Hiring a 7.5 tonner

If my company (that I work for) were to hire a 7.5 mgw tonne wagon, would they be breaking any laws. The vehicle would be used to deliver goods from their premises to a customer in Wales
As I see it they would,
1st would they need an operators licence, as the vehicle is being used for commercial purposes
2nd would the hire company be breaking any laws by knowingly hiring said vehicle to the company I work for?

My Manager reckons not, I mentioned the use of tacho’s to him and he gave me a blank look. But he was adament the hire company had told him it would be OK, and tacho’s would not be required, and if the vehicle was stopped, then he reckoned the onus would be on the hire company, for hiring out to the company in the first place!!
Plus he wanted my driving licence to take around to them (they are next door to us) as he was wanting me to drive the vehicle. (I told him I had forgotten to pick up my wallet!!)
I am happy to take the works van, if it is not over weight, I have made that clear, but this customer has put in a bigger order, hence the 7.5 tonner.
Basically I have said I will not drive unless the above points are clarified, to my satisfaction. It would appear no action has been taken to date so it looks like I will put in a position whereby I will need to refuse to drive the vehicle. I do have an HGV licence anyway (so am aware of drivers hours, unless they have changed) but have not been involved in the transport side for about 8 - 9 years now.
I would be grateful for any clarification you could give me (Maybe even pass on to my manager, although I don’t think I would be popular)

JGC:
If my company (that I work for) were to hire a 7.5 mgw tonne wagon, would they be breaking any laws. The vehicle would be used to deliver goods from their premises to a customer in Wales
As I see it they would,
1st would they need an operators licence, as the vehicle is being used for commercial purposes
2nd would the hire company be breaking any laws by knowingly hiring said vehicle to the company I work for?

My Manager reckons not, I mentioned the use of tacho’s to him and he gave me a blank look. But he was adament the hire company had told him it would be OK, and tacho’s would not be required, and if the vehicle was stopped, then he reckoned the onus would be on the hire company, for hiring out to the company in the first place!!
Plus he wanted my driving licence to take around to them (they are next door to us) as he was wanting me to drive the vehicle. (I told him I had forgotten to pick up my wallet!!)
I am happy to take the works van, if it is not over weight, I have made that clear, but this customer has put in a bigger order, hence the 7.5 tonner.
Basically I have said I will not drive unless the above points are clarified, to my satisfaction. It would appear no action has been taken to date so it looks like I will put in a position whereby I will need to refuse to drive the vehicle. I do have an HGV licence anyway (so am aware of drivers hours, unless they have changed) but have not been involved in the transport side for about 8 - 9 years now.
I would be grateful for any clarification you could give me (Maybe even pass on to my manager, although I don’t think I would be popular)

Most if not all rental companies will not hire a vehicle without proof of O license as renting without an O licence can lead to having the vehicle confiscated.

Most if not all rental companies will not hire a vehicle without proof of O license as renting without an O licence can lead to having the vehicle confiscated.

Tis the truth^^

Our lot had to submit our O license to Ryder for the wagon i have now before they took it out , futher more we then have to add it to our O license after 30day’s/1 month of hire

JGC:
As I see it they would,

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome JGC :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

There are a lot of National CPC holders on this site and I’m sure one of them could give you a definitive answer to your query :smiley:

As you are carrying ‘own goods’ a restricted operators licence will suffice - but your company will definately require one, and i suggest that you do not drive the vehicle until one is in place.

If say you were moving house for yourself then you could hire a 7.5 tonner, and drive it for that purpose, but anything that is ‘hire and reward’ such as you are asking comes under the scope of the operating licence regime.

Information can be found on the VOSA site www.vosa.gov.uk as well as application forms for the licence.

Thanks for the replies, I cannot see the directors wanting to apply for any form of O license, as the 7.5 tonner would not be a regular vehicle to use/hire.
If the situation does arise, then they will have to find someone else to drive it (I Value my licence, which still has null points on it)
I will point my bosses in the direction of the VOSA site.
As an aside, I am seeking another job away from this company, possibly a return to HGV driving, but will wait until I have had my medical which is due this year.

JGC:
Thanks for the replies, I cannot see the directors wanting to apply for any form of O license, as the 7.5 tonner would not be a regular vehicle to use/hire.

They could put it under the unbrella of another companies O licence - I think - not the expert on this…

No, Rog, VOSA take a dim view of using someone elses licence.

Smart Mart:
No, Rog, VOSA take a dim view of using someone elses licence.

Ah - was not sure as this is not my field of expertise - thanks :slight_smile: