Hints and Tips provided by TruckNetUK Contributors

Many months ago we had a thread entitled “Hints and Tips for New Drivers”.

I have taken a number of posts from that, and other topics to consolidate them here in no particular order.

This thread will be updated as I identify useful material.

Whenever I go to a new site for the first time I always ask for the ‘Idiot’s Guide’ as I’ve never been there before. Also if any instructions or directions are unclear I ask again. All this is done with a smile on my face.

Never never ever arrive at a site with a negative attitude. Nothing is easier to pick up and it’s surprising how people react to such an attitude.
Above all as has been said above ASK
Good Luck
Ted

OK, here’s my little contribution.

Some hints on reversing

The most difficult part of being an articulated lorry driver is reversing. Reversing is “the skill, the art, the craft”.
It’s what we are paid for!

It does take some practice. I’ve been practising for 16 years, and I’m starting to get the hang of it now :smiley::D:D

Firstly (easy one, this) make sure your mirrors are crystal-clean. And your near-side window. Kitchen-towel, bit of Fairy Liquid, bit of water works wonders.

The most important part of a reversing manoeuvre comes before you select reverse gear. Think about what you are going to do, and how best do it. Don’t charge forward, thinking “I’ll see where I end up and take it from there”. Have your whole move planned in advance.

For example, what’s the point of doing a difficult blind-side reverse when there’s a roundabout 100 yards up the road? Go, turn round and do it on your good side.

In your first manoeuvre, make sure you get a good “kink” on your truck. If you aren’t kinked the right way, then you ain’t going nowhere!

Take it slowly, get out and look if you aren’t 100% sure. Ask another driver to watch you back. No-one will mind. On the contrary, any driver will be pleased to help.

Above all, try not to feel pressurised. No lorry driver will ever laugh at you if you make a pigs-ear of it. The fork-lift driver may. Gently suggest that he does it for you… That should shut him RIGHT up!!!

Keep practising, and keep learning.

Another good tip for you new guys.
If you have to deliver to a construction site, don’t be pushed into going somewhere you might get bogged in. If you get stuck in mud, yes they will tow you out with a digger or crane. But you will probably end up with damage to the front of the vehicle, and your boss will not be too happy. If in doubt let them come to you. Refuse to tip in a boggy area, they will take it off it’s just more work for them to handle it twice.
Or if they insist then ring the boss for advice.

A small but important point: When driving along country lanes, especially when loaded DO NOT pull off onto the grass or verge to allow a vehicle coming from the opposite direction to pass. Stop by all means but stay on the black stuff, the green or brown stuff can be very soft and a big trap for heavy trucks. It may even turn you over.
Take your time

Always listen to your transport manager, but don’t necessarily believe him
If he says you can do the trip in 3hrs. Allow yourself 4
If he says “they will be waiting for you to help tip it” They won’t
If he phones you when you are running back to the yard and starts the conversation with…“Can you just…” You MUST reply with “Sorry bad reception, will talk to you when I get back” (its the law)

BEWARE OF MANHOLES…if the road is in the pre-tarmac stage, chances are that there will be no manhole covers & if you drop a wheel into one of those then you’re looking at BIG damage.

Don’t leave your mobile phone in your top shirt pocket when you get out of the cab
In fact, don’t leave anything in your top pocket - pen, cigarette packet etc.
This is from the “Do as I say, don’t do as I do” department. I sometimes drive tankers. The other day I climbed up to check how full the tank was. Lid open, bend over to peer in - and there was a clatter. Phone had slid out of pocket, down the side of the tank and finished on the ground. Mercifully it still worked. More mercifully, the sound I heard was CLATTER not SPLASH.

SHUNTERS…
Always treat the shunter with the utmost respect, REMEMBER, it’s his yard and woe betide anyone who thinks different
The shunter is a rare and fickle breed who, depending on how he is treated, can make or break your day. Ask nicely & the yard is your oyster, the shunter may even couple up a trailer for you, but start ranting & raving at him 'cos you can’t find your trailer or your fridge won’t work, then look out…He knows you have to depart at 03:30 but he won’t be bothered on what day you depart if you’ve just upset him.

Probably obvious this one! Wherever you go, especially to tip, make sure you can get out BEFORE getting yourself in a tight corner.
What may seem an easy manoeuvre to drive in forward can be a real pig to back out…

The best bit of advice that I was ever given regarding reversing was, ”Always get your trailer pointing where you want it to go before you start going backwards".

As a newly qualified driver I do not feel privileged to reply here, however what I have found really really helpful (please do not laugh) is a spare pair of gloves, some toilet paper and moist wipes, and some refreshingly cool wipes made by wet-wipe. 100 for a £1 i think they cost, in lemon fragrance. Great for wiping the sweat of the old forehead on a warm day good for wiping grimy hands as well.

Oh and something else I found useful. A leather man tool pocket kit thing and a mag lite.

Oh well that’s it drive safely everybody as I have learnt a very important thing the majority of other drivers on the roads have one thing in common

“I haven’t got 2 minutes to live. I must beat the lorry at all costs”

One thing to always remember, whether a 20 year old veteran of the road, or a new starter, Learn something new every day, the day you think you have nothing left to learn, is the day to hang up your keys, on that day you cease to be a professional driver and become a danger to yourself and everyone else on the road

At our company we have started to carry “disposal cameras” for your own insurance and evidence. If you ever have that prang or accident a picture speaks a thousand words.

I recommend you carry some crocodile clips or a rubber band of some sort.

You will no doubt come accross a trailer with a faulty number plate holder. So you will need either of these items to secure it.

A couple of little ones about trailers:-

1. Don’t just swing the doors open, take a look if someone’s coming. (They hurt you know.)

2. If its windy don’t just swing the doors open as they can come back and smack you as you go to open the other. (That’s how I found they hurt.)

3. Windy! Do the windward curtain first as its makes the other one easier. (Obvious but surprising how many struggle.)

4 If the curtains move easy don’t run with them because if it snags, you go arse over ■■■ with everyone watching…

Quick warning for the newbies, how NOT to couple up to a trailer…

I had to get this trailer, which was parked well back in a row of closely parked trailers. Dropped suspension, backed up, lifted trailer, backup into coupling, clunk tugged forward, all fine up to that point.

Tried to open cab door… AHHRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG, too close to trailers on either side!! couldn’t pull out, couldn’t get out of cab!!

Waited for another driver to pass, who immediately came to my aid-- not! Instead he went to get every other driver in the depot, presumably to ask their advise on the situation.

Took me a while to live that one down!

Also carry a highlighter pen and each time you look up a new location Highlight it.

Saves time when you next look for it. Also reminds you that you’ve been there before.

I always carry some bulldog clips so that
I can follow my route painlessly when it suddenly flips from page 22 to page 185 - I also wear bifocals 'cos being a bit of an old bloke I need specs to read a map, but not to see the traffic lights - if I only had reading glasses I’d have to keep taking them on and off.

When you look at your map book to find the location you want. Always make sure you have the right County. There are many small towns with the same name. Examples are Hythe, Upton, St Ives. Better safe than sorry.

I’ve been in this game for a long time (over 25 years). Last week I almost dropped a trailer with the legs up, a mate I hadn’t seen for a long time came over to speak to me.

Before pulling out I always do a quick check - Legs, pipes (suzies), pin and plate. Always always always.

This is a dangerous game, people can die if you make a mistake, and you could be one of the dead. 44t-ish on the loose■■?

Just a little piece of advice for when you pass your test. When coupling or uncoupling never let anybody distract you.

Tell them in a polite manner to come back when you have finished.

Best of luck to you