balancing payment for the tax year 2011/12

You are an employee of a limited company so things may be different.

I was told that training was not tax deductible by my accountant many years ago but I still paid for it through the business.Do not assume that because you pay for things through your business account that your accountant is automatically always claiming off HMRC.
Sometimes accountants put things through the books that maybe they shouldn’t and you may get away with it for years until you are called in for an inspection.It will be you that ends up paying, not the accountant.

waynedl:

limeyphil:

stevo101:

Discuss…

Can I claim for my ADR that I did in Feb 2012 or have I left it too late?

*edit to add, I’m PAYE

Yes, You’ve plenty of time. six years to be exact. You’ll need form P87 and the booklet that goes with it.
When you get it give me a shout, there’s a few things to tell you that’ll make it much easier.
and don’t worry about reciepts. it’s self cert.

Clearly before I committed in funding this, I spoke to my accountant. But I am paying for my step son to do his full HGV from scratch, and he will be subbying for me as S/E as opposed to employed by me to avoid the governments 28% tax con for PAYE and my NI employees contribution, and its not a problem.

Maybe the OP needs to speak to a GOOD accountant as opposed to HMRC.

Would I be eligible to claim my C and C+E courses and tests (and dcpc, digicard etc) by using the P87 form? I’m also PAYE

Thanks

Tazbug

Tazbug:
Would I be eligible to claim my C and C+E courses and tests (and dcpc, digicard etc) by using the P87 form? I’m also PAYE

Thanks

Tazbug

Are you PAYE agency or PAYE employed by an employer in a full time capacity? … please elaborate

ironstipper:
Clearly before I committed in funding this, I spoke to my accountant. But I am paying for my step son to do his full HGV from scratch, and he will be subbying for me as S/E as opposed to employed by me to avoid the governments 28% tax con for PAYE and my NI employees contribution, and its not a problem.

Maybe the OP needs to speak to a GOOD accountant as opposed to HMRC.

I am not certain to the true answer to this question being neither an accountant or a HMRC tax inspector.

One thing I am sure of is that accountants do NOT tell HMRC what the rules are and if your “GOOD” accountant is letting YOU claim for something that he shouldn’t then he is more than likely hiding it as something else and hoping that your books never get inspected.