Highways agency- Youve broken me!

Well after a year on nights ive finally had enough and took a new job with 4 am starts and a fixed route.
The constant programme of road closures is now getting extreme. Worksop to Telford last night and 3 road closures putting 45 mins onto my journey. Cant be arsed with it.
Good luck to all you night trunkers, you are going to need it!

Regards,
Richard.

There’s dozens of Jobs going for HETO’s in a few parts of the country on
Highways England Jobs,
You can join in the fun☺
They’ve broken me that’s why I’ve just renewed my HGV and am looking at options.

So, let me get this right. You give up driving during the quiet night, through empty roadworks, with a possible option of finding a suitable detour yourself, to go and drive through those roadworks during the morning rush hour?

I always liked an unexpected diversion when I worked nights, it broke up the monotony of motorway driving.

I guess some people just can’t handle anything other than three wide lanes of traffic all moving in the same direction though. :wink:

I’m with you contraflow, the amount of times I used to use the nationals in Italy and France, day or night, just to break the monotany, doesn’t bare thinking about

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
id rather do Bristol to Plymouth at night than any of our other routes in day time

nodding donkey:
So, let me get this right. You give up driving during the quiet night, through empty roadworks

ROFLMAO. Last Thursday night just before midnight I spent an hour and a half in a queue on the M6 from just north of the M54 for the J12 closure and then spent 40 minutes to travel 10 miles on the detour. That was after spending half an hour in a queue just before the M6/M42 split.

It is obvious you don’t drive nights.

Happily I don’t do nights anymore, or weekends come to that. Just as well really as this week I have seen signs telling me that this weekend, overnight from 20:00 sat until 06:00 sun, and in one case it’s until 11:00, various parts of the A1M, M1, M62, M60 & A19 are closed, and that’s just in the north! Next time I come back I will head for the Tarmac industry, or own a road cone making factory.

Think its crazy all these threads getting angry at them actually fixing the roads, other option would be to leave them to be full of massive ruts and pot holes.

Or instead close likes of the M6 and M1 during the day during the week and watch the whole country grind to a halt in a few hours.

Rich The Stag:
Well after a year on nights ive finally had enough and took a new job with 4 am starts and a fixed route.
The constant programme of road closures is now getting extreme. Worksop to Telford last night and 3 road closures putting 45 mins onto my journey. Cant be arsed with it.
Good luck to all you night trunkers, you are going to need it!

Regards,
Richard.

Ooooh the mistake you just made!!!

I recently came off nights and onto a day shift set route. I know I shouldn’t be saying this, I know some guys on here will be giving it “If that bothers you, get a new career…ect” but I’m just about at boiling point with the amount of slow drivers bimbling about at 40-45 mph on motorways!!! Driving along the M8 at 52mph and the motorway comes to a near halt in front of me, finally get to the route of the problem. A car sitting at around 35mph. And again I stress, I am in now way pushed to do things quickly.

I hope I can get used to this soon or I’ll be back on nights again. Days has it’s good points but I’m afraid less annoyance is not one of them.

Good luck with it, remember your sunglasses :sunglasses:

Conor:

nodding donkey:
So, let me get this right. You give up driving during the quiet night, through empty roadworks

ROFLMAO. Last Thursday night just before midnight I spent an hour and a half in a queue on the M6 from just north of the M54 for the J12 closure and then spent 40 minutes to travel 10 miles on the detour. That was after spending half an hour in a queue just before the M6/M42 split.

It is obvious you don’t drive nights.

Oh dear-just think about how all this traffic is increasing pollution and affecting the environment ~ (comments after reading signature). :smiley:

Ooooh the mistake you just made!!!

I recently came off nights and onto a day shift set route. I know I shouldn’t be saying this, I know some guys on here will be giving it “If that bothers you, get a new career…ect” but I’m just about at boiling point with the amount of slow drivers bimbling about at 40-45 mph on motorways!!! Driving along the M8 at 52mph and the motorway comes to a near halt in front of me, finally get to the route of the problem. A car sitting at around 35mph. And again I stress, I am in now way pushed to do things quickly.

I hope I can get used to this soon or I’ll be back on nights again. Days has it’s good points but I’m afraid less annoyance is not one of them.

Good luck with it, remember your sunglasses :sunglasses:

Yip that’s the M8 for you, like that everyday usually vans