Hiring for private use

Hiya

I’ve had a brief look around the web but I’m probably missing something here.

I’m looking for a way to hire an LGV for a week to 10 days for a journey out to Europe, possibly with an 18 or 26 ton box truck. However, I don’t have an operators licence. This is voluntary work for me, I wouldn’t get paid for my time but I guess the fuel and hire will be covered.

Am I onto a loser here already? The few vehicle-hire sites I’ve looked at have said I need an O licence, which clearly I don’t and won’t have.

I don’t think it would be viable for a company to do it as it’s going to be about 2000 miles one way but then parked up for the week before the return journey…

Unless you can find a small independent type hire place that’s willing to be flexible all the bigger outfits will want sight of o-licence. You’ll also most likely have to sort your own insurance in the 7.5t+ self-drive hire market which also might be problematic as a private individual.

Edit: would add that some might be prepared to sort something if it’s for charity.

Yes I think you’re on a looser with this. Its unlikely that any hire company would let you have a 18 or 26t without an O licence and insurance, which, in turn will be tied to having an O licence.

Having said this you could ask a company to sponsor you if its a charity thing - aid, etc.

There are alot of companies, including my own, who do work which is spread-over a couple of weeks or more. It may be worth asking around. Its a simple exercise of costing in flights and parking into the whole job.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Thanks for your help Plambert :wink: I will bear that in mind too. Where abouts are you based? We’re in the Midlands

Your problems won’t end if you do find a hire company prepared to rent you a truck, in Europe, as in the UK, private use only coveres up to 7.5 ton gross so you will need an ‘International Authorisation’ to take a truck into Europe.

Please beware & do some checking up!!

Ross.

Saratoga:
Thanks for your help Plambert :wink: I will bear that in mind too. Where abouts are you based? We’re in the Midlands

We’re based north of Oxford.

Cheers

Paul

Have been trying to remember what they were called but this charity does convoy runs across Europe
hopeandaiddirect.org.uk/page5.html

The two Iveco units and stepframe trailers are owned by them/were donated by Ford (ex-parts distribution). They take these and hire a load of self-drive 7.5tonners and drive a convoy to Kosovo. I know they certainly didn’t used to have an o-licence so if what you’re interested in doing is of a similar charitable nature they might be happy to share some insight into how they operate. I wouldn’t be surprised if the insurance cover wasn’t donated as pretty much everything like maintenance was done as a donation, I think, by various large companies. So it is all doable if it’s a charity thing but I think it was a lot of work for the organisers keeping the show on the road.