HIGHWAYS TRAFFIC OFFICERS what do you think of them?

This topic was created on the back of the BBC motorway cops subject.

Please add you thoughts on motorway/traffic law?

what you would like to see patrolling/policing the motorway?

Roadworks issues you have encountered?

What you think of highways traffic officers (HATOs)?

Any questions you may have for traffic officers on this site?

Not had any deallings with them, but I do see them as PCSOs of the roads, they are a cheaper alternative to the real thing, how many Dibs do you see these days just patrolling the Motorways…not many.
No disrespest to them(HATO) but we need MORE dibs, not more HATOs.
Today I have gone from Nuneaton to Manchester to Wrexham and I’m now at the A41/ M54 and I have not seen a Dib all day!!!

hato’s would do a valuable job at motorway incidents if they’d do something rather than just turning on their hazard lights and looking at the traffic jam. They should be able to tow stranded vehicles off the motorway.

The only time I see any motorway police is when they are on a training exersise chasing each other up and down the motorway.

Any of you seen them do this?

They usually start on the hatched area outside the MSA.on the slip road.One flies off followed by the other one a few minutes later playing catch up.

Then up to the next junction and back down the other side. One of them, the chaser got the whole thing wrong and nearly ended up embeded in the back of me, swerving from lane 3 to lane 2 then back to lane 3. All this at breakneck speed with no siren.

HATOs cannot tow stranded vehicles off network as this is taking work away from recovery operators.Only in extreme circumstances.They can clear a vehicle to the h/s from the c/way but in some instances,this is not possible.EG: A broken down car in lane three stuck in park.By dragging to the h/s,we would cause more damage,which the HA would then be liable for.

HATO, wanabe traffic cops,

road works, too much information for a vehicle travelling at 70 to take in

More done about lane disipline, fines for middle lane hoggers doing 50mph.

Here in Scotland we have very few motorway patrols and very few incidents on the motorways, all we have is an incident support unit that cones off lanes when an incident occurs.
It seems to work

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
HATO, wanabe traffic cops,

road works, too much information for a vehicle travelling at 70 to take in

More done about lane disipline, fines for middle lane hoggers doing 50mph.

Here in Scotland we have very few motorway patrols and very few incidents on the motorways, all we have is an incident support unit that cones off lanes when an incident occurs.
It seems to work

yea i see that van parked up on the motorway next to the other halfs at hillend.
seems to work though, least weknow whats going on evenw hen we aint near it.

extrucker:
They can clear a vehicle to the h/s from the c/way but in some instances,this is not possible.EG: A broken down car in lane three stuck in park.By dragging to the h/s,we would cause more damage,which the HA would then be liable for.

Wanna bet :open_mouth: ,

Cost to country is a ■■■■ sight less than in the lost revenue to uk plc, if it’s live lane it’s moved end of, except in exceptional circumstances, as a Hato i’m embarrased what i see and hear sometimes on the radio, some of them need to wait for a lollipop lady to cross the carriageway :unamused: , but that could be due to the police force who trained them.

Hi to all the 5 motoryclists all pulled from live carriageway as a first on scene routine passing patrol so far this month hope you all ok. (not sat doing paperwork)
Hi to the 2 truckies and tyre fitters who had offside tyres done this week without a lane 1 closure to slow all the other truckies up.

We all have a job to do, just some make it harder work than others because we are hamstrung by procedures, and try to cover their ■■■ more.

Oh and yet again a big Ta and wave to all the truckers who manage to slide over an inch to give us a bit of room.

I had a blow-out last week on the M4 between gates 15 & 16 just past Swindon. The HATO’s tipped up a few minutes later and waited until the Tyre Fitter arrived.

They decided to close lane 1 of the carriageway to provide a safe working area for the the Tyre Fitter. I was suprised how many HGV drivers came past shaking their heads and gesturing at the HATO’s for closing the lane. Surely the safety of the tyre fitter is of some importance??.. The lane was re-opened as soon as the wheel was re-fitted, and all in all, was only closed for about fifteen minutes.

I thought they did a good job providing a safe environment for the tyre fitter and they did minimise the time the lane was closed for.

It’s still flippin’ annoying when a lane is closed, but if it saves the life of a tyre fitter or recovery driver, it’s got to be worth it, hasn’t it?..

Iggy:
I had a blow-out last week on the M4 between gates 15 & 16 just past Swindon. The HATO’s tipped up a few minutes later and waited until the Tyre Fitter arrived.

They decided to close lane 1 of the carriageway to provide a safe working area for the the Tyre Fitter. I was suprised how many HGV drivers came past shaking their heads and gesturing at the HATO’s for closing the lane. Surely the safety of the tyre fitter is of some importance??.. The lane was re-opened as soon as the wheel was re-fitted, and all in all, was only closed for about fifteen minutes.

I thought they did a good job providing a safe environment for the tyre fitter and they did minimise the time the lane was closed for.

It’s still flippin’ annoying when a lane is closed, but if it saves the life of a tyre
fitter or recovery driver, it’s got to be worth it, hasn’t it?..

Dependant on the time of day weather or not a lane closure is implemented. In most cases TOs will try and limp the stricken vehicle off the motorway under ■■■■■■ or at the very least limp the vehicle to a wider part of the hard shoulder. However this is not always possible in therefore a lane closure will be implemented to protect the fitter. It is just too risky to allow them to operate with 40 tonnes skimming 5 -6 inches passed their ■■■! The HSE says on a motorway workers should have a safe working distance of 1.2meters from the live c/way and that’s what they aim to do. This practice should not be carried out at peak times when the traffic volumes are extremely high.

Personally, I think the HATOs, in general, do a great job :smiley:

Do a small few think they are cops - possibly.

It must be frustrating for them when they see a dangerous driver and cannot do anything about it apart from what we can do - report it.

I don’t know whether they have cameras in HATO vehicles or, if they do, whether that footage can be used in court - maybe a HATO can tell me :slight_smile:

From what I gather, they have the powers to ‘Manage Traffic’ on safety issues and can stop a vehicle if a safety problem arises.

It has got to be cheaper than using cops for the non prosecution stuff but that in turn, IMO, has given the excuse for authorities to reduce the police traffic dept.

ROG:
I don’t know whether they have cameras in HATO vehicles or, if they do, whether that footage can be used in court - maybe a HATO can tell me :slight_smile:

From what I gather, they have the powers to ‘Manage Traffic’ on safety issues and can stop a vehicle if a safety problem arises.

It has got to be cheaper than using cops for the non prosecution stuff but that in turn, IMO, has given the excuse for authorities to reduce the police traffic dept.

No cameras on board only eye in the sky cctv which is always recording on to a hard drive

spot on with the 2nd point, actions on the grounds of safety

on your last point - highways are not connect to the police
HA Traffic officers work for the governments department of transport (DFT)
The police government department is the Home office
2 different department 2 different agendas! TOs requesting a police patrol is no different a member of public calling them. The police requesting TOs is no different to a member of the public calling the highways 0845 7 50 40 30 number.
If called to court HATOs are not called as expert witnesses not even to give evidence on traffic management matters they can only give an account as a member of public.
That’s it ! no more no less any enforcement is down to the discretion of the police if they attend incidents.

The lorry drivers shaking their heads because they sat in a small traffic jam caused by a lane one closure for a tyre fitter to work,would be shaking their heads a lot more when the tyre fitter changes the wheel without a closure,gets killed by a driver not paying attention and the m/way is closed for 4-5 hours for Collision Investigation to carry out their work.
Yes,we are there to ease congestion but if it means that us,other emergency services,recovery operators etc get to go home at the end of the day by closing a lane,then unfortunately congestion will happen.
The incident on the A1M where the fire fighter got killed,and another fire fighter and HATO were seriuosly injured,shows how it can go so wrong,so quickly.If a lane closure had been implemented at the scene,the fire fighter might be alive today and two small children would still have a dad.
But obviously,some drivers schedule is more important than some one else’s life.

Its the bloody rubber neckers who cause delays, as soon as they see a flashing light of any colour they slow down to have a look, couple this with misleading “Driver information systems” and poor motor way driving in general then I think the HATO’s do well to stay alive.

Lighting mcqueen:
This topic was created on the back of the BBC motorway cops subject.
Please add you thoughts on motorway/traffic law?
what you would like to see patrolling/policing the motorway?
Roadworks issues you have encountered?
Any questions you may have for traffic officers on this site?

:imp: Firstly - GIVE WAY signs to be erected at all motorway on-slips. Make it a specific offence to have fog-lights on when it`s not foggy - front or back ones!
Also make it an offence to hog the middle and outside lanes.

Second - More Hatos and more Traffic Police ( dons flak jacket and awaits incoming fire )

Thirdly - Average speed cameras to be put up facing the rear of vehicles, aswell as the front - this will get the motorbikes who always seem to fly past me through roadworks!
Why the hell do they always seem to need to cone off lanes 1 & 2 when working on the hard shoulders at night-time, is`nt lane 1 enough ?

As for the last subject/question, I think the HATOs do a cracking job in very difficult conditions - I wonder just how many of the HATO-HATERS would have the bottle to do the job themselves :unamused:

speedyguy:

extrucker:
They can clear a vehicle to the h/s from the c/way but in some instances,this is not possible.EG: A broken down car in lane three stuck in park.By dragging to the h/s,we would cause more damage,which the HA would then be liable for.

Wanna bet :open_mouth: ,

Gee. Is this turning into a ‘domestic’? :laughing: :laughing:

‘Damage’ would be little more that flat spots on a couple of tyres.

Power of traffic officer to require removal of vehicles from relevant roads
3.–(1) This regulation applies to a vehicle which–
(a) has broken down, or been permitted to remain at rest, on a relevant road in such a position or in such condition or in such circumstances as to cause obstruction to other persons using the road or as to be likely to cause danger to such persons; or
(b) has been permitted to remain at rest, or has broken down and remained at rest, on a relevant road in contravention of a prohibition or restriction contained in, or having effect under, any enactment mentioned in Schedule 1…

Power of traffic officer to remove vehicles from relevant roads
4.–(1) This regulation applies to a vehicle which–
(a) is a vehicle to which regulation 3 applies;…

(3) In exercising this power he may move it, or arrange for it to be moved, to another position on any road or to any other place.

The guiding Judicial decision in relation to this question goes back to the Aberfan disaster of…1966(?) This was the event where, after heavy rain, mud and slag slid down a hill and engulfed a school. Killing a large number of children.

Naturally, following the event, the sightseers and ‘ghouls’ descended upon the scene and, one of whom, parked (from memory) a brand new Rover 95 obstructing one of the main access routes for rescue equipment. When the owner could not located, and when the only other avenue (in those days, gash keys) failed to provide access to the vehicle. The decision was made to utilise a mobile crane, fitted with a four pronged grab, to lift it up by its roof and deposit it in an adjacent field.

Obviously, in the process, it became a ‘write off’.

The Insurer’s for the vehicle then sued the Police Force in question. In deciding the case the Court took notice of, what was then, the Removal of Vehicles Act. The contents and wording of which essentially amounts to a forerunner of the The Removal and Disposal of Vehicles (Traffic Officers)
(England) Regulations 2008.

IIRC, the decision went to Appeal. The final outcome was that, in the absence of other practicable means of removing the vehicle, and in the circumstances pertaining, the Force was not liable for the damage.

As I am unaware of any other decisions that might supersede this judgement, then TBH, I’m surprised that it is not ‘taught’ within the training syllabus.

I moved one to clear a lane on the M5 a week or so ago. Front stove in. Two ‘well flatted’ tyres on the offside. (I never bothered looking at the nearside. :unamused: ) Got the keys off the driver. Engine started. A few uneven revolutions later, and an additional lane was open.

God. It STUNK afterwards. :laughing:

sharky the shredder:
I wonder just how many of the HATO-HATERS would have the bottle to do the job themselves :unamused:

I couldnt do it. I think watching that Swedish bird get hit by that truck would have done it for me and they have to see alot worse than that.

ROG:
I don’t know whether they have cameras in HATO vehicles or, if they do, whether that footage can be used in court - maybe a HATO can tell me.

As stated in another, infamous,5 page thread, Joe Public can have video recording equipment and offer it as evidence, so I would be suprised if they havent.

Lighting mcqueen:

Most of them are very nice.
Some could do with loosing a few pounds though.

Darby Flyer:
As stated in another, infamous,5 page thread, Joe Public can have video recording equipment and offer it as evidence, so I would be suprised if they havent.

Be surprised then!

NW_HATO:

Lighting mcqueen:

Most of them are very nice.
Some could do with loosing a few pounds though.

No chance, have you seen how cold it is on top of Shap during the winter :open_mouth: These extra few pounds stave off hypothermia I can assure you!! :wink: