hiya

hi you lot, great site really helpful. the diaries are a great read (coffee rob k truckyboy etc) i still crack up at liberace stuck in a field with all them women laughing at him!!! anyway just a quick question coz i have just got back on the road after 4 years working as a forkie (the wife wanted me off the road because i was away all week) can someone tell me what mode i switch the tacho on whilst driving because i am not sure, some drivers are saying crossed hammers and some are saying crossed box!!! like i said great site and thanks in advance for any replies.

I use the box.

The cross-hammers are now supposed to be used for driving and other work, and the box is for the dreaded periods of availability. Welcome to the site btw Axlestand
Regards
Trev

Ahh yes sorry…Welcome axlestand.

Maybe I should stop using the box and use the cross hammers, this job I’m doing doesn’t have any POA though it’s all driving, other work and break.

thx for the speedy response guys, but can you see what i mean 2 different replies,■■?

Don`t worry Andy - I still use the box sometimes when I go into forgetful mode :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Regards
Trev

welcome to trucknet axlestand

crossed hammers = driving and other work ( ie loading/unloading)

square box = period of availability (poa)

bed = rest

thx a lot for your help guys at least i know what im doing now, cheers

I used to use the box when I was driving but I believe the rules were changed so the cross hammers are now used.

kitkat:
welcome to trucknet axlestand

crossed hammers = driving and other work ( ie loading/unloading)

square box = period of availability (poa)

bed = rest

I concur with the above Axlestand, and without wishing to be nosy, but here goes anyway, does the wife not want you under her feet now :unamused: , or should i mind my own business. :blush: Dont feel obligated to reply to this :slight_smile:

lol eddie, i was working nights and after 4 years i had enough plus i was always itching to get back on the road, so now the milkman,postman will be smiling again now im back on nights out lol.

so now the milkman,postman will be smiling again now im back on nights out lol.

But is the wife smiling again :question: :laughing: :laughing:

kitkat she is like the proverbial chesire cat, well then again having me hanging around her for 4 years i dont blame her

axlestand:
lol eddie, i was working nights and after 4 years i had enough plus i was always itching to get back on the road, so now the milkman,postman will be smiling again now im back on nights out lol.

Mrs Snax says you forgot the window cleaner :open_mouth:, and as i do 4 nights out most weeks should i be worried :laughing:

Most tachos record Driving as Driving regardless of the mode switch.

Yes there are a few old ones still about with four positions, but you’d need to go back about 15 years or more to find one.

Three position tachos are Automatic, in that once ‘motion’ is sensed, then regardless of the switch position, “Driving” is recorded.

Welcome to TruckNet UK Axlestand :smiley: .

I agree Krankee that the tacho will sense motion and will record driving time even if the rest mode is used (ie, the bed symbol) but would like to inform everyone that the Ministry take a very dim view of leaving the tacho in that mode, as they cannot distinguish between rest periods and other work. I once had a verbal warning for this and was lucky the guy was in a good mood or I could have been charged, possibly for falsifying records
Regards
Trev

Welcome to Trucknet Axlestand :smiley:

I used cross hammers today, I guess I’ll have to try and stick to that now.

Hmmm…

Just read this page…

dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d … P444_51277

…which suggests that you only need to use the two symbols to record either other work or PoA if the tachograph is the only record being kept. So if you are filling in seperate timesheets detailing your PoA/other work/driving, then you don’t need to worry.

Or have I read that wrong?