Hills of Swindon

has anyone photos or stories of this company from Swindon ?

shakysteve:
has anyone photos or stories of this company from Swindon ?

Anyone ?

For a company as big as Hills Steve, you would think someone would have a photo or two, no I havn’t got any ether Wish I had. I can remember Hills since I was a little kid…yeah I know that’s going back a bit…before you say it. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

altitude:
For a company as big as Hills Steve, you would think someone would have a photo or two, no I havn’t got any ether Wish I had. I can remember Hills since I was a little kid…yeah I know that’s going back a bit…before you say it. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Who me !!!

Yeah you!!! I will get my mate Mr C. onto you… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

altitude:
Yeah you!!! I will get my mate Mr C. onto you… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And ill tell him NOT to let you in next time,!!!

Thanks for that I’d rather not come in, what comes out of there is going the wrong way for me, It involves nights out, I need to be home at night at my age!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Is this the firm your looking for.Photos by Adrian Cypher on transportphotos.com

CX00080.jpg
CX00081.jpg
CX00082.jpg
CX00091.jpg
CX00366.jpg

I went with Dad into Purton landfill a few times around 1992-3 with contaminated muck. That place stank! I remember some Welsh bulkers would tip this purplish muck that was quickly covered over. Possibly waste from steelworks?
Smiths Bletchingtons’ first quarry manager at Gill Mill, Alan McKenzie left to join Hills and became a director I believe? In reverse, one of Hills’ men, Bob Bacon became Gill Mills’ manager- a nice chap to.

Smiths used to have the contract to haul screened soft sand from Hills at Tubney Wood to Readymix at Hardwick. I used to do this a lot, as a backload after local deliveries.
Tubney Wood is exhausted now and just used for inert tipping and recycling. Last year it was like the Somme in there. Soft sand is now dug from Upwood Farm pit, about half a mile away on the A338.

I noticed Hills have switched from MAN to Volvo for their 8wheelers recently.

Forgot to mention, Lockharts ran several ex Hills Merc SKs until quite recently.

Muckaway:
Forgot to mention, Lockharts ran several ex Hills Merc SKs until quite recently.

Nathon what SKs were they then as i can only remember an 8x4 REL !!! Steve.

shakysteve:

Muckaway:

I got to agree with you Steve, I don’t remember Hill’s running SK’s, but then I was away for a while so a could have missed it.

altitude:

shakysteve:

Muckaway:

I got to agree with you Steve, I don’t remember Hill’s running SK’s, but then I was away for a while so a could have missed it.

I think there was one ,the 2nd steer axle was swiss to make it an 8x4 pile of POOOOO ,Steve.