Hino Info Please

Ive seen a very tidy Hino tipper 700 which, after many years of talking about it, will be my first and last lorry, so Im hoping to get this purchase right.I had a quick drive around the yard, and I found the gearchange quite stiff.She was cold and I know this gear change issue is a Hino trait, but does anyone have experience of a newer Hino with the air assist pack on the ZF or an older one that has been converted/uprated. Does it make much difference? Im going to get the guy who will maintain her to check her over and also do a much longer test drive.The gearchange on my possible purchase may just need some adjusting.I know the ‘swamp donkey’ isn’t for everyone but I just want simple as its going on muck and stone.Thanks in advance for your help.

Parts prices are a bit steep and there’s not much in the way of pattern parts available. They are a bit thirsty too. But like for like a lot cheaper than a scania or Volvo

Not sure about the gearbox as I only drove an 05 model with a different front spring, the later ones have a different set up which leaves a smoother ride. Change the seat for an Iveco stralis one and it’ll be far more comfortable. They are a good solid wagon and are very reliable despite what anyone says. I personally don’t like them as they are a sow on diesel. They are strong and you could tip them on the side of a mountion!
Best of luck with it, I’ll ask tomorrow in the quarry about the gear change.
Cheers
John

I ran a 55-plate 6x4 for three years. I’ve given my opinions numerous times, the “search” function should help if your interested.

Thanks for the replies.I have read up as much as I can and they seem to be a ‘marmite’ truck.If I do get her Im hoping that some steady driving and regular maintenance will keep her rolling. Its the gearchange in particular that Im after info on. The new ones have air assist which transforms the gear change, and which is apparently able to be retro fitted to earlier models.I contacted a dealer today but they knew nothing of this, and they are going to contact Harris to get part numbers and prices.
I was hoping to hear some views of drivers who have the air pack on theirs, and is it as good as I’ve heard?

and if you need spares, try over here. Parts are plentyfull :smiley:

Had a Hino over 5 years now, been a good motor the gear change is like a stick in a bucket of ■■■, heavy on fuel but not a problem as any motor will be thirsty working in London traffic,parts can be expensive the local main dealer in Crayford can supply springs that are better than original at sensible money, filters etc your local factor should be able to supply"Fleetgard" or “Blueprint”, rear lamps “Rubbolite”, make sure you get one with self lube system as they have more ■■■■■■■ than I’ve seen in a long time :frowning:

How about an update pls? did you buy the Hino if so what do you think off it?

There is no air kit for the gearchange according to Hino in Dublin.Think Im going the Scania route, which will be good news for the bloke who will maintain it,hes a Scania man.Dealers are nearby too.Thanks for the replies