Hire and reward

I know what you think of horse box driver’s!!!
I’ve had class 1 for nearly 20 years. If I’m driving at work I do not need a Tacho as its utility vehicle and within 50k. For that reason I admit I do not have any experience with tachos.
I have a 18t horsebox again private use no Tacho. I never drive long than 4hrs in on stint.
Question is. If I was to drive a horsebox for a friend which is being used to transport horse from auction, it falls under hire and reward, but if i wasn’t being paid would I need to run on a Tacho.
I have not done it yet because I believe i would have to run on a Tacho, and do not want the hassle.

Lookingforadvice:
I know what you think of horse box driver’s!!!
I’ve had class 1 for nearly 20 years. If I’m driving at work I do not need a Tacho as its utility vehicle and within 50k. For that reason I admit I do not have any experience with tachos.
I have a 18t horsebox again private use no Tacho. I never drive long than 4hrs in on stint.
Question is. If I was to drive a horsebox for a friend which is being used to transport horse from auction, it falls under hire and reward, but if i wasn’t being paid would I need to run on a Tacho.
I have not done it yet because I believe i would have to run on a Tacho, and do not want the hassle.

If your horsebox is less than 25 years old then you are in scope of the EU regulations, so card in, 28 days worth if records and sticking to the rest periods, so you couldn’t drive it sat and sun if you’re working Mon - Fri.

If it’s over 25 years old then you’re not in scope, if you’re moving a horse for a friend and only getting money to cover the fuel then that doesn’t change anything so long as it’s not in connection with a business, it’s irrelevant if it’s yours or theirs

Lookingforadvice:
If I’m driving at work I do not need a Tacho as its utility vehicle and within 50k. .

I can’t see any such exemption that you refer to.
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … erogations#exemptions-and-derogations

(Expand 1.1 exemptions)

stu675:

Lookingforadvice:
If I’m driving at work I do not need a Tacho as its utility vehicle and within 50k. .

(Expand 1.1 exemptions)

There’s about 4 potential that would fit the bill towards the end of the list

stevieboy308:

stu675:

Lookingforadvice:

(Expand 1.1 exemptions)

You’ll need to quote them, because I can’t find any exemption for a goods vehicle over 7.5T used as a personal horsebox other than farm to market or market to slaughterhouse.
(Other than the 25 yr old that you referred to but not the op).

stu675:

stevieboy308:

stu675:

Lookingforadvice:

(Expand 1.1 exemptions)

You’ll need to quote them, because I can’t find any exemption for a goods vehicle over 7.5T used as a personal horsebox other than farm to market or market to slaughterhouse.
(Other than the 25 yr old that you referred to but not the op).

Well you cropped the quote to just the working in utilities and not needing a tacho, then said you can’t find that exemption. So that’s what I was replying to.

Yes personal use is limited to 7.5t unless the vehicle is over 25 years old

Appreciate the replies. To clarify, my 18t box is for taking my kids to competitions. It has full living and can stall 5 horses. We are not professionals at most they win a rosette! The trucks less than 10 years old and just recently when it came back from plating, it came with a certificate as to why the Tacho doesn’t need calibration.
The truck I’ve been asked to drive as a favour is basically a straight livestock carrier, belonging to someone else . I would take it to market they would buy/sell, I would not be paid. Should I use a Tacho for this?

Lookingforadvice:
Appreciate the replies. To clarify, my 18t box is for taking my kids to competitions. It has full living and can stall 5 horses. We are not professionals at most they win a rosette! The trucks less than 10 years old and just recently when it came back from plating, it came with a certificate as to why the Tacho doesn’t need calibration.
The truck I’ve been asked to drive as a favour is basically a straight livestock carrier, belonging to someone else . I would take it to market they would buy/sell, I would not be paid. Should I use a Tacho for this?

As your truck has a gross over 7.5t and is under 25 years old, then you’re in scope of the EU regulations even though it’s only used for personal use. That means tacho in, records of your work and rest for the previous 28 days, you must comply with all the limits and rest periods, so you can’t drive it on sat and sun after working Mon - Fri in any other job regardless if it’s driving or not as you won’t be compliant with the weekly rest requirements. Basically you could drive it 1 weekend day every other week.

Same goes for driving your mates truck, if it’s not in connection with commercial activity and less than 7.5t gross or over 25 years old, then you can treat it like a van, no tacho required as you’re not in scope of the EU regulations, over 7.5t and under 25 years old then in scope of the EU regulations for none commercial use, you not getting paid doesn’t make it none commercial if it’s a commercial activity. If it is a commercial activity then you’re in scope for vehicles over 3.5t gross

Although if it is a commercial activity then depending upon the nature of the business it may meet the criteria if a derogation from the EU regulations and instead come under GB domestic

Thanks.
To the point and simplified.
Stay safe.

stevieboy308:
As your truck has a gross over 7.5t and is under 25 years old, then you’re in scope of the EU regulations even though it’s only used for personal use. That means tacho in, records of your work and rest for the previous 28 days, you must comply with all the limits and rest periods, so you can’t drive it on sat and sun after working Mon - Fri in any other job regardless if it’s driving or not as you won’t be compliant with the weekly rest requirements. Basically you could drive it 1 weekend day every other week.

Indeed, being stopped by the DVSA without a card in, would result in tea and biscuits with the Traffic Commissioner, in all likelihood. The important point is having a maximum permissible mass over 7.5 tonnes. I believe the Traffic Commissioner that was on here a while back confirmed as much once.

Regarding keeping records, I think it depends how frequent the driving is. I know some very occasional on-road drivers would not have to have a complete record, as long as the driving meets certain criteria. This criteria may not be published, so best to check with the DVSA if unsure.