Hino common faults

Any users or fitters , what are the most common things that go wrong . Not if you like them or not , just what actually goes wrong in real daily use . 8x4 tipper spec , circa 57 plate or near about .
Cheers

best putting this in owner’s or fleet owner’s forum.

the only thing i’ve heard is;
very simple to maintain, put part’s can be expensive.
bit more juicy to run, than other make’s
heard that they tend to eat through rear drum’s aswell.

Thanks Phil
I know you are trying to help but I would prefer to hear from anyone driving one daily or repairing them . I hear lots and am about to buy one so wondering what other owners have had go wrong.

The one near me needed a turbo at 200k, various wiring faults, broken springs, rear spring trunion bearings, all faults which happen to other makes as well.

The demonstrator we had (700 series), the drivers’ seat was splitting and switches had broken off. I’ve heard an od who does work occasionally for us mention rear spring problems too.

Cheers fellas , so far nothing catastrophic . Did wonder if they suffered from big problems diffs , box , engine .

Funnily enough Roller, when I’ve asked people what they think of them, they say “crap” but never elaborate like people do with say, Daf CFs (sunvisors, driving position etc). Some of it could be snobbery or embarassed they used to drive a (whatever) and think they’re now slumming it.

IIRC, the box is a 16spd ZF manual…

From what I’ve heard driveline is pretty bullet proof my mate had a turbo go on a 07 plate that was pricey but what isn’t. Back brake system is a bit ■■■■■■■■■■ think it’s expanding wedge type. Not heard about springs etc but that can often be down to the driver.

turbo common and expensive, dealer only parts can be a problem, resale value v poor hence the lower purchase price in the first place.

Cheers fellas , lower purchase price is why I am in , looks like you get what you pay for like all things in life . I will try to find a decent one , cheers to all for the help .

I think one of the O/D’s on the O/D forum runs an 8wheeler Hino tipper, “Pursey”/“Hammer” or “Fuse”. :sunglasses:

Big Truck:
I think one of the O/D’s on the O/D forum runs an 8wheeler Hino tipper, “Pursey”/“Hammer” or “Fuse”. :sunglasses:

Hammer runs a Hino 6w tipper.

The bushes on the rear end go. There are 10 or 12 of them but they are relatively cheap. They should last 2 years.

I did break a rear spring which was entirely my fault.

I had a clutch go at 240k.

The battery box area is a bit of a disaster, you get all kinds of leaves and crap behind it and can cause problem if a regular quarry wheelwash fires at that height. The brackets that hold the batteries in place can break. Its nothing major but wants keeping an eye on.

Also, next to the batteries is a fuse box. Before you buy, open it and check for water ingress or it’ll rot. I caught mine in time and managed to seal it up ok but one of the others in my yard had to have a new fuse box.

There is a cooler for the gearbox oil stupidly positioned in front of the drivers front wheel. It has a rubber valance over it but its still in a stupid place. It can clog with road crap but again, I’ve had no problems.

Erm…oh yeah, if your buying a tipper check that the hydraulic pipes off the ram are clear of the gear linkage. Before I had mine the main hydraulic pipe had been rubbing on the gear linkage. A simple tie-rap job sorted that.

Inside, I’ve found everything pretty sturdy. The electric mirror control doesn’t work, mainly cos it didn’t have leccy mirrors by the time I bought it! Nothing else has broken IIRC.

Hope this helps, any more questions let me know.

Cheers Hammer , thats just the sort of stuff I wanted to know . There is one near me that I am trying to buy if it turns out ok .

Do “Hinos” make any sort of unusual sound from the back end when turning , bit like a clicking . Maybe that is the bushes you mention . I will go to a Hino dealer and see if they can shed some light on this matter. Something just doesn’t sound the same as Volvos, Fodens and Mans I have had . Maybe I should listen to another Hino for comparison .
Many thanks