Hill hire/Ryder

Anyone else noticed hill hire have gone downhill since Ryder bought them?

Had one depot (Birmingham) charging me £520 per week for a tractor unit and a couple of months later another depot (Northampton) charging me £400 for a similar 6x2 unit. How is this justified.

I have only got a handful of invoices off them in the past 3 months, I get a statement monthly and have to guess what each debit relates to.

They don’t open on Saturdays anymore.

Now to cap it off, I’m being chased for 6 weeks trailer rental after I dropped it in their yard for de hire.

I appreciate i’m not a big customer of theirs but are they now too big to care anymore? If they treat larger customers like this, I can see dawsons getting bigger.

To borrow an apt phrase, I just don’t believe it.

Wouldn’t surprise me I’d have said the condition of their fleet disposals has deteriorated badly - Hill Hire was almost always very good condition.

Dealt with Bradford depot quite a bit. Firm I worked for had 22 units from them. They didn’t have a clue when MOTs were due then when trucks did go in for mot, they never got done on time.

They would give us a ‘loan’ truck and a few weeks after it went back, they would ring up and ask if we still had it! They did this a few times.

Hill hire used to change your tyres when they got to 3mm which gave gout a good safety margin. Ryder on the other hand won’t change then until the cord is almost popping out!!

Ps. I should have said that I wrote that message while I am sat on the roadside waiting for a Ryder mechanic to come to my rescue. Low oil pressure warning came on with the dipstick still showing half full.:cry:

I even rang the guy at oldbury on the monday after i’d dropped the trailer in on saturday as agreed with regard to volunteering some damage that occurred to the trailer and to apologise for taking the internal straps out and just chucking them in the back for the mechs to fit back on.

Who volunteers damage on de hire? Too honest, my problem. All that’s happened is he’s forgot to de hire it on the Monday and is now blagging it to cover himself or is just deluded. I can’t stand liars!

Been a hill hire customer for about 6 years with no probs but after dealing with Ryder for 3 months, I think I’ll have to see them in court to resolve the overcharge which is a shame, good job my brothers a solicitor!

As regards the state of the spot rental fleet, they only now seem interested about contract hire with large customers which is fair enough I suppose, just a shame as hill hire always had good kit available at decent money.

Nearly every Hill Hire unit I have driven has been dirty and borderline serviceable.

Silver_Surfer:
I even rang the guy at oldbury on the monday after i’d dropped the trailer in on saturday as agreed with regard to volunteering some damage that occurred to the trailer and to apologise for taking the internal straps out and just chucking them in the back for the mechs to fit back on.

Who volunteers damage on de hire? Too honest, my problem. All that’s happened is he’s forgot to de hire it on the Monday and is now blagging it to cover himself or is just deluded. I can’t stand liars!

Been a hill hire customer for about 6 years with no probs but after dealing with Ryder for 3 months, I think I’ll have to see them in court to resolve the overcharge which is a shame, good job my brothers a solicitor!

As regards the state of the spot rental fleet, they only now seem interested about contract hire with large customers which is fair enough I suppose, just a shame as hill hire always had good kit available at decent money.

if you have damaged it then expect to pay hire charges until its repaired and available for rehire again