Hitchhiker

Stopped at Rivington services last night for a quick toilet break, guy comes up asks what way im going I say back to Scotland. Any chance of a lift, I explained to him politely that its against company policy his reply “well that’s a [zb] lonely existence”
I was going to explain to him i’m not the one at a services in the middle of the night looking for a lift but I thought It would be lost on him so I just agreed.
Anyone give lifts to hitchhikers ?

I have stopped for people carrying trade plates and would help if carrying a crash helmet,drivers helped me in the past when I had a bike.

My dad has given trade platers lifts on numerous occasions over the years, I’m too paranoid :laughing:
His current job wouldn’t allow it but he likes the company and hearing the guys story’s for some reason.

Armed forces also get a lift from me too.

mjallby:
Anyone give lifts to hitchhikers ?

I would love to as iv’e hitchhiked but it’s against company policy and i don’t fancy risking it.

I don’t see many these days but I’ve never had a problem picking them up if they look tidy enough. Couple of years ago I pulled into services on the M1 north at about 0200. The place was full of Sunderland fans heading back from a game when their coach caught fire, no replacement until 8am at the earliest. I ended up taking 4 of them back to Washington, 1 in the seat & 3 on the bed. They offered cash but I refused. Unlike the national coach driver who stood in the middle of the McD selling the spare seats on his coach for a tenner, no ticket & straight in the back pocket.

Trader platers no problem if standing in sensible place.
As for others slackbladder says depends on what they look like.

Used to do a lot of hitchin years ago & never ever got lift of a trade plater,I asked a few but they just fobbed me
off with a feeble excuse.
In turn I can say I have never ever given a lift to a trade plater & never will.
Peevish ? Maybe so. :smiley:
Got no problem giving lifts to squaddies,but have become careful who I stop for these days
You could be picking up any sort of nutter !

I used to work with a Jehova’s Witness TM who commuted 40mls each way daily & would regularly pick up hitchhikers as he was joining the Mway.

If talking . . . sorry, being talked at non stop for 80mls with a Jehova doesn’t put them off then nothing will.

Never picked anyone up, although most I see are scruffy [zb]

When I was gainfully employed I made a rule that I would only pick up service personnel, drivers with tacho cards (log books in the good old days!) and fit-looking females.

Many years ago at Birch services woman offered a good time with her and her Daughter, Daughter (looked about 16 :open_mouth: )…for a lift back to Leeds… I may have been young, but not stupid or desperat :smiley:

not anymore,i gave a couple of tradeplaters a lift once cos they were 4 miles from anywhere,the first one was ok but his mate started asking if he could use the cab phone,even though i said no as the calls are traced,he kept on for about 10 min about how it would be a quick call,yeah right heard that one before,glad to see the back of him

Chas:
I used to work with a Jehova’s Witness TM who commuted 40mls each way daily & would regularly pick up hitchhikers as he was joining the Mway.

If talking . . . sorry, being talked at non stop for 80mls with a Jehova doesn’t put them off then nothing will.

Noah lived to be 950yrs old yknow........... and armageddons upon us next wednesday… about 3pm. :wink:

I pulled into Baldock services one night at around 2am. Parked in the furthest corner so’s not to wake anyone up & also so’s I wouldn’t be woken at 6.30am when they all fire up for their next working day. Besides that, I was working on recycling & the load ‘STUNK’ so bad it always made sense to park with the cab upwind.

I saw her as soon as I drove in, slightly on the plump side yet still quite attractive. Sheltering from the drizzle in the bus shelter type thing that housed the parking ticket machines. She left it 5mins before she approached me & I’ll never forget her eastern european accent. She wanted a lift to Liverpool & her body language, combined with my finely honed 6th sense, told me that she knew exactly how to pay for it.

I politely declined. I was as knackered as I am happily married thank you !

At that awkward moment, a driver pulled in & parked for a flying ■■■■ stop. As she wombled over to him I couldn’t help thinking “if only”.

I watched from 100yds as she worked her feminine magic on him, then watched as the driver helped her into his passenger seat.

The way he looked around, as if to see if anyone was watching, worried me, worried me deeply for very many days after.

Thumbed one lift in all my 44 years, got picked up by the bloody Jesus Army, put me off giving or taking lifts for life

of course
but hate being fobbed off with rubbish
when… no I don’t give lifts would do…

I give lifts to any hitcher who looks purposeful
as long as they aint got dogs

I picked up a young lad in my car once. Tidy fella, been married to my daughter for 28 years now!

Did anyone see the hitchhiker in Leicester Forest East this morning? Several drivers were having a laugh by slowing down to pick him up, cue him running, then they sped off.
Made me chuckle anyway. :blush: :laughing:

Chas:
I pulled into Baldock services one night at around 2am. Parked in the furthest corner so’s not to wake anyone up & also so’s I wouldn’t be woken at 6.30am when they all fire up for their next working day. Besides that, I was working on recycling & the load ‘STUNK’ so bad it always made sense to park with the cab upwind.

I saw her as soon as I drove in, slightly on the plump side yet still quite attractive. Sheltering from the drizzle in the bus shelter type thing that housed the parking ticket machines. She left it 5mins before she approached me & I’ll never forget her eastern european accent. She wanted a lift to Liverpool & her body language, combined with my finely honed 6th sense, told me that she knew exactly how to pay for it.

I politely declined. I was as knackered as I am happily married thank you !

At that awkward moment, a driver pulled in & parked for a flying ■■■■ stop. As she wombled over to him I couldn’t help thinking “if only”.

I watched from 100yds as she worked her feminine magic on him, then watched as the driver helped her into his passenger seat.

The way he looked around, as if to see if anyone was watching, worried me, worried me deeply for very many days after.

…AND…■■?..ive gotten all excited and twitchy now…could you at least make something up to finish off the story,and me?? :wink: