Hindhead tunnel

Was just returning from Fareham on the M27 - the tunnel is shut. Sorry no more detail than that on the overhead gantry…

They are working on the tunnels power supply.
next 5 Saturdays 10 pm till 6 am till 22nd nov

Cheers. I know not to start working nights on that stretch now…

That tunnel is “closed for maintenance” even more often than Round Hill tunnel folkstone. :unamused:

You know what makes me laugh about this situation, when the Hindhead tunnel is closed ?

1. Why not just work on one bore at a time, thus using the contraflow system in the other bore?
  2. How the hell can this newly built tunnel need so much maintenance work on it anyway?
    and
  3. Why didn’t they keep the old route via Hindhead, available for use for when the need arises, i.e. in a situation like this. Has anybody seen and/or used the diversion route, what a joke.

“help help Tory voting villiage in distress!”

Winseer:

Humph there’s always someone dragging the tone down, mentioning politics… :confused:

Hindhead tunnel will be close for the next four Saturday evenings from 10pm to 6pm :open_mouth:

getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey- … re-7956787

Cost £371 million and they closed the old road… what where they thinking :question:

Sumsmeister:

Winseer:

Humph there’s always someone dragging the tone down, mentioning politics… :confused:

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I was jolly well ■■■■■■ off when the A5 into Redbourne/St Albans got re-assigned as the A5183 - just to please the NIMBY numpties!

I can’t imagine trucks being banned in a busy town up north where the only work in a district of 2-up-2-down houses is the transport yard…

The former A5 of which I speak is wide enough to land an aircraft - so it wasn’t done for “space shortage” reasons.
Imagine the killing these safe-seaters made on their properties - once the trucks stopped rolling?

Meanwhile, We, down in Kent DON’T get our Airport - Why? - Because a handfull of local Isle of Grain Tory-voters and Labour-Voting Benefit scoungers DON’T want “loads of work coming to their area soon”. If there were suddenly a 5-figure number of above-minimum wage jobs created - NO ONE would have an excuse to keep on claiming JSA any more would they?

Me? - I was rather hoping for the airport to get built, a firm like Saints to open a yard there, and my house to more than double in price. :sunglasses:
“You can’t stop progress” - unless the local politicians think it’s “toxic” to their election campaigns. :angry:

Heathrow gets pushed to be expanded instead, when the Labour local population don’t want it, the area don’t have any spare workforce left,and there’s no space to build more houses - let alone extend an airport!

To be fair Surrey’s residents have taken more than their fair share of the nation’s infrastructure and development.Ironically all the tunnel has done is to make the A3 more attractive.Thereby taking traffic off the M3 and putting it on the A3 instead.Thereby making the balance of traffic levels and speeds on the A3 v the M3 worse than before.Ironically to the point where it is a worse road to use than before while the M3 has less traffic and is a better road to use than before.That’s in addition to all the extra traffic at it’s entry points near London which has just been moved from the London end of the M3 to the A3 where there’s less capacity to deal with it.

As for yet more airport capacity in the South East we’ve already got more than our fair share in the form of Heathrow,Luton,Gatwick and Stansted.It’s time that the North started taking its fair share of the country’s development and give the South East a rest.

I can’t see that argument.

If went to Southampton down the M3 before, I’ll still be going that way now.
If I were going to Portsmouth, I’d have been driving down the A3 in the first place.

Who wants to bugger about driving down the “alternative route” you suggest, only to get stuck in the frequent traffic hold-ups along the M27? :unamused:

Winseer:
I can’t see that argument.

If went to Southampton down the M3 before, I’ll still be going that way now.
If I were going to Portsmouth, I’d have been driving down the A3 in the first place.

Who wants to bugger about driving down the “alternative route” you suggest, only to get stuck in the frequent traffic hold-ups along the M27? :unamused:

I’m only basing my views on the real massive increase in traffic on the road since the tunnel was put in and at its northern end access points like Oxshott, Tolworth and New Malden for example,while traffic levels seem to have improved in that regard in the case of the M3.It seems obvious that a lot of people aren’t listening to your advice being that there’s no reason to think that Portsmouth is any more of a growing destination to explain such a massive increase in traffic using the A3 since the tunnel was built.Although the same might also be applying in the case of traffic now using the A3 instead of the M25 and M23 for access to West Sussex too in addition.I for one have given up using the road between Esher and Guildford as I regularly used to because of the ridiculous increase in traffic using it.Which makes it no longer worth bothering with being that at best now it’s now mainly just a relatively slower running traffic clogged road much like the M3 has been for years.With the increased risk of being caught between junctions in a massive traffic jam.

The reality is that Hindhead has been provided with an expensive ‘by pass’ at the expense of attracting more traffic onto the A3 which in general now makes it a less worthwhile route than it was before while also creating more traffic issues around the road’s northern access points.

I regularly pop back done the A3 and tbh the only busy bit is Guildford. Top of the hill coming out of Guildford you lose between a quarter and a third of the traffic volume and after that you’re fine in a wagon. There’s only the roundabout for Bordon/Liss after that.
The M-[zb]-twenty-[zb]seven is one of the most bad-tempered roads anywhere :smiling_imp:
I even put my own [zb]s in there because I couldn’t find a better way to say it.